The LSL Forums are undergoing server maintenance throughout the day Sunday, July 21, 2019. The site may be slow or unresponsive during this time. Thanks for your patience.

LSL Veterans Thread

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
ajordan

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by ajordan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:48 am

CMac, that's really inspiring. I feel like I've been following your story for a few years since I started my path as well. It's super awesome that you had all this stuff on lock in time for applications. Sounds like you have a really good plan too. I wish you great success.

CMac86

Post by CMac86 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:55 am

ajordan wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:48 am
CMac, that's really inspiring. I feel like I've been following your story for a few years since I started my path as well. It's super awesome that you had all this stuff on lock in time for applications. Sounds like you have a really good plan too. I wish you great success.
Thanks. It makes getting out seem more real.

PI_2022

Post by PI_2022 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:44 pm

FYI, the OP of this thread lists Cornell as one of the schools for "No waiver"; however, they do offer a military service-based waiver.
https://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admis ... ration.cfm
Under "Do you grant fee waivers?" one of the categories is

"Military
If you are a current or past member of the United States military, email a copy of your documentation and LSAC number to jdadmissions@cornell.edu (this does not include participation in a foreign military service)."

Also, schools with waivers for all this cycle include USC (CA) for all who apply before Feb 1, and for Northwestern for all who register on their law admissions site and apply before Dec 1.

ajordan

Post by ajordan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:08 am

I'll send them an email. I wonder what their "copy of your documentation" entails. I'm not sure I fancy sending a copy of my orders or my ERB to a law school admissions office.

PI_2022

Post by PI_2022 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:20 am

It’s not the only school asking for a 214 or other documentation via email. Texas, NYU, UChicago...

ajordan

Post by ajordan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:08 am

NYU responded to a fee waiver request with a request for “Letter of Appointment, Statement of Service, DD-214 or ORB”. Aside from being mildly offended at the elitist assumption that all service members applying are officers I guess this looks like the standard. Prepare accordingly.

ajordan

Post by ajordan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:16 am

More updates for fee waivers. I initially sent the request from my .mil so take that under advisement.

WashU: provided a waiver code in 1 business day
UMich: provided a waiver code in 1 business day
Texas: wanted a copy of my CAC (which I’m pretty sure is against regs to send) but I got a merit waiver in the interim
Columbia: referred me to their standard fee waiver form

CMac86

Post by CMac86 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:00 pm

First round of apps have been submitted.

Stats
LSAC GPA: 2.68, Degree GPA 3.53 (6-year academic leave of absence), 156 LSAT (completed while full-time student and on active duty), currently on active duty with separation occurring August 1st, 2019.

I submitted a character & fitness addendum and a GPA addendum. I sent 4 LOR's (2 academic, 1 from a Chief that I've worked with for a while, and 1 from a former boss from the civilian world).

The adcomms that I talked to said they would look at my more recent GPA, but the LSAC GPA is what counts the most. I'm hoping the upward academic trajectory, time since my poor grades occurred, being older (I'm 32 now), and being active duty/veteran will help. Will be separating with 7 years, 11 months of service and then will receive a disability rating of anywhere from 30-90% (depending on how they rate a few key issues and if any more issues come up). Financially, the goal is to take out little to no loans for cost of living-that will ultimately depend on my disability rating. I'm targeting Chicago-land since I enlisted out of there and it is the only place that has felt like home. I also know how to live frugally there to make the GI Bill Housing allowance stretch.

Career Goals: Be a practicing lawyer, current interests include estates, wills, contracts, entertainment, veterans law, and soft intellectual property. I've read the book on Legal Specialities and the Anne Levine books. I know just enough to know that whatever I think I like will probably change once I'm in school.

For these three schools, I'm strongly considering the dual degree (JD/MBA) option. If I receive acceptance to one of these three schools, I plan on starting to study for the GMAT so that I will have the option on applying into the joint degree program during 1L.
John Marshall Chicago (I'm intrigued by the merger with UIC)
DePaul (I liked the campus visit).
Northern Illinois (main thing that I dislike is that it is in DeKalb vs. Chicago)

Once applications open (15th)
Chicago-Kent (visited)
Loyola-Chicago (informal visit/I used to live down the street)

Hail Mary App
Northwestern (informal visit, I have an ex that went there, and she showed me around the school a few times). I know there is a snowball's chance in hell that I will get in there unless if they are specifically looking for a veteran that used to be a fuckup that got his life together via enlisting.

My uh oh plan
If I do not get accepted to a school that I am comfortable attending, my plan is to find a job (hopefully as a paralegal) upon separation, and study like hell for an LSAT retake. The LSAT studying would take place as soon as I figure out that I will not be attending a school that I am comfortable with fall 2019.

splitasticvet

Post by splitasticvet » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:51 am

CMac86 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:00 pm

Stats
LSAC GPA: 2.68, Degree GPA 3.53 (6-year academic leave of absence), 156 LSAT (completed while full-time student and on active duty), currently on active duty with separation occurring August 1st, 2019.

I submitted a character & fitness addendum and a GPA addendum. I sent 4 LOR's (2 academic, 1 from a Chief that I've worked with for a while, and 1 from a former boss from the civilian world).

The adcomms that I talked to said they would look at my more recent GPA, but the LSAC GPA is what counts the most. I'm hoping the upward academic trajectory, time since my poor grades occurred, being older (I'm 32 now), and being active duty/veteran will help. Will be separating with 7 years, 11 months of service and then will receive a disability rating of anywhere from 30-90% (depending on how they rate a few key issues and if any more issues come up). Financially, the goal is to take out little to no loans for cost of living-that will ultimately depend on my disability rating. I'm targeting Chicago-land since I enlisted out of there and it is the only place that has felt like home. I also know how to live frugally there to make the GI Bill Housing allowance stretch.

Career Goals: Be a practicing lawyer, current interests include estates, wills, contracts, entertainment, veterans law, and soft intellectual property. I've read the book on Legal Specialities and the Anne Levine books. I know just enough to know that whatever I think I like will probably change once I'm in school.

For these three schools, I'm strongly considering the dual degree (JD/MBA) option. If I receive acceptance to one of these three schools, I plan on starting to study for the GMAT so that I will have the option on applying into the joint degree program during 1L.
Northern Illinois (main thing that I dislike is that it is in DeKalb vs. Chicago)

Chicago-Kent (visited)

Hail Mary App
Northwestern (informal visit, I have an ex that went there, and she showed me around the school a few times). I know there is a snowball's chance in hell that I will get in there unless if they are specifically looking for a veteran that used to be a fuckup that got his life together via enlisting.

My uh oh plan
If I do not get accepted to a school that I am comfortable attending, my plan is to find a job (hopefully as a paralegal) upon separation, and study like hell for an LSAT retake. The LSAT studying would take place as soon as I figure out that I will not be attending a school that I am comfortable with fall 2019.
I wish you nothing but the best. I will be following your exact plan come this time next year. I am studying to take the January LSAT in London, with the option to take it in the summer if I don't get the score I'd like. My target is 165 and I'm hammering out Logic Games from two different books right now as I could not finish the section on my diagnostic. Having an LSAC Fee Waiver (applied for it after being deployed for 9 months, so my income appeared super low) is super amazing with this since I'm trying to stash away as much as possible to prepare for a Fall 2020 separation from the USAF. I'm so excited to "meet" other veterans with the same aspirations for a support system. It makes this journey less lonely.

CMac86

Post by CMac86 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:33 am

splitasticvet wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:51 am
I wish you nothing but the best. I will be following your exact plan come this time next year. I am studying to take the January LSAT in London, with the option to take it in the summer if I don't get the score I'd like. My target is 165 and I'm hammering out Logic Games from two different books right now as I could not finish the section on my diagnostic. Having an LSAC Fee Waiver (applied for it after being deployed for 9 months, so my income appeared super low) is super amazing with this since I'm trying to stash away as much as possible to prepare for a Fall 2020 separation from the USAF. I'm so excited to "meet" other veterans with the same aspirations for a support system. It makes this journey less lonely.
I underperformed a bit on test day. However, the reason why I decided to roll the dice is that for my target/realistic schools, the various predictor apps (LSN, LST, LSAC's school thing), said that I have a good shot at around 3/4 of the schools. Life/work both got a bit insane after my February attempt, so that is the other reason why I have not completed a retake yet.

The previous version of this thread was a great resource to me.

I'm excited for answers one way or another. Whether that means I'll be preparing for entrance to law school or preparing for a gap year, I'm excited to know. This process has made the getting out stuff more real.

dannyinsd

Post by dannyinsd » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:09 pm

splitasticvet wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:51 am
CMac86 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:00 pm

Stats

Chicago-Kent (visited)

Hail Mary App

My uh oh plan
I took the January LSAT in London a couple of years ago.

splitasticvet

Post by splitasticvet » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:23 am

dannyinsd wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:09 pm

How was that for you? I'm taking it at Ironmonger's.

ajordan

Post by ajordan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:13 am

If you need some LSAT help send me a pm. I'd be happy to do a free session with you. Euro-based is no issue, I am as well.

dannyinsd

Post by dannyinsd » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:41 pm

splitasticvet wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:23 am
dannyinsd wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:09 pm

How was that for you? I'm taking it at Ironmonger's.
I did the same. Basically what you would expect, I think. Bit of a walk from the tube if I remember correctly. Hell of a cool old building.

kbay11

Post by kbay11 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:28 pm

Have any of you had experience with applying for and using voc rehab? I'm currently in the process of exhausting my Post 9/11 GI Bill and would like to know if and how I can put my disability rating to good use.

I'm a combat veteran, 70% disabled. 4 years active. 3.72 GPA (and climbing) at a regional school. Decent softs (good internships). Just began studying for the LSAT with all three PS Bibles and have every available preptest. I'm aware of the perils of studying for the LSAT while in undergrad but I have a good handle on time and stress management. Thanks.

Kpera24

Post by Kpera24 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:20 am

Hey everyone new member here.

I'm also a combat veteran, 80% disability, 4 years active. I sadly only have about a semester left of my Post 9/11 Gi Bill (had no idea it worked for grad school). Anyone know about Voc Rehab and exactly how it works?

dannyinsd

Post by dannyinsd » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:43 pm

Kpera24 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:20 am
Hey everyone new member here.

I'm also a combat veteran, 80% disability, 4 years active. I sadly only have about a semester left of my Post 9/11 Gi Bill (had no idea it worked for grad school). Anyone know about Voc Rehab and exactly how it works?
Basically, it's like the post-9/11 but you a) can't work a job that you're trained for; b) you have to pitch your plan to a VOC rehab counselor. They agree, you get to do your thing.

dannyinsd

Post by dannyinsd » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:45 pm

kbay11 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:28 pm
Have any of you had experience with applying for and using voc rehab? I'm currently in the process of exhausting my Post 9/11 GI Bill and would like to know if and how I can put my disability rating to good use.

I'm a combat veteran, 70% disabled. 4 years active. 3.72 GPA (and climbing) at a regional school. Decent softs (good internships). Just began studying for the LSAT with all three PS Bibles and have every available preptest. I'm aware of the perils of studying for the LSAT while in undergrad but I have a good handle on time and stress management. Thanks.
Get approved for VOC Rehab. You have to pitch a plan that you want to be a lawyer, can't do a job related to your military service. You have a counselor/adviser that has to approve your plan. Ie, they have to think that you should be a lawyer.

kbay11

Post by kbay11 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:23 pm

dannyinsd wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:45 pm
kbay11 wrote:

Get approved for VOC Rehab. You have to pitch a plan that you want to be a lawyer, can't do a job related to your military service. You have a counselor/adviser that has to approve your plan. Ie, they have to think that you should be a lawyer.
Is the process as long and tedious as applying for disability? What's the likelihood of your plan being approved? Do they either fully accept your plan (pay all law school expenses) or don't, or is there a percentage of benefits they could or could not grant you (i.e., 50% of law school expenses)? Is it strictly tuition or will they cover living expenses as well? At what point should you start talking to a counselor and beginning the process - before applying, after applying, or once you've been admitted?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions - the information I found online was very limited in scope.

dannyinsd

Post by dannyinsd » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:47 pm

kbay11 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:23 pm
dannyinsd wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:45 pm
kbay11 wrote:

Is the process as long and tedious as applying for disability? What's the likelihood of your plan being approved? Do they either fully accept your plan (pay all law school expenses) or don't, or is there a percentage of benefits they could or could not grant you (i.e., 50% of law school expenses)? Is it strictly tuition or will they cover living expenses as well? At what point should you start talking to a counselor and beginning the process - before applying, after applying, or once you've been admitted?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions - the information I found online was very limited in scope.
I can pull up the details out of the benefits handbook, but I think it is more straight forward. I can't tell you about chances of getting approved but I have heard of a guy who was accepted to law school and they said he wasn't going to cut it as a lawyer, so it was disapproved.

You get tuition within the same limits of the post 9/11 GI BILL, as well as the E-5 BAH.

I'd apply for the benefit, and that should set you up with the appointments to talk to VOC REHAB.

I'll try to post a better answer tomorrow.

CMac86

Post by CMac86 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:05 pm

I got my first decision this week. I got accepted to one of my safety schools (I only applied to places that I would want to attend). This is a relief since I now know that I will be going at least SOMEWHERE for law school once my contract ends next year. If the status check emails are accurate, I should start getting decisions from the rest of the places I applied mid-October. I applied early action to my top choice school, so I should know acceptance, reject, or waitlist by about January 15th.

dannyinsd

Post by dannyinsd » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:00 pm

Okay, so you can't get VOC REHAB is you got the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

dannyinsd

Post by dannyinsd » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:10 pm

VOC Rehab notes

Can’t use Vocational Rehabilitation if you used Post 9/11 GI Bill.

20% disability which causes employment handicap or; less than 20% disability requires serious employment handicap.

Veteran must show the need for services and assistance, impairment must be one “resulting in substantial part from” veteran’s service connected disability.

12 year period to apply, does not run if medically incapable, or if disqualifying discharge status (runs from when discharge is upgraded).

Before voc rehab is approved services necessary for training must be identified and individualized plan developed that describes the goals of the training and means of achieving those goals.

Goals must be “reasonably feasible”.

mstng9878

Post by mstng9878 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:58 am

TIL: Hi all. As posted earlier in this thread, I've got about 13 months of Montgomery GI Bill eligibility remaining. While discussing the program in detail with the VA, they told me that once all of my Chapter 30 (Montgomery) eligibility was used, I would be eligible of 12 months of Post 9-11 GI Bill (Chapter 33). The only requirement is 1095 days of continuous active duty service. I had no idea this was the case and feel like I just found one year of tuition and housing in the pocket of a pair of jeans. If you are in similar situation wrt Montgomery GI Bill, check it out.

ETA: The eligibility is retroactive, as I retired in 2016. Its not a "new" or future 1095 day requirement.

ajordan

Post by ajordan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09 pm

I'm done with my cycle. Got into UVA ED a few weeks ago and paid the deposits. Still pinching myself really. 2 years ago I was a college dropout in year 10 of my Army enlistment with an injured back and no real chance of more promotion.