Baguette Applies to Law School

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 5501
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:08 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:11 pm

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that. Well, don't count Stanford out just yet!

I'd wait and see what happens with the rest of your apps and then, if needed, consider reapplying next year. I think it's just a weird cycle because of COVID, even though things are always unpredictable for splitters. Duke (if they show you the money) would still be a great outcome, but hopefully it doesn't end up being the only good option.

User avatar
Nony
Posts: 9246
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by Nony » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:15 pm

I've also always heard that Berkeley favors GPA over LSAT, so don't take that one too hard. There's still a lot of applications to go.

Baguette
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by Baguette » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:26 pm

Northwestern waitlist. Another decision which isn't too surprising in a vacuum, but I'm officially convinced I'm underperforming compared to the (thin) historical data for my numbers. I think I'm going to reread my apps in a month and see if anything went wrong. Maybe it's just a bad cycle.

Story
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:56 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by Story » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:02 pm

I would re-apply, especially because that seems to be what your gut is telling you. And of course re-assess and review app materials. Have a second set of eyes take a look too.

Baguette
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by Baguette » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:53 pm

Email came from NYU an hour later, heart in my throat...

HTE

Feels like bad news, on balance, especially because I was so bullish about NYU going into this process (and it's probably tied for my top choice), but also a reminder that this year isn't over.
Story wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:02 pm
I would re-apply, especially because that seems to be what your gut is telling you. And of course re-assess and review app materials. Have a second set of eyes take a look too.
I'm seriously thinking about it, but if I get a decent aid package from Duke I doubt I I can turn it down. If I'm as awesome at law stuff as I think I am, and a little lucky, I reckon I can just transfer. And, if not, mediocre grades at Duke would be enough firepower for a firm job in NYC and/or my flyover-state hometown.

The marginal improvement in outcomes of going to some other T14 just doesn't seem worth the wait: I'm already on track to turn 30 while still in law school. Honestly once of the silver linings of this process is that it's bleached out any delusions I once had about different schools being extra special places to be, or extra interested in bizarre splitter backgrounds like mine.

User avatar
Jack_Kelly
Posts: 910
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:40 am

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by Jack_Kelly » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:02 pm

I had similar stats- which is a rarity- and a similar result to what you have now a couple years back (lil bit better GPA, lil bit worse LSAT- not the sparkly 180 but close). I'm not sure I think you should reapply, next year will presumably have more high LSATs with the Flex being the norm from now on, and those schools that let you in might YP you. I think if Duke gives you good money that's a reasonable choice.

MichiganHoosier
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by MichiganHoosier » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:30 pm

Hey, Baguette!

Throwing in my results for you as you weigh your options on whether to go forward or re-apply. We have nearly identical GPAs, but you have me beat by a few points on the LSAT (I’m lower 170s. 180? You rock!). And I blanketed the T14 + UCLA and ASU back in September. I do have quite a few years of unique work experience (military), which I think has given me a considerable boost.

Accepted: ASU, UCLA, Georgetown, Michigan, Penn
Waitlisted: Chicago, Berkeley, Northwestern, Duke
Rejected: Yale
Pending: Stanford, Harvard, Columbia, NYU, UVA, Cornell

app
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by app » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:30 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:02 pm
I had similar stats- which is a rarity- and a similar result to what you have now a couple years back (lil bit better GPA, lil bit worse LSAT- not the sparkly 180 but close). I'm not sure I think you should reapply, next year will presumably have more high LSATs with the Flex being the norm from now on, and those schools that let you in might YP you. I think if Duke gives you good money that's a reasonable choice.
what were your highest acceptances and where did you go finally?
i assume you had a high 170s, do you think for someone with just a point or two above 170 it'd make a difference to retake?

User avatar
Jack_Kelly
Posts: 910
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:40 am

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by Jack_Kelly » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:14 pm

app wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:30 pm
Jack_Kelly wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:02 pm
I had similar stats- which is a rarity- and a similar result to what you have now a couple years back (lil bit better GPA, lil bit worse LSAT- not the sparkly 180 but close). I'm not sure I think you should reapply, next year will presumably have more high LSATs with the Flex being the norm from now on, and those schools that let you in might YP you. I think if Duke gives you good money that's a reasonable choice.
what were your highest acceptances and where did you go finally?
i assume you had a high 170s, do you think for someone with just a point or two above 170 it'd make a difference to retake?
I originally applied with 3.4x/17low, raapplied with 3.4x/17high, got into fewer schools lol. My personal statement sucked second go-around and I had bad softs (both times).

But my (lone) T14 offer was with $$ vs. at sticker first time around. I attend a lower half T14.

2 years ago 170+ was more valuable than it is now with the Flex I think (but same with 178+).

Baguette
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by Baguette » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:03 pm

MichiganHoosier wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:30 pm
Hey, Baguette!

[...]
It's nice to hear from you! I've seen you on some of the other websites.

Sadly I got waitlisted by Mich today so looks increasingly unlikely that we'll be classmates :lol: but I'm glad at least there's some upside for splitters this year. Wild that we're both still waiting on almost the exact same schools (though I've been R'd by Stanford and Cornell since you posted)
Jack_Kelly wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:02 pm
I had similar stats- which is a rarity- and a similar result to what you have now a couple years back (lil bit better GPA, lil bit worse LSAT- not the sparkly 180 but close). I'm not sure I think you should reapply, next year will presumably have more high LSATs with the Flex being the norm from now on, and those schools that let you in might YP you. I think if Duke gives you good money that's a reasonable choice.
Thanks for the perspective. I feel more excited about Duke every day, honestly, so my optimism has increased even as this good-news drought continues.

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 5501
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:08 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:06 pm

Duke is great. Excellent job outcomes, pretty campus, way cheaper cost-of-living than somewhere like NYC, and you should be eligible for some $$ based on your stats. Not a bad outcome at all, if that's what happens this year. But you still have a couple months to keep hearing back!

Baguette
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by Baguette » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:20 am

Slytherpuff wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:06 pm
But you still have a couple months to keep hearing back!
I am holding out hope for NYU in particular because they seem to have such nice people!!

Baguette
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by Baguette » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:55 pm

  • Rejected by Harvard on March 2nd;
  • Waitlisted by WashU on March 5th (I withdrew; they emailed last week to advise that I probably wouldn't be getting admitted from the waitlist anyway)
  • Waitlisted by UVA on March 16;
  • Waitlisted by NYU a few hours ago. That's my 12th negative decision in a row.
Columbia is still, in theory, outstanding, although I'm pretty pessimistic about getting admitted on Friday. Duke's offered me a total of $45k in merit aid (Vandy beat that, ever so slightly, and UCLA offered nothing); I deposited before their deadline and now I'm pretty sure I won't have much leverage to negotiate with.

Really struggling to decide whether I should matriculate this fall. I like Duke, but I'm looking at CoA of perhaps $270k. On the other hand, if I reapply, I have literally no idea what I could do to strengthen my application in the intervening 12 months. I've already hit the ceiling on the LSAT, my job doesn't have any room for advancement (and is very grindy for the pay), and that immutable 3.30 GPA just hangs around my neck like a cursed necklace.

I'll ride the NYU waitlist for the foreseeable future but getting admitted in June/July/August would be a spectacular pain in the ass (my current lease in NYC expires at the end of May and my landlord isn't keen on month-to-month) and sticker at one of those schools is hard to weigh against almost-sticker at Duke anyhow. Feeling very blegh.
Last edited by Baguette on Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DankHill
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by DankHill » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:57 pm

.
Last edited by DankHill on Wed May 05, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:00 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:12 pm

is Duke's COA really 270k after 45k of scholarship? that doesn't seem right. 170k maybe? 170k is still a lot though.

i think sitting out and reapplying with a 180 in a non-covid year is tcr. WUSTL turning down a perfect score is really head scratchy and shows how underweighted the LSAT was for these past 2 covid cycles. Also should look into hiring Spivey to help you out with your applications bc it does look like you severely underperformed.

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 5501
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:08 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:37 pm

Baguette, if it gives you any hope, I was in your shoes at NYU back in 2014. Was waitlisted at the end of April and got in literally two weeks later in early May, before I had time to even prep a LOCI. Give them a little bit of time, they have a big class and I think you'll have an AMAZING chance of getting off their waitlist even with the unpredictability of this cycle.

If NYU doesn't pan out, I would probably say to sit it out and reapply next year. Duke was a great option for you, but they lowballed you with the scholarship offer and I think you could do much better next year. I agree with looking into hiring Spivey to look at your application materials because you definitely underperformed that score - maybe their team will have ideas for how to revamp your essays (which could make the difference next year).

User avatar
DankHill
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by DankHill » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:57 pm

.
Last edited by DankHill on Wed May 05, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
DankHill
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by DankHill » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:01 pm

.
Last edited by DankHill on Wed May 05, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baguette
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by Baguette » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:38 pm

You are all far too kind 😭

I've already drafted my LOCI as a coping mechanism. If anyone (especially someone familiar with NYU) would be willing to take a look and make sure it passes the sniff test, would very much appreciate it.

Story
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:56 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by Story » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:54 pm

I would reapply. It is tough to wait another year, but I think it’s best. I don’t think you can do worse next year.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 1956
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:35 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by haus » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:12 pm

Baguette,

I wanted to tell you that you are an great candidate who has the misfortune of applying in a bonkers year.

app
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by app » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:37 pm

DankHill wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:57 pm
Baguette wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:55 pm
  • Rejected by Harvard on March 2nd;
  • Waitlisted by WashU on March 5th (I withdrew; they emailed last week to advise that I probably wouldn't be getting admitted from the waitlist anyway)
  • Waitlisted by UVA on March 16;
  • Waitlisted by NYU a few hours ago. That's my 12th negative decision in a row.
Columbia is still, in theory, outstanding, although I'm pretty pessimistic about getting admitted on Friday. Duke's offered me a total of $45k in merit aid (Vandy beat that, ever so slightly, and UCLA offered nothing); I deposited before their deadline and now I'm pretty sure I won't have much leverage to negotiate with.

Really struggling to decide whether I should matriculate this fall. I like Duke, but I'm looking at CoA of perhaps $270k. On the other hand, if I reapply, I have literally no idea what I could do to strengthen my application in the intervening 12 months. I've already hit the ceiling on the LSAT, my job doesn't have any room for advancement (and is very grindy for the pay), and that immutable 3.30 GPA just hangs around my neck like a cursed necklace.

I'll ride the NYU waitlist for the foreseeable future but getting admitted in June/August would be a spectacular pain in the ass (my current lease in NYC expires at the end of May and my landlord isn't keen on month-to-month) and sticker at one of those schools is hard to weigh against almost-sticker at Duke anyhow. Feeling very blegh.

This process is so ridiculous. Keep your chin up. You have some good options
also consider reapplying as the next year cycle hopefully may be better?

this year is specially crazy, may be partly due to lsat-flex and switch to computer. the lsac curve's percentiles were way off in the early part of flex.

looks like 3.9+/175+ rejected without interview/wl at h is becoming more common than before.

User avatar
DankHill
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by DankHill » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:53 pm

.
Last edited by DankHill on Wed May 05, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

app
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by app » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:12 pm

Baguette wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:38 pm
You are all far too kind 😭

I've already drafted my LOCI as a coping mechanism. If anyone (especially someone familiar with NYU) would be willing to take a look and make sure it passes the sniff test, would very much appreciate it.

You can pm me for a look.

Baguette
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by Baguette » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:50 pm

Apologies to all - I got nervous and simply sent it this morning. Intend to post everything, when all is said and done, in case it might be useful to people in similar situations.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests