LSAT Addendum Needed? 162 -168-180

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
cousinvinny13

LSAT Addendum Needed? 162 -168-180

Post by cousinvinny13 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:12 pm

I am weighing the pros and cons of submitting an addendum to my law school applications "explaining" my LSAT scores, which range 18 points(162-168-180) over a three-year period. Some advisors have recommended the addendum, but the more I talk to them, the more it seems that the risks outweigh the benefits, but I want a wider opinion.

Context: I first took the LSAT three years ago. I did not half-ass it. I studied hard, but my stumbling blocks were, and always have been, test anxiety and the time crunch. I got a 162. It didn't make sense for me to apply with that score when I knew I could do better. I put law school to the side and focused my attention on using the degrees/tools that I already have to work on public interest issues that I care about. I worked on Medicaid and criminal justice issues for the next three years. These experiences increased by appetite to study law; I want the "keys to the courthouse" so I can do impact litigation one day. Furthermore, working alongside many lawyers over the last three years taught me to think like a lawyer, which may have helped out with the LSAT.

My next two scores are from the last few months. I studied my ass off, and knew from practice tests that I was capable of the high 170s. The first re-take, I got a 168. I knew I could do better. I focused on my confidence and timing with the help of a tutor. A few months later, I got the 180.

Frankly, I just think the LSAT is a matter of practice makes perfect (literally). Simple as that. But I worry that anything I say could be spun to be interpreted as not taking my LSAT prep seriously the first time around or somehow gaming the system. Thoughts?

Nony

Re: LSAT Addendum Needed? 162 -168-180

Post by Nony » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:26 pm

I don’t think it’s necessary to include an addendum unless the school specifically asks for one (I think some do). But if they do, something much shorter than what you wrote here would be fine, and it won’t look like you half-assed it the first time around (though it wouldn’t matter at all if you did) or like you were gaming the system. Your first score was from some years ago and although you studied hard you had issues with test anxiety. After returning to the test years later you tried again, got a 168, believed you could do better, worked with a tutor, and got a 180. That’s all you need to say, if a school wants to know. Lots of people take multiple times and improve over time.

app

Post by app » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:18 pm

cousinvinny13 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:12 pm
I am weighing the pros and cons of submitting an addendum to my law school applications "explaining" my LSAT scores, which range 18 points(162-168-180) over a three-year period. Some advisors have recommended the addendum, but the more I talk to them, the more it seems that the risks outweigh the benefits, but I want a wider opinion.

Context: I first took the LSAT three years ago. I did not half-ass it. I studied hard, but my stumbling blocks were, and always have been, test anxiety and the time crunch. I got a 162. It didn't make sense for me to apply with that score when I knew I could do better. I put law school to the side and focused my attention on using the degrees/tools that I already have to work on public interest issues that I care about. I worked on Medicaid and criminal justice issues for the next three years. These experiences increased by appetite to study law; I want the "keys to the courthouse" so I can do impact litigation one day. Furthermore, working alongside many lawyers over the last three years taught me to think like a lawyer, which may have helped out with the LSAT.

My next two scores are from the last few months. I studied my ass off, and knew from practice tests that I was capable of the high 170s. The first re-take, I got a 168. I knew I could do better. I focused on my confidence and timing with the help of a tutor. A few months later, I got the 180.

Frankly, I just think the LSAT is a matter of practice makes perfect (literally). Simple as that. But I worry that anything I say could be spun to be interpreted as not taking my LSAT prep seriously the first time around or somehow gaming the system. Thoughts?
you should post your prep advice here, as yours would be very useful for those who studying for it. which administrations were these?

regarding addendum, i don't think that's at all needed. no upside. unnecessary imo.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:27 pm

I agree with Nony - you don't need an addendum unless the school explicitly requires it for certain score jumps. The only score that the schools have to report is the 180, so they don't have much incentive to focus on your other scores.

duke baloney

Post by duke baloney » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:34 pm

i think the 180 speaks for itself

cousinvinny13

Post by cousinvinny13 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:45 pm

Thank you everyone! This affirms my instinct (and desire to avoid more writing). I appreciate it!