Graduating college early using lots of AP/IB credit

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
ensoleiller

Graduating college early using lots of AP/IB credit

Post by ensoleiller » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:37 am

I'll be an undergrad first-year in the fall at a large public university. Due to the amount of AP/IB credit I accumulated in high school, I theoretically could graduate in 2 years, though I will probably stay for 3. Either way, when I graduate, my transcript will have a lot of courses from AP/IB credit that simply appear as Credit/No Credit. I worried that I might be disadvantaged in law school applications when law schools see that I didn't take that many "real" college courses for real grades, causing them to think that I didn't challenge myself or that I won't be prepared for the rigors of law school. Are my fears valid, or does it not matter as long as I get a high GPA in the courses I do take?

Yes, I know I'm thinking about law school very early, but I'm choosing between two large public universities, one of which has a limit on AP/IB credit and the other of which does not, so getting this addressed will help me choose which college to attend. Thanks!

UVA2B

Re: Graduating college early using lots of AP/IB credit

Post by UVA2B » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:09 am

The number of AP/IB isn’t going to negatively impact your law school applications so long as the rest of your transcripts, and therefore your GPA, are strong.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:16 am

It won't matter either way as long as the rest of your application (particularly your LSAT score and GPA) are strong. I would just pick whichever school you prefer of those - whether one is a better school or gave you a better financial aid package - and not worry about how it will impact law school admissions.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:01 am

better yet, don't go into college with law school as your goal.

can you articulate why you want to be a lawyer? i'm sure many here will reset your assumptions and expectations accordingly.

ensoleiller

Post by ensoleiller » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:29 pm

Thanks all for your replies!

@pancakes3 I haven't pigeonholed myself into law. It's simply something I think I may want to pursue after I graduate, thus I'm considering how the undergrad I choose (and their AP/IB policies) might affect that.

RichardMilhousNixon

Post by RichardMilhousNixon » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:49 pm

As others have said, it most likely won't matter and don't let that be something that affects your decision for UG.

I will add - I suspect graduating in two years and applying as a KJD likely would negatively impact you, at least a bit. This is anecdotal but I've seen a few LSN profiles where the applicants were ~19 and far under-performed their numbers, likely because the adcomms weren't convinced of their maturity and life experience. So if you do graduate in two years and think you're still interested in law school, I'd hold off and get some life experience before applying. (Altho, tbh, that advice applies no matter how many years it takes you to graduate.)

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:16 pm

nobody wants a 20 y/o SA.

64Fl

Post by 64Fl » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:19 pm

I graduated in 3yrs. Went K-JD. Landed at a top firm.

I don't really regret K-JD.

I don't really regret becoming a lawyer, though I did not enjoy law school.

I do regret, however, graduating a year early. There really is nothing like college. If it's not too financially burdensome, I'd consider sticking around for all 4 years, picking up another major, getting new experiences inside/outside of the classroom. You'll never get a time to pursue your passions and intellectual tangents so freely and enjoyably. Law school is pretty much an passionless academic void, unfortunately.