Admission program for MDs

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
cardiac_arrest

Admission program for MDs

Post by cardiac_arrest » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:51 pm

Hello

I am finishing my MD degree next month and have decided I am completely sick of medicine (mostly the people in it)

My goal is to become a MD/JD, specialize in malpractice, and sue the bejeezus out of other physicians

Does anybody know of programs for someone in my shoes. I went to sign up for the LSAT and June registration is closed.. and I start residency in July. I don't think I will have any time to study for / take the LSAT during residency

Thanks

PS: In case I never achieve this goal... a tip to all the lawyers / future lawyers out there... there is about to be a ton of malpractice out there as doctors get saddled with "supervising" midlevel charts of some nurse practitioner who works 50 miles away and they never met in person. I predict you will laugh your way to the bank

UVA2B

Re: Admission program for MDs

Post by UVA2B » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:11 pm

You'll need to pick a professional path. You won't be able to go through residency while completing a JD.

On the med mal note, I think you overestimate how med mal actually works, especially as physicians operate in supervisory roles. Although there is additional risk to mid levels who see patients without an MD seeing the patient, I'm skeptical there is a sudden boom of med mal coming from this. MDs supervising mid levels without seeing the patients is not a new phenomenon, and the same standard of care will carry whether malpractice actually occurred.

Maybe get through your current professional training before you judge it from a legal liability standpoint. You don't know anything about the law right now. But if you feel that strongly about it, get out of your training and go get a JD to practice in med mal.

cardiac_arrest

Post by cardiac_arrest » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:14 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I am committed to bailing out of medicine and will be leaving after the intern year. I just can't find anything about whether I can apply this fall without taking the LSAT

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:15 pm

If you have a GRE, you could apply to a bunch of JD programs. Absent that, no one really knows how admissions will be handled during a pandemic when testing is literally in flux.

cardiac_arrest

Post by cardiac_arrest » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:22 pm

Awesome. I just found out I can take the GRE from home. Thanks for your help. Will check in here if I have any more questions about the process.