Dean Zearfoss has been making excellent YouTube content this summer

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Dean Zearfoss has been making excellent YouTube content this summer

Post by icechicken » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:29 pm

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Re: Dean Zearfoss has been making excellent YouTube content this summer

Post by icechicken » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:15 am

Not to be outdone, YLS and HLS's deans of admission have announced a collab podcast, although the first episode is not expected for another week or two.

http://yalepodcasts.blubrry.net/tag/law-school/

Buckeye Gus

Post by Buckeye Gus » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:00 pm

I’m a rising 3L and I don’t go to Michigan but I’ve been watching her videos and wishing I approached my application process differently.

Baguette

Post by Baguette » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:25 pm

Buckeye Gus wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:00 pm
I’m a rising 3L and I don’t go to Michigan but I’ve been watching her videos and wishing I approached my application process differently.
How so? Curious what parts I should pay closest attention to.

Buckeye Gus

Post by Buckeye Gus » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:58 pm

Baguette wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:25 pm
Buckeye Gus wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:00 pm
How so? Curious what parts I should pay closest attention to.
The biggest mistakes I made were focusing only on one school and not retaking the LSAT to get more scholarship money.

One of her videos that stuck with me mentioned researching why you‘d want to attend a particular school and doing your due diligence to make sure it’s a good fit. I wish I had spent more time learning about all of my options but I zeroed in on one school and I’ve got a bit of buyers remorse.

I should have taken the time to understand the process more and learn about other schools (looking at 509s, employment data, etc), think about what career paths I wanted, and retake the LSAT to avoid most of the debt I now have. I didn’t know what I didn’t know. Being in law school makes me realize how many people were better prepared and more informed about their goals.

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:34 am

Latest video should be mandatory watching for anyone considering Early Decision:

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:41 pm

Just watched a live webinar with put on by the folks at Berkeley. Great content, and in particular they did a good job answering people's live questions, but the audio quality left a lot to be desired. I'm pretty sure one representative was using Airpods as her microphone - low volume and low fidelity too. Had to move to a quieter room and crank my laptop volume to 100% to understand anything at all.

Obviously, live vs. prerecorded is a totally different ballgame, and I'm grateful for the outreach they're doing, but it really throws into relief the higher production values of these Youtube videos (the Harvard/Yale podcast also has great audio). From an applicant's point of view, it's hard not to notice at a psychological level, especially now that "Zoom call quality" could be a huge part of the classroom experience in Fall '21.