LSL Veterans Thread

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
MT Cicero

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by MT Cicero » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:50 pm

I am in the process of updating the spreadsheet for 2018-19 GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon at approximately the top 100 USNews schools (had to stop somewhere). I already have the updated tuition amounts for most of the schools, and am just waiting on the VA site to update with this year's school amounts. I saw that NYU and Columbia (on their sites) have increased from $20K to $30K (C) and Unlimited (N), so now are both firmly back in the "free" camp. I'll wait for the site to update for the rest, since it should happen any day now.

Will post when complete!

covfefe

Post by covfefe » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:18 am

UVA2B wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:40 am
You will be able to file paperwork wherever you end up attending. Keep in mind that the school you ultimately attend will have to file paperwork with the VA to get the money disbursed. So you’ll get your school your COE, then they’ll have you fill out some short paperwork so they can apply to the VA, then the VA will pay what they have to pay based on tuition and your percent eligibility.

You won’t fill that paperwork out until you know what school you’re attending with certainty. And if you change schools due to getting off a waitlist, etc., then you’ll have to tell your old school you’re no longer attending, and if paperwork is filled out already, you’ll need them to reach out to the VA to cancel their request.
Bouncing off of this question you were answering a few months back - is there some point at which I actually cannot transfer VA benefits? At some point I imagine the VA actually disburses money to the school at which I'm enrolled; if I get in off a waitlist after that point, am I SOL, or is there still a way to transfer the benefits? I'm having trouble finding an answer to that question.

Hinez

Post by Hinez » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:29 am

I'm getting ready to submit my paperwork to separate in a year and am wondering about when to set my out date. I was planning on setting my DOS for 31 July 2019, but am worried about how that will affect the GI Bill payout for the first semester since I believe payment is due in mid July at UVA. I'll have about two months of terminal leave and wanted to keep getting paid during the summer to save more money, but if it's going to prevent me from getting GI Bill benefits that first semester I will set my DOS for earlier. Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice/input on this.

ajordan

Post by ajordan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:17 pm

Just wanna bump again and let people know that I'm very willing to give fellow vets a free LSAT session. Shoot me a pm.

luckydevilcat

Post by luckydevilcat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:42 pm

Hinez wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:29 am
I'm getting ready to submit my paperwork to separate in a year and am wondering about when to set my out date. I was planning on setting my DOS for 31 July 2019, but am worried about how that will affect the GI Bill payout for the first semester since I believe payment is due in mid July at UVA. I'll have about two months of terminal leave and wanted to keep getting paid during the summer to save more money, but if it's going to prevent me from getting GI Bill benefits that first semester I will set my DOS for earlier. Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice/input on this.
I can only speak for my situation at Georgetown, but I think you'll be fine to stay in through the summer. Georgetown told me that if I'm waiting on GI Bill money, I just fill out a form (Deferred Tuition Deadline or something like that) telling them that I'm a vet expecting GI Bill money, and that will keep the school from thinking I'm late on tuition. GI Bill usually doesn't disperse until some time in August, anyway, if I'm not mistaken. Schools know this and don't hold it against you that you can't make the normal tuition deadline. Ask UVAs financial aid or veterans assistance office to be sure.

dcc617

Post by dcc617 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:45 pm

Hinez wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:29 am
You can get GI bill on active duty. You just won't get the housing allowance until you're actually separated.

ajordan

Post by ajordan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:19 am

Does anybody have any experience with any Veterans student groups? I've had one email back and forth with a 3L from a T14 who found me unsolicited and he seemed really honest and supportive. I wouldn't mind maybe talking to some from other schools. PM is fine if you don't want to out yourself.

nubcs

Post by nubcs » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:04 pm

ajordan wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:19 am
Does anybody have any experience with any Veterans student groups? I've had one email back and forth with a 3L from a T14 who found me unsolicited and he seemed really honest and supportive. I wouldn't mind maybe talking to some from other schools. PM is fine if you don't want to out yourself.
I have some. PM me whatever questions you might have.

DreamBrother

Post by DreamBrother » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:58 pm

So, I wouldn’t consider myself a veteran per se. I spent three years in the National Guard, no active duty. Because of that, I do not qualify for most of the benefits most veterans receive. In any case, for law school application purposes, am I considered a veteran? I obviously hate using that term for myself. But, I did serve and I’m not sure how that would factor into my law school applications.

MT Cicero

Post by MT Cicero » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:49 am

DreamBrother wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:58 pm
So, I wouldn’t consider myself a veteran per se. I spent three years in the National Guard, no active duty. Because of that, I do not qualify for most of the benefits most veterans receive. In any case, for law school application purposes, am I considered a veteran? I obviously hate using that term for myself. But, I did serve and I’m not sure how that would factor into my law school applications.
Absolutely a vet. You don't have to be a VFW type or active duty to be a veteran. Don't worry about using the term, but I always counsel subtlety in applications anyway from a military standpoint--even someone with 6 combat deployments. So you've got the right idea not to play it up big style, but you're a veteran.

MT Cicero

Post by MT Cicero » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:58 am

MT Cicero wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:50 pm
I am in the process of updating the spreadsheet for 2018-19 GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon at approximately the top 100 USNews schools (had to stop somewhere). I already have the updated tuition amounts for most of the schools, and am just waiting on the VA site to update with this year's school amounts. I saw that NYU and Columbia (on their sites) have increased from $20K to $30K (C) and Unlimited (N), so now are both firmly back in the "free" camp. I'll wait for the site to update for the rest, since it should happen any day now.

Will post when complete!
VA site updated with YRP 2018-19 numbers. I'll update the spreadsheet soon!

ajordan

Post by ajordan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:42 pm

Yeah, don't let that inter-branch, active/reserve BS affect the way you feel about your service. You signed up. You went to training. You served. You're a veteran.

MT Cicero

Post by MT Cicero » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:39 am

Ok, I've updated the annual spreadsheet showing the cost of of roughly the top 100 law schools for vets with full GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon. Since all public schools are now free through just the GI Bill (at 100%), only private schools show all the data. Here it is:

UPDATED SPREADSHEET FOR GI BILL/YELLOW RIBBON

If you see anything wrong, or can point me to a school's specific information that contradicts the spreadsheet, please let me know and I'll update!

dcc617

Post by dcc617 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:20 am

This is such a big service you do, MT. Thank you!

ajordan

Post by ajordan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:52 am

Not all heroes wear capes

MT Cicero

Post by MT Cicero » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Thanks guys. Happy to do it. Not a ton of changes this year, but here are a few tidbits:

The VA website has some link issues, so be sure you're in the correct year if you're trolling around on there.

Columbia and NYU fixed their match amounts to provide 100% coverage (and congrats to Columbia on being the first law school in the US to crack $70K in tuition and mandatory fees!).

Penn's tuition has now slightly outpaced its YRP match. If someone on the inside has info that they still provide full coverage for this upcoming year, please let me know.

Vandy, Emory, and the Boston schools (BU/BC) are still the stingiest historical T20/25 types. You'd figure the dirty South and the genesis of patriotism in the US would be all about some YRP, but you'd be wrong. I know we have a vet student or two at those schools who will happen upon this thread at some point. Work it from the inside, please. Let them know that all their peers (except those 4) have gone full match (or thereabouts), and that they only pay half the difference in what they currently pay to up the amount. While $15K/year might be a deal in a vacuum for law school, vets are choosing between that and $0--not that and full freight.

ajordan

Post by ajordan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:05 am

I know folks may want some anonymity in their solicitation of fee waivers. With that said, anybody who has/hasn't had success acquiring a fee waiver for a school and wants to share it can send me a pm and I'll keep the OP updated with the current success rates throughout the cycle.

mstng9878

Post by mstng9878 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:04 am

Hi all, question concerning the Yellow Ribbon Program. I have the Montgomery GI Bill (13 months eligibility remaining as I used most of my benefits before actually going to play in all the 9/11 sandbox fun). My interwebs research tells me that I am not eligible for any YR benefits (as those are specifically tied to the Post 9/11 version). Can anyone confirm or deny this?

If it matters, I'm retired so there is no opportunity for any program transfer. Thanks.

dannyinsd

Post by dannyinsd » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:45 pm

mstng9878 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:04 am
Hi all, question concerning the Yellow Ribbon Program. I have the Montgomery GI Bill (13 months eligibility remaining as I used most of my benefits before actually going to play in all the 9/11 sandbox fun). My interwebs research tells me that I am not eligible for any YR benefits (as those are specifically tied to the Post 9/11 version). Can anyone confirm or deny this?

If it matters, I'm retired so there is no opportunity for any program transfer. Thanks.
I think you're out of luck.

dannyinsd

Post by dannyinsd » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:46 pm

mstng9878 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:04 am

Hey, check out VOC REHAB which is basically the same thing as the GI Bill.

usmcbenjammin

Post by usmcbenjammin » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:15 pm

Greetings all! I have been lurking for quite a while and I am now preparing my application for Fall 2019 enrollment. Would anyone be willing to review my personal statement? I know that there is a PS board specifically for this, but I have come to trust the frequent posters to this thread.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:31 pm

usmcbenjammin wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:15 pm
Greetings all! I have been lurking for quite a while and I am now preparing my application for Fall 2019 enrollment. Would anyone be willing to review my personal statement? I know that there is a PS board specifically for this, but I have come to trust the frequent posters to this thread.
Sure, send it my way!

MT Cicero

Post by MT Cicero » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:39 pm

usmcbenjammin wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:15 pm
Happy to take a look as well!

ajordan

Post by ajordan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:32 am

Me too

CMac86

Post by CMac86 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:52 pm

I'm excited and thought this would be the best place to share.

After a few years of lurking on here and TLS, I'm finally coming to the application window. The schools that I plan on applying to open applications between September 1st and 15th. I go on the road around the 16th (I'm an MU, so this stuff gets broadcast).

My undergraduate degree was conferred today, I submitted the transcript to LSAC as soon as grades posted for my last semester.

Letters of recommendation have been processed, LSAT complete, CAS purchased, all transcripts have been received by LSAC (plan on submitting one tomorrow that shows degree completion), and all essays completed. I feel like the most bizarro-world Christmas is coming up. I'm extremely excited yet a little nervous. I have a Service2School mentor that helped me fine tune my personal statement.

I'm submitting apps to two target schools, one reach (pretty much a hail mary) school, and one safety in the specific city that I want to practice. They are all schools that I would like to attend. I have completed official visits at two of the schools and an unofficial (my ex went there) visit to the reach school. I could not get a visit arranged at the last school the same weekend that I was in town to visit the others.

The results of the application process determine whether I'll be seguing into law school just after my contract is complete or if I will be taking a gap year to study and retake the LSAT. I'm preparing financially for a gap year, but I'm hoping for the segue to law school.