Is it appropriate to talk about financials in Why X's?

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
Lankhs

Is it appropriate to talk about financials in Why X's?

Post by Lankhs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:41 pm

Was thinking about mentioning in my Why UVA that I'm REALLY interested in them because I am not interested in paying sticker or near it anywhere, and that's why I'm not as interested in H, Y, or S. Obviously, this isn't the right way to say it. I'm not sure what the correct way is, and if it's appropriate to even discuss financials in the Why X?

UVA2B

Re: Is it appropriate to talk about financials in Why X's?

Post by UVA2B » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:57 pm

No, you won't want to do this, because it assumes you deserve a scholarship from UVA, which will be off-putting. Just talk about your genuine interest in the school and how it fits your goals, plus any personal reasons about UVA (love Charlottesville, want to be close to family in Richmond, played softball in college, etc.). They want to know why you're genuinely interested in UVA, and if you sell that and you're otherwise competitive for a scholarship, you'll be considered for one. But admissions doesn't want you to effectively say, "why would I pay so much for a school like Harvard when I can pay way less for UVA when you give me a Dillard." I know you'll make it sound better than that, but even risking that sort of interpretation is an unnecessary risk for something that is just meant to give admissions confidence that you really want UVA.

emkay625

Post by emkay625 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:00 pm

I don't think I would discuss this. For one thing, you haven't been offered a scholarship yet, so it seems a little assuming. Try to find genuine, substantive reasons to discuss instead. I don't think you should be mentioning other schools, at all. Seems like if your gf/bf asked you why you liked them and your response was just to talk about why you didn't like your exes.

Lankhs

Post by Lankhs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Okay, thank you! Yeah, it felt a little cocky putting it in so I figured I'd ask here first.

Legally Bland

Post by Legally Bland » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:29 pm

I don't see any reason to mention it. Articulate why you want to go there and would be a good fit.

How would you feel if you're an adcom reading "I just want a full ride, and you happen to be the highest ranked school that might give me one"

Tsuga

Post by Tsuga » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:52 pm

Slight hijack: How about LRAP? It's not presumptuous since it's not merit-based, and ostensibly schools set them up to attract and support PI-oriented students.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:07 pm

Yes, mentioning their LRAP because you think it's strong is something worth bringing up.

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:42 pm

In a similar vein, I would imagine that lauding a school's "support for students from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds" or similar delivers much of OP's intended message without risking the air of entitlement.

PanjandrumOfReason

Post by PanjandrumOfReason » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:02 pm

LOL omg, I totally cited scholarships as a reason in one of my why X's. :?

I figured everyone knows that's the primary reason why anyone would pass up HYS, so no point trying to act otherwise.

californialawz

Post by californialawz » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:03 pm

Nobody should even be telling you this. If you’re cocky and dumb enough to think it’s okay to tell a school you expect a scholarship then do it :)

Tsuga

Post by Tsuga » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:12 pm

californialawz wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:03 pm
Nobody should even be telling you this. If you’re cocky and dumb enough to think it’s okay to tell a school you expect a scholarship then do it :)
Geez, try being nicer :)

Lankhs

Post by Lankhs » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:52 pm

californialawz wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:03 pm
haha, definitely not my intention. Appreciate the advice.

NukinFutz

Post by NukinFutz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:12 am

PanjandrumOfReason wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:02 pm

I figured everyone knows that's the primary reason why anyone would pass up HYS, so no point trying to act otherwise.
Tell me your kidding. Sharpe enough to get yourself into HYS but couldn't figure out that is a terrible idea?

PanjandrumOfReason

Post by PanjandrumOfReason » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:41 pm

NukinFutz wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:12 am

Tell me your kidding. Sharpe enough to get yourself into HYS but couldn't figure out that is a terrible idea?
Totally telling the truth, my friend. My entire cycle is an exercise in risk-taking. Some might consider my personal statement ill-advised as well, but at least it is brutally honest. And, unfortunately, I have not been admitted into HYS. :(

NukinFutz

Post by NukinFutz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:19 am

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:41 pm
NukinFutz wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:12 am

Totally telling the truth, my friend. My entire cycle is an exercise in risk-taking. Some might consider my personal statement ill-advised as well, but at least it is brutally honest. And, unfortunately, I have not been admitted into HYS. :(
Kudos to you. You have way more moxie than I, or most of us for that matter. I hope it works for you. Sometimes different does the trick. As with any massive risk, sometimes it pays off big while the majority of the time it results in massive failure. I hope you find the former to be upon you.