Old Fart Support Group

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
DorkothyParker

Re: Old Fart Support Group

Post by DorkothyParker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:00 pm

Ergh, my house has mold. It was discovered due to an inspection by a potential buyer (since rescinded). Remediation including heckin' lots of insulation is almost $8000. :( I'm working to get it covered by my insurance, but mold coverage is still only $5000 and I have $1000 deductible. Still, if I save $4k, it's worth is since my premiums won't go up because I'm selling it anyway.

I am never owning a house again.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:36 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:00 pm
Ergh, my house has mold. It was discovered due to an inspection by a potential buyer (since rescinded). Remediation including heckin' lots of insulation is almost $8000. :( I'm working to get it covered by my insurance, but mold coverage is still only $5000 and I have $1000 deductible. Still, if I save $4k, it's worth is since my premiums won't go up because I'm selling it anyway.

I am never owning a house again.
At least it's not the foundation?

fml

DorkothyParker

Post by DorkothyParker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:23 pm

You all right there, Stranger?

Much of the cost is the attic as we had some very unlikely snowmageddon issues in my high-desert town winter 16-17 with ice dam issues.
There were some mold issues in the crawl space below, but it's sparse. That's getting fixed tomorrow. The attic will take all of next week likely. But I think we can still show while they are working on it.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:42 pm

After the buyer backed out, we found some extensive foundation issues we're having to fix before we sell. We're having trouble getting the estimate and a company out to do the repairs. Shit keeps dragging out. The house won't be sold before I start law school.

DorkothyParker

Post by DorkothyParker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Got an offer on my house! We are under contract with a 8/3 signing date.
They are using the prior inspection and coming by today to look over it themselves as we fixed a couple minor issues already as well.

My homeowner's insurance is covering $5000 of the remediation work. (Crawlspace was $1700 out of pocket, and the attic will just be my $1000 deductible + $26 for the difference covered). Id' rather not have had any issues, but glad the insurance is covering much of it (as they should!) Plus the new buyers get new, super lush insulation. ;)

We're going to pod (well U-hual branded pod) the bit of furniture we are keeping and going to kick it with family here until September. Hopefully I don't go crazy.

We had to finangle some finances, but it's getting done. That's all that matters. :)

luckydevilcat

Post by luckydevilcat » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:20 pm

Stranger wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:42 pm
After the buyer backed out, we found some extensive foundation issues we're having to fix before we sell. We're having trouble getting the estimate and a company out to do the repairs. Shit keeps dragging out. The house won't be sold before I start law school.
Reading this is like looking in a mirror. I feel your pain.

We had two separate buyers under contract and both backed out. Now we're dealing with foundation and a/c problems. The only good news so far is that the foundation repair quote is only $4000, and not the $10,000 we were expecting. Never thought I'd be relieved to spend 4 grand. Won't have our house sold or rented by the time I start, either.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:35 pm

luckydevilcat wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:20 pm
Stranger wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:42 pm
Reading this is like looking in a mirror. I feel your pain.

We had two separate buyers under contract and both backed out. Now we're dealing with foundation and a/c problems. The only good news so far is that the foundation repair quote is only $4000, and not the $10,000 we were expecting. Never thought I'd be relieved to spend 4 grand. Won't have our house sold or rented by the time I start, either.
We finally have workers under the house. I'm hoping to be back on the market in October.

lmb38

Post by lmb38 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:25 pm

Checking in once again... decided to withdraw and reapply after a very mediocre cycle. I applied late last year, so hoping getting apps in more timely will at least help. Signed up to retake LSAT again in Nov to see if I can squeeze any more points out. So sorry to see all of the house selling drama! Any other old farts here for the new cycle?

Experiment626

Post by Experiment626 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:52 am

Not for the initial application cycle, but I may try and transfer. Currently entering week 2 of evening classes.

macncheezplz

Post by macncheezplz » Sat May 04, 2019 7:59 am

Checking in on all my old farts. Just finished with my last final of 1L the other day and start my SA on Monday. How are you all doing?

haus

Post by haus » Sat May 04, 2019 2:03 pm

macncheezplz wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:59 am
Checking in on all my old farts. Just finished with my last final of 1L the other day and start my SA on Monday. How are you all doing?
Congrats!

I am almost done (one paper left to submit) with law school.

Experiment626

Post by Experiment626 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:11 am

Finished last week. Enjoying 2 more weeks of no classes before summer session starts and going on vacation from work starting Friday, I'm a night student. Got onto a Journal during our write-on competition over spring break and am feeling pretty good about wrapping up year 1 of 4.

DorkothyParker

Post by DorkothyParker » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:17 pm

Hey guys!
It's been ages since I logged in. (Work is slooooow today...)

My school is on a quarterly system so I had my last final on June 14th and started my summer internship on June 17th. I'm finangling 13 weeks because money and just taking one week off before fall quarter starts in September.

My daughter is visiting her grandparents (and auntie and uncle) until July 31st so I have suddenly found myself with free time after work. It's strange (and a little sad).

How did everyone fair for 1l year?

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:31 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:17 pm
Hey guys!
It's been ages since I logged in. (Work is slooooow today...)

My school is on a quarterly system so I had my last final on June 14th and started my summer internship on June 17th. I'm finangling 13 weeks because money and just taking one week off before fall quarter starts in September.

My daughter is visiting her grandparents (and auntie and uncle) until July 31st so I have suddenly found myself with free time after work. It's strange (and a little sad).

How did everyone fair for 1l year?
Hey! Good to hear from you. I managed to do alright in spite of my sleep apnea getting so bad that I was passing out in class and the library from lack of REM sleep second semester. I got a CPAP early in the summer, and hoo boy does it help. I've been interning with a state court of appeals judge, which has been a great experience this summer - really interesting issues and cases to work on. Our schedule is *way* earlier than yours - I took my last exam on April 26th, took a week off to do write-on (for nothing, alas), then started in with the internship. I'll wrap up my twelfth and final week next week, then head back and start interviewing. Hope the rest of the crew is doing well, too.