LSL Veterans Thread

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
User avatar
UVA2B
Moderator
Posts: 3023
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by UVA2B » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:01 am

Reserve duty is 1 weekend per month, 2 weeks per year, but there is always a looming threat of activation, meaning you get deployed by the Army for 9-12 months to meet the needs of the Army. It still happens regularly, and it could mean you get deployed spring of 1L year, or during your summer SA, or just before the holidays 3L year, or even when you're supposed to be studying for the bar. You have zero control over that in the reserves.

I won't speak to transferring to JAG in the Army reserves, but you can ask that sort of question in the Military Law thread. My intuition is that it's possible, but you can't bank on it just because you're already in the reserves.

User avatar
LSNlife
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:35 am

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by LSNlife » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:21 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:01 am
Reserve duty is 1 weekend per month, 2 weeks per year, but there is always a looming threat of activation, meaning you get deployed by the Army for 9-12 months to meet the needs of the Army. It still happens regularly, and it could mean you get deployed spring of 1L year, or during your summer SA, or just before the holidays 3L year, or even when you're supposed to be studying for the bar. You have zero control over that in the reserves.

I won't speak to transferring to JAG in the Army reserves, but you can ask that sort of question in the Military Law thread. My intuition is that it's possible, but you can't bank on it just because you're already in the reserves.
UVA2B as usual, is spot on. just to add an anecdote, I'm AF reserves and this fiscal year alone we've already done about 8 mandatory extra drill days AF wide that cut into my work schedule. I'm a 0L but I'm not looking forward to the idea of that cutting into my class and study time and it's definitely something to consider if you're going to join, at the end of the day the military decides your schedule, not you.

User avatar
dcc617
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by dcc617 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:19 pm

tigerorangeblack wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:46 pm
dcc617 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:47 pm
tigerorangeblack wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:12 pm
quick question: anyone know what it's like to serve in the Army reserves while in law school?

I'm interested in serving in the reserves, and am thinking of doing OCS, BOLC (takes 9 months) for a gap year before starting law school. long term interests in public service/office/politics.
Don’t do it.
any concrete reasons why not to do it?
So to give you some background, I was in the National Guard during college and served about four years as an active duty officer between college and law school. I am now attending law school on the GI Bill and YRP.

My general recommendation is that if you want to do the army, go do the army. Law school will still be there on the other side. Plus, if you go active for three years then you get 100% of law school covered, which is an amazing deal.

My friends who tried to stay in the reserves at law school generally fucking hated it. Most got out as soon as they could.

As an officer it is a bigger time drain than 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year. At least if you don't want to be shitty. Plus so much of it depends on your particular unit at that particular time. Maybe you have a chain of command that is willing to work with you, maybe you don't. Plus playing army every month is a pretty big disruption in your life. It can fuck with your ability to do work, meet deadlines, socialize, etc.

Plus, the benefits are pretty minimal. You don't get that much money/aid. And it can mess with summer employment or other opportunities to actually get a real job.

I think the biggest downside, though, has already been discussed. Once you sign that paper, they own you. If they need to mobilize you, you go. If they want you to deploy, you go. If some asshole O5 has some brilliant idea and needs a young officer to do it, you go. It is not a normal job or profession because you have so little control over it. They dictate the terms. One of my friends (who joined the reserves after college) got pushed back two years for dental school because of a very poorly timed deployment.

You can try to plan your life around your military obligations as long as you know that the military will come first. If you really want to do it, then just go do it for a few years and then go to law school for free.

User avatar
DmD
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:43 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by DmD » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:47 pm

I spoke to an Emory representative that informed me that they only have two yellow ribbon slots that provide about $7,000 per academic year toward tuition. That is across all years, 1L, 2L, and 3L. Just two.

It's on a first come, first serve basis as well and the application opens in July. That makes it incredibly hard to put two seat deposits down before you even know if you'll recieve that aid. Luckily my tuition would be covered by merit scholarship money + GI Bill, but that might just be the most austere YR program I've seen so far.

It's looking like Fordham will be my final destination, but I'm still waiting on NYU and Vanderbilt.

CelestialLaw07
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by CelestialLaw07 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:34 am

DmD wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:47 pm
I spoke to an Emory representative that informed me that they only have two yellow ribbon slots that provide about $7,000 per academic year toward tuition. That is across all years, 1L, 2L, and 3L. Just two.

It's on a first come, first serve basis as well and the application opens in July. That makes it incredibly hard to put two seat deposits down before you even know if you'll recieve that aid. Luckily my tuition would be covered by merit scholarship money + GI Bill, but that might just be the most austere YR program I've seen so far.

It's looking like Fordham will be my final destination, but I'm still waiting on NYU and Vanderbilt.
Nice on Fordham - I am on their WL and would love to be accepted - and it's free :D

manyesh
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by manyesh » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:18 am

Quick GI Bill question - for schools with unlimited yellow ribbon funding/slots, does that cover the seat deposit?

User avatar
UVA2B
Moderator
Posts: 3023
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by UVA2B » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:24 am

manyesh wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:18 am
Quick GI Bill question - for schools with unlimited yellow ribbon funding/slots, does that cover the seat deposit?
Each school may handle it differently, but yes, seat deposits will be covered by GI Bill /YRP, since a seat deposit is just a down payment on 1L tuition. You may have to pay and get reimbursed though once the VA pays out to the school.

manyesh
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by manyesh » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:36 am

More GI bill questions -

Once you request and recieve a certificate of eligibiltiy from the VA, can you change what school you're attending? I'm on a couple of waitlists right now, but also don't want to wait until the last minute to do my VA paperwork, considering how backed up they get

User avatar
UVA2B
Moderator
Posts: 3023
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:40 am

You will be able to file paperwork wherever you end up attending. Keep in mind that the school you ultimately attend will have to file paperwork with the VA to get the money disbursed. So you’ll get your school your COE, then they’ll have you fill out some short paperwork so they can apply to the VA, then the VA will pay what they have to pay based on tuition and your percent eligibility.

You won’t fill that paperwork out until you know what school you’re attending with certainty. And if you change schools due to getting off a waitlist, etc., then you’ll have to tell your old school you’re no longer attending, and if paperwork is filled out already, you’ll need them to reach out to the VA to cancel their request.

ajordan
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by ajordan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:34 am

Any updates on current cycle scholarship reclassification?

NavyNuke
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:57 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by NavyNuke » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:52 pm

ajordan wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:34 am
Any updates on current cycle scholarship reclassification?
Michigan and Berkeley's offer were both unfenced, meaning they weren't tuition specific and the money was mine to use for living expenses. I also had a large Cornell offer. The way theirs was going to work was that the scholarship money would first be used to cover the school's portion of the yellow ribbon program and then any left over money would be mine to use for living expenses. These were my best offers.

Overall my experience this cycle was that all state schools were pretty much the same. Their scholarship money wasn't tuition specific, but the amount refunded to me would be reduced to the school's estimated cost of living. (I was in at Berk, Mich, UGA, W+M. I wasn't in at UVA, but I spoke to someone last year who got UVA with the same type offer.) Private schools were a different ball game. Some had the same rule as Cornell, and others told me that if I used the GI Bill/YRP then the scholarship offer I had was basically meaningless as I would never see any of that money.

Another big take away I had was that some schools' financial aid people didn't have a clue about how their scholarship money and the GI Bill would play together. When that happened I used the school's veterans benefits coordinator as a go between. Those people know the rules and can help you find out how the law school's scholarships are classified.

I didn't pursue any reclassifications. I really liked Michigan and Berkeley, so I didn't bother trying to get any of the private schools to change the way their scholarships were classified. Tbh though, from talking to the different schools, I doubt any of them would have changed the way they do business... but who knows. I am waiting on financial aid info from NYU, and if they offer any money I will definitely see if they will play ball. I'll post here if they do.
Last edited by NavyNuke on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajordan
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by ajordan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:16 pm

That's great information, NN! Thanks a ton.

NavyNuke
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:57 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by NavyNuke » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:56 pm

Just got an email from NYU that they are changing their YRP from 20K to unlimited starting next year.

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 773
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by MT Cicero » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:24 pm

NavyNuke wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:56 pm
Just got an email from NYU that they are changing their YRP from 20K to unlimited starting next year.
Awesome. I was wondering when those schools that used to cover full freight with their amount (but no longer covers) would realize that they need to just go ahead and move it to unlimited.

manyesh
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by manyesh » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:00 pm

NavyNuke wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:56 pm
Just got an email from NYU that they are changing their YRP from 20K to unlimited starting next year.
So after this, who's left in the T14 without unlimited YRP funding?

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 773
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by MT Cicero » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:10 pm

manyesh wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:00 pm
NavyNuke wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:56 pm
Just got an email from NYU that they are changing their YRP from 20K to unlimited starting next year.
So after this, who's left in the T14 without unlimited YRP funding?
Only Columbia, who is also in the $20K camp (which used to be full coverage a few years ago). Rest are free!

User avatar
luckydevilcat
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by luckydevilcat » Fri May 04, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi, everyone. First, thanks to MT Cicero for getting me the info to jump over here from TLS.

I finished ~11 years active duty Air Force last fall and jumped to the reserves. Accepted at Georgetown and waiting to hear from G-Dub. If anyone is in DC, just holler.

Wish I had all of my GI Bill to pay for school but I spent most of it on a masters degree and a bunch of civilian flight ratings back when I thought law school was an aspiration that passed me by.

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 773
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by MT Cicero » Sat May 05, 2018 2:05 pm

luckydevilcat wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:57 pm
Hi, everyone. First, thanks to MT Cicero for getting me the info to jump over here from TLS.

I finished ~11 years active duty Air Force last fall and jumped to the reserves. Accepted at Georgetown and waiting to hear from G-Dub. If anyone is in DC, just holler.

Wish I had all of my GI Bill to pay for school but I spent most of it on a masters degree and a bunch of civilian flight ratings back when I thought law school was an aspiration that passed me by.
Welcome to LSL!

User avatar
dannyinsd
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:29 am

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by dannyinsd » Tue May 08, 2018 11:38 pm

My school let me use my excess Yellow Ribbon for summer school.

manyesh
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by manyesh » Tue May 22, 2018 11:04 am

Hi all - this cycle went fairly well for me, but I finished up on the waitlist at my top two choices. If I reach out to those schools' veterans affinity groups, would they be able to put in a good word for me with the admissions office (and would that have any sway in whether I get off the waitlist)?

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 773
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by MT Cicero » Tue May 22, 2018 11:21 am

manyesh wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:04 am
Hi all - this cycle went fairly well for me, but I finished up on the waitlist at my top two choices. If I reach out to those schools' veterans affinity groups, would they be able to put in a good word for me with the admissions office (and would that have any sway in whether I get off the waitlist)?
I'd say it's unlikely, but not impossible I guess. Until you're at law school, you don't realize how disconnected admissions is from the students and student groups. I think my school had as much student involvement in admissions as any, as students interviewed for admissions. And I was president of the veterans affinity group. Even then, I don't know that I'd have really been able to reach out on behalf of a particular student in a way that would make a difference. I did flag things as a student interviewer that I thought should be added to an applicant's file.

I think your best bet might be to make contact with the vets group and see if someone will chat with you about the school/student life/etc. Then, in a LOCI, discuss this conversation reinforcing your desire to attend school X, etc. I don't know that there's a magic formula here, and if there is Mike Spivey might have it. But I think there's a fine line to walk between sounding superficial/thirsty vs. measured/invested/motivated to attend.

Viggen90
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 6:09 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by Viggen90 » Mon May 28, 2018 6:28 pm

Hello to all, first of all happy Memorial Day. Thanks for your service to our country and to our brothers and sisters who made the ultimate sacrifice.

AD Army Aviation (AH pilot) separating from service in May of 2020. At that time I'll have eight years of service and thus 100% GI Bill. Planning on applying in the fall of 2019 for the c/o 2023. Just beginning the law school process after a few years of the law school vs. business school debate. I had a few quick questions as I start the process and truly would appreciate any assistance along the way.

1) LSAT: I haven't begun studying yet and am looking for some tips to do so. I took a cold diagnostic last week (read enough to understand the format of the test, that's it) and scored a disappointing 150. The greatest complication is that I'm deploying in a few weeks for a nine month CENTCOM deployment. I'm not counting on having regular internet access during that time. My initial plan is to attempt to study 1-2 hours 3-4 times per week on deployment mainly focusing on the PowerScore Bibles and drilling problems from the older tests and working up to full practice sections. I don't think I'll be able to take full length tests while overseas so my plan is to wait until I get back next March and leave command to focus on taking full-length tests prior to the July, September, and possibly November dates. Again, any help on time management and resources would be greatly appreciated. I'm shooting for the 165-170 range.

2) GPA: How does the LSAC calculate GPA for service academies? I have a 3.58 from the South Hudson Institute of Technology but that includes physical and military grades; once I remove those I go up to about a 3.68 (gymnastics was not my thing). Looking into how that factors into admissions.

Also definitely tracking S2S as an excellent resource and waiting to hear back from them after the initial email and submitting my resume and information a few months ago. Hoping to hear back from them soon.

Thanks in advance for the help!

CelestialLaw07
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by CelestialLaw07 » Mon May 28, 2018 9:05 pm

Viggen90 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:28 pm
Hello to all, first of all happy Memorial Day. Thanks for your service to our country and to our brothers and sisters who made the ultimate sacrifice.

AD Army Aviation (AH pilot) separating from service in May of 2020. At that time I'll have eight years of service and thus 100% GI Bill. Planning on applying in the fall of 2019 for the c/o 2023. Just beginning the law school process after a few years of the law school vs. business school debate. I had a few quick questions as I start the process and truly would appreciate any assistance along the way.

1) LSAT: I haven't begun studying yet and am looking for some tips to do so. I took a cold diagnostic last week (read enough to understand the format of the test, that's it) and scored a disappointing 150. The greatest complication is that I'm deploying in a few weeks for a nine month CENTCOM deployment. I'm not counting on having regular internet access during that time. My initial plan is to attempt to study 1-2 hours 3-4 times per week on deployment mainly focusing on the PowerScore Bibles and drilling problems from the older tests and working up to full practice sections. I don't think I'll be able to take full length tests while overseas so my plan is to wait until I get back next March and leave command to focus on taking full-length tests prior to the July, September, and possibly November dates. Again, any help on time management and resources would be greatly appreciated. I'm shooting for the 165-170 range.

2) GPA: How does the LSAC calculate GPA for service academies? I have a 3.58 from the South Hudson Institute of Technology but that includes physical and military grades; once I remove those I go up to about a 3.68 (gymnastics was not my thing). Looking into how that factors into admissions.

Also definitely tracking S2S as an excellent resource and waiting to hear back from them after the initial email and submitting my resume and information a few months ago. Hoping to hear back from them soon.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Get the LSAT Trainer as well - start drilling LGs 1-35 - recommend doing one LG daily once comfortable with how the LGs function.... Start reviewing RC - RC is difficult due to the dense material presented....

manyesh
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by manyesh » Tue May 29, 2018 2:06 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:21 am
manyesh wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:04 am
Hi all - this cycle went fairly well for me, but I finished up on the waitlist at my top two choices. If I reach out to those schools' veterans affinity groups, would they be able to put in a good word for me with the admissions office (and would that have any sway in whether I get off the waitlist)?
I'd say it's unlikely, but not impossible I guess. Until you're at law school, you don't realize how disconnected admissions is from the students and student groups. I think my school had as much student involvement in admissions as any, as students interviewed for admissions. And I was president of the veterans affinity group. Even then, I don't know that I'd have really been able to reach out on behalf of a particular student in a way that would make a difference. I did flag things as a student interviewer that I thought should be added to an applicant's file.

I think your best bet might be to make contact with the vets group and see if someone will chat with you about the school/student life/etc. Then, in a LOCI, discuss this conversation reinforcing your desire to attend school X, etc. I don't know that there's a magic formula here, and if there is Mike Spivey might have it. But I think there's a fine line to walk between sounding superficial/thirsty vs. measured/invested/motivated to attend.
Thanks - I really appreciate all of your advice this cycle.

Hinez
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by Hinez » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:03 pm

NavyNuke wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:52 pm
ajordan wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:34 am
Any updates on current cycle scholarship reclassification?
Michigan and Berkeley's offer were both unfenced, meaning they weren't tuition specific and the money was mine to use for living expenses. I also had a large Cornell offer. The way theirs was going to work was that the scholarship money would first be used to cover the school's portion of the yellow ribbon program and then any left over money would be mine to use for living expenses. These were my best offers.

Overall my experience this cycle was that all state schools were pretty much the same. Their scholarship money wasn't tuition specific, but the amount refunded to me would be reduced to the school's estimated cost of living. (I was in at Berk, Mich, UGA, W+M. I wasn't in at UVA, but I spoke to someone last year who got UVA with the same type offer.) Private schools were a different ball game. Some had the same rule as Cornell, and others told me that if I used the GI Bill/YRP then the scholarship offer I had was basically meaningless as I would never see any of that money.

Another big take away I had was that some schools' financial aid people didn't have a clue about how their scholarship money and the GI Bill would play together. When that happened I used the school's veterans benefits coordinator as a go between. Those people know the rules and can help you find out how the law school's scholarships are classified.

I didn't pursue any reclassifications. I really liked Michigan and Berkeley, so I didn't bother trying to get any of the private schools to change the way their scholarships were classified. Tbh though, from talking to the different schools, I doubt any of them would have changed the way they do business... but who knows. I am waiting on financial aid info from NYU, and if they offer any money I will definitely see if they will play ball. I'll post here if they do.
I can speak to UVA regarding this. They recently extended me a scholarship offer and I will only have a percentage of Post 9-11 GI Bill eligibility when I attend in a year. UVA classifies their scholarships as cost of attendance so veterans get the maximum payout they are eligible for from the GI Bill.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests