LSL c/o 2022 Applicants

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.

How decided are you?

Know where I'm going
30%
Leaning
37%
Agonizing
26%
Sitting out
7%

Total votes: 27

Slippin’ Jimmy

Re: LSL c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:27 pm

I've said this before but if you have a strong desire to attend Duke (and can articulate it in an email) don't be afraid to ask for PT if you only got a fee waiver and no invite. If you truly want to be here the admissions office will work with you especially this early in the cycle.

pioneer1234

Post by pioneer1234 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:39 pm

Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:27 pm
I've said this before but if you have a strong desire to attend Duke (and can articulate it in an email) don't be afraid to ask for PT if you only got a fee waiver and no invite. If you truly want to be here the admissions office will work with you especially this early in the cycle.
I think that Duke is a fantastic school, and if my cycle will end with attending there, I will be absolutely thrilled. That said, if I'm honest they are not quite my #1 choice. In your opinion, should I try soliciting PT? What level of commitment you think they'd want at this point?

ajordan

Post by ajordan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:20 pm

Isn't the PT tied to binding ED?

Jack_Kelly

Post by Jack_Kelly » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:23 pm

ajordan wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:20 pm
Isn't the PT tied to binding ED?
Not at Duke

desertbb

Post by desertbb » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:25 pm

pioneer1234 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:55 pm
desertbb wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:23 pm
Just got Duke Priority Track invite this morning!

As an aside, I've decided not to apply this year and updated my start year preferences over the weekend. Would I be able to use this PT invite next year? Should I let Duke know?
Fwiw I received PT invite last year after taking my LSAT, but the email I got from Duke today said nothing about PT, only the fee waiver and ED info.
Darn, thanks for the heads up! I'll check-in with the admissions office anyways to see what they say.

Slippin’ Jimmy

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:01 pm

pioneer1234 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:39 pm
Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
I think that Duke is a fantastic school, and if my cycle will end with attending there, I will be absolutely thrilled. That said, if I'm honest they are not quite my #1 choice. In your opinion, should I try soliciting PT? What level of commitment you think they'd want at this point?
Check the PS forum for my Why Duke, I was asked after my initial email why I would be a good fit and I sent an abbreviated version as my response. I said it was "one of my top choices", I didn't flat out say it was my number one. I'd try to solicit PT, it can't hurt but don't make any kind of hard commitment.

If you have any other questions about Duke feel free to ask here, in the ask Duke students thread, or by PM and I'll try to answer as best I can as a brand new 1L.

pioneer1234

Post by pioneer1234 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:55 pm

Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:01 pm
pioneer1234 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:39 pm
Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
Check the PS forum for my Why Duke, I was asked after my initial email why I would be a good fit and I sent an abbreviated version as my response. I said it was "one of my top choices", I didn't flat out say it was my number one. I'd try to solicit PT, it can't hurt but don't make any kind of hard commitment.

If you have any other questions about Duke feel free to ask here, in the ask Duke students thread, or by PM and I'll try to answer as best I can as a brand new 1L.
This answers it. Thank you!

ajordan

Post by ajordan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:04 am

In at ASU via status checker. Super splitter.

Lankhs

Post by Lankhs » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:53 am

ajordan wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:04 am
In at ASU via status checker. Super splitter.
Nice, congrats! Must feel good to have one in the pocket.

ajordan

Post by ajordan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:13 am

Thanks! Yeah and it would be a good outcome for me and a great fit. I’m really impressed with their admissions dept judging by their social media presence and their intent on improving turn around times for applicants (y)

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:41 am

ajordan wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:13 am
Thanks! Yeah and it would be a good outcome for me and a great fit. I’m really impressed with their admissions dept judging by their social media presence and their intent on improving turn around times for applicants (y)
ASU was really quick with my turnaround last year. I remember getting the admission by phone call, and then the scholarship offer by email shortly thereafter. Really fun ASW, and they're in a practically brand new building. Congrats on having an early offer!

ChaimtheGreat

Post by ChaimtheGreat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:32 pm

How long does my LSAT addendum have to be on why I retook? It is like 3-4 sentences right now.

ajordan

Post by ajordan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:44 pm

That might already be 2-3 sentences too long iyam but I'm no expert.

Kaziende

Post by Kaziende » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:27 pm

Checking in!
Last edited by Kaziende on Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by AvatarRoku » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:15 pm

Northwestern decreased their ED scholarship from $150K to $120K

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ision.html

Berkley increased their ED scholarship from $60K to $75K

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admissions ... n-program/

Lankhs

Post by Lankhs » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:56 pm

Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
edit: nvm
Last edited by Lankhs on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Echos Myron

Post by Echos Myron » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:25 am

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:15 pm
Northwestern decreased their ED scholarship from $150K to $120K

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ision.html
Huge bummer. Was hoping they'd bump it up to 180k if anything. This used to be a full tuition scholarship when it was unveiled. Now it doesn't even cover 2/3 of tuition

Jack_Kelly

Post by Jack_Kelly » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:55 am

Wasn't the original purpose of that scholly understood to be to steal HYSCCN people? Seems like a significantly bigger stretch now- if you're in those schools you'd expect the low T13 are going to give you 2/3 regardless of ED.

ajordan

Post by ajordan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:04 pm

Yeah but the applicant pool got stronger last year, yeah? They probably were inundated with ED applications from folks that didn't qualify for all that money. Maybe they're testing to see if they'll still get their pick from offering less. Last cycle was a seller's market, adjustments are probably going to be made in the seller's favor, yeah?

Jack_Kelly

Post by Jack_Kelly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:08 pm

I have a not great GRE score I'd rather not report. Is there a list of which schools require you report it and which ones it is optional for? It LOOKS optional at USC, but I'm not quite sure still.

RichardMilhousNixon

Post by RichardMilhousNixon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:46 pm

How are folks doing "Why Penn" essays? It seems like we need to use the "core strengths" essay option and turn it into a Why Penn of some sort?

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:33 am

I'm in a position where I'm taking the November LSAT, but I already have a LSAT score on file. The LSAT score on file is at the 75th percentile for both of my target schools, but I'm hoping to increase my LSAT by a few more points to increase scholarship offers.

Given that this is predicted to be a heavily front-loaded cycle, do you think it would be beneficial to tell my target schools to go ahead with evaluating my applications, especially since my LSAT is already at 75th percentile for both schools?

Thanks for your time and advice!

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:55 am

Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:33 am
I'm in a position where I'm taking the November LSAT, but I already have a LSAT score on file. The LSAT score on file is at the 75th percentile for both of my target schools, but I'm hoping to increase my LSAT by a few more points to increase scholarship offers.

Given that this is predicted to be a heavily front-loaded cycle, do you think it would be beneficial to tell my target schools to go ahead with evaluating my applications, especially since my LSAT is already at 75th percentile for both schools?

I'm not an applicant, and haven't been one for quite some time, so take this for a grain of salt.

Assuming you're currently at the 75th LSAT for your target schools (I really, really want to ask about the schools you're targeting, but I'll abstain for now), the later LSAT will have minimal impact. If you currently have a 167, your target school's 75th is 167, and your GPA and resume aren't anything particularly special, a retake won't help (beyond offering other opportunities where the median LSAT is higher and job opportunities are better).

Look at it this way: most schools are targeting a statistical median in both GPA and LSAT. Some students will help both (and get scholarships to buy it), and some will help one or the other (and may or may not get scholarships to discount for you). Occasionally this formula will break, but you shouldn't count on that. So assume your 75th LSAT will pair with your GPA and give you scholarships based on those numbers.

If you can improve your score, just expand your application strategy. That increased LSAT will pay dividends once you have it. Don't worry about the applicant trends schedule. If you have a competitive LSAT and GPA, it won't become less competitive just because you waited.

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:16 am

UVA2B wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:55 am
Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:33 am

I'm not an applicant, and haven't been one for quite some time, so take this for a grain of salt.

Assuming you're currently at the 75th LSAT for your target schools (I really, really want to ask about the schools you're targeting, but I'll abstain for now), the later LSAT will have minimal impact. If you currently have a 167, your target school's 75th is 167, and your GPA and resume aren't anything particularly special, a retake won't help (beyond offering other opportunities where the median LSAT is higher and job opportunities are better).

Look at it this way: most schools are targeting a statistical median in both GPA and LSAT. Some students will help both (and get scholarships to buy it), and some will help one or the other (and may or may not get scholarships to discount for you). Occasionally this formula will break, but you shouldn't count on that. So assume your 75th LSAT will pair with your GPA and give you scholarships based on those numbers.

If you can improve your score, just expand your application strategy. That increased LSAT will pay dividends once you have it. Don't worry about the applicant trends schedule. If you have a competitive LSAT and GPA, it won't become less competitive just because you waited.
I'm definitely planning on expanding my list of schools if my LSAT score increases. My GPA is above the 75th percentile as well, so I'm not terribly concerned. If I'm inferring correctly from your statements, then it would be wise to inform the schools to go ahead with my application.

rachelac

Post by rachelac » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:24 am

RichardMilhousNixon wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:46 pm
How are folks doing "Why Penn" essays? It seems like we need to use the "core strengths" essay option and turn it into a Why Penn of some sort?
This is not helpful at all so I apologize for getting your hopes up with a notification but the unnecessary complexity of that essay prompt coupled with a sense of obligation to write all optional essays available is the reason I did not apply to Penn.