LSL c/o 2021 Applicants

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.

Have you made your decision?

I'm 100% sure where I'm going!
38%
I've narrowed it down to 2-3 schools.
40%
I can't pick, you won't make me!
1%
Still waiting on scholarship info.
4%
Riding out the waitlists.
9%
Reapplying next year.
8%

Total votes: 78

Littlewing67

Re: LSL c/o 2021 Applicants

Post by Littlewing67 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:03 pm

JUST WAITING ON ONE MORE SCHOOL WOW I FEEL SO FREEE

I applied to 20 schools

Waiting on NYU
Accepted: Michigan, UCLA, WUSTL, UCI, Emory, GW, BC, W&L, W&M, UNC
WL: Columbia, UPenn, Duke, Northwestern, Cornell, GULC
Rejected: UVA, Berkeley, USC (lol)

Going to work on my LOCIs and see what happens with these waitlists

solennita

Post by solennita » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:32 pm

BlondeAmbiti0n wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:14 pm
solennita wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:02 pm
I’ve heard stories from a few other applicants who reported back with good luck post-nail polish use so hopefully the juju spreads to future cycles as well :) ❤️
Guide request: Solennita's Magic Nail Polish Guide for Law School Admissions
:lol: i'm dead hahaha

Walliums

Post by Walliums » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:24 am

Last night I had a dream that I was still being left on read by NYU.

I didn’t even apply to NYU...

Rowdy

Post by Rowdy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:09 am

Walliums wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:24 am

You're having the dream for the rest of us

DorkothyParker

Post by DorkothyParker » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Deposited at safety school, but still dreaming of that sweet call off a waitlist.

Walliums

Post by Walliums » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:58 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:03 pm
Deposited at safety school, but still dreaming of that sweet call off a waitlist.
Where?!?!

TedBuckland

Post by TedBuckland » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:46 pm

Walliums wrote:

Have you ever heard how sometimes guys will get morning sickness during their SO's pregnancy because they're so emotionally attached? Yeah that's what's happening here. I'm not sure if that's better or worse. Lol

Walliums

Post by Walliums » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:27 pm

TedBuckland wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:46 pm
Walliums wrote:

Have you ever heard how sometimes guys will get morning sickness during their SO's pregnancy because they're so emotionally attached? Yeah that's what's happening here. I'm not sure if that's better or worse. Lol
😰

mwells56

Post by mwells56 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:37 pm

Littlewing67 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:03 pm
JUST WAITING ON ONE MORE SCHOOL WOW I FEEL SO FREEE

I applied to 20 schools

Waiting on NYU
Accepted: Michigan, UCLA, WUSTL, UCI, Emory, GW, BC, W&L, W&M, UNC
WL: Columbia, UPenn, Duke, Northwestern, Cornell, GULC
Rejected: UVA, Berkeley, USC (lol)

Going to work on my LOCIs and see what happens with these waitlists
Are we doing a "where are you at in your cycle" discussion? I'll bite.

Accepted: Georgetown (75k), WashU (150k), Fordham (135k)
WL: Penn, Michigan, Virginia, Duke, Berkeley, Vanderbilt
Rejected: Chicago, Northwestern
Pending: Columbia (ED hold), NYU (UR1 11/13...)

I withdrew my apps from Fordham and WashU. Especially after (1) getting a pretty solid scholarship after being placed on the alternate list initially, (2) getting accepted to the Business Law Scholars Program, and (3) the employment numbers from yesterday, I feel much better (read: was not happy at all before, am now content at worst) about going to Georgetown than I did two-three weeks ago.

Going to take my name off the wait-lists at Virginia, Duke, Berkeley, and Vanderbilt (still shocked about the Vandy WL, according to myLSN I'm one of only 4 people with my stats to not get accepted in the last 5 years). Once my finals are over I'm gonna write LOCIs to Michigan and Penn, as well as Columbia and NYU assuming they WL me. Also secured an extra LOR from one of my current professors that I'll send to the schools that let you do that (I know Penn does but I forget about the other ones).

Overall, weird friggin' cycle for me. Three acceptances with good $ but then all WLs and rejections? Whaddup with that?

Rowdy

Post by Rowdy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:07 pm

mwells56 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:37 pm

I withdrew my apps from Fordham and WashU. Especially after (1) getting a pretty solid scholarship after being placed on the alternate list initially, (2) getting accepted to the Business Law Scholars Program, and (3) the employment numbers from yesterday, I feel much better (read: was not happy at all before, am now content at worst) about going to Georgetown than I did two-three weeks ago.

Going to take my name off the wait-lists at Virginia, Duke, Berkeley, and Vanderbilt (still shocked about the Vandy WL, according to myLSN I'm one of only 4 people with my stats to not get accepted in the last 5 years). Once my finals are over I'm gonna write LOCIs to Michigan and Penn, as well as Columbia and NYU assuming they WL me. Also secured an extra LOR from one of my current professors that I'll send to the schools that let you do that (I know Penn does but I forget about the other ones).

Overall, weird friggin' cycle for me. Three acceptances with good $ but then all WLs and rejections? Whaddup with that?
Your cycle seems pretty normal to me. Not sure what your stats are but my guess is you're not a splitter and your stats are great for WUSTL/Fordham, Good for GT, and OK but not awesome for most of the T13.

Why are you withdrawing from those three T13 schools, particularly UVA? It doesn't cost you anything to be on a waitlist, and it would be easy to switch to UVA at the last minute even.

app

Post by app » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:28 pm

Rowdy wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:07 pm
mwells56 wrote:

Your cycle seems pretty normal to me. Not sure what your stats are but my guess is you're not a splitter and your stats are great for WUSTL/Fordham, Good for GT, and OK but not awesome for most of the T13.

Why are you withdrawing from those three T13 schools, particularly UVA? It doesn't cost you anything to be on a waitlist, and it would be easy to switch to UVA at the last minute even.

without specific numbers it's hard to accurately say how weird it is or not, but isn't it kinda settled wisdom at this point that it's been a rough cycle particularly for schools in t6/t13? so some of those decisions at col, nyu, or penn/mich/uva could have been different if i am not mistaken.

Rowdy

Post by Rowdy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:32 pm

app wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:28 pm
Rowdy wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

without specific numbers it's hard to accurately say how weird it is or not, but isn't it kinda settled wisdom at this point that it's been a rough cycle particularly for schools in t6/t13? so some of those decisions at col, nyu, or penn/mich/uva could have been different if i am not mistaken.
I ABSOLUTELY believe it's been a rough cycle. I just thought the scholarships probably made sense, that's all

mwells56

Post by mwells56 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Rowdy wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

Yeah I mean I was between the 25ths and 50ths (168/3.72) for all the lower t13 so you nailed it on that one. I just find it strange that law school admissions works in such a way that you're either in with money or WL/rejected. Like, why do the schools take a borderline candidate like me and throw me on the WL instead of offering me an acceptance at sticker?

I don't really have any desire to go to those three schools over my Georgetown offer at this point. I think I'd rather just withdraw so I can stop worrying about it, move on, let somebody else take the spot that I may or may not have had. For the other ones, I'm an undergrad at Michigan and love Ann Arbor so I'd possibly be willing to forgo GULC for them, and I'm from NY so NYU/Columbia/Penn being closer to home would be nice also.

Wouldn't be so easy for me to switch last minute either way because I have an SO moving with me to DC so idk how long I'm even going to stay on the WL's I want to stay on. I think once I sign a lease in DC I'm going to withdraw from everything, so I guess it's kind of silly to withdraw from those other wait-lists anyway. Either way, I'm pretty content with where I'm going now so it's all chill.

Rowdy

Post by Rowdy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:37 pm

That makes sense MW56. DC is a lovely city, congrats on getting approximately infinity percent more money at GT than I did 🎉

mwells56

Post by mwells56 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:39 pm

Rowdy wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:32 pm
I ABSOLUTELY believe it's been a rough cycle. I just thought the scholarships probably made sense, that's all
No yeah the money I got from the schools I was accepted at makes total sense, I just think the prevalence of wait-lists vs. zero sticker offers is weird.

edit: I also figured that due to the borderline-iness of my app, by sheer dumb luck I'd get in to 1-2 t13 schools. Ah well, GTown is back in the 14 slot and the new BL+FC% is super encouraging.
Last edited by mwells56 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mwells56

Post by mwells56 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Rowdy wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:37 pm
That makes sense MW56. DC is a lovely city, congrats on getting approximately infinity percent more money at GT than I did 🎉
*shaka brah*

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:00 am

When can we reasonably expect to get all initial responses? (Accept/Wl/Ding)

Like everyone else I’m still waiting on NYU and Yale (lol) both of which are probably rejects. At this point I’m happy to go to Michigan and have already signed a lease but I’m just wanting my cycle to end and idk what the timeline might look like.

Thanks friends!

Legally Bland

Post by Legally Bland » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:31 am

ekiki wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:00 am

Like everyone else I’m still waiting on NYU and Yale (lol) both of which are probably rejects. At this point I’m happy to go to Michigan and have already signed a lease but I’m just wanting my cycle to end and idk what the timeline might look like.

Thanks friends!
I took the liberty of contacting both schools -- NYU and Yale claim they are trying to get all decisions out by the end of this week (Friday evening)

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:35 am

Legally Bland wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:31 am
ekiki wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks friends!
I took the liberty of contacting both schools -- NYU and Yale claim they are trying to get all decisions out by the end of this week (Friday evening)
Thanks for the info!

dorbelonline

Post by dorbelonline » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:33 am

Nice post