What are my chances? At 33 years old, Should I try to go to law-school. Please give me your honest feedback.

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
Indecision

What are my chances? At 33 years old, Should I try to go to law-school. Please give me your honest feedback.

Post by Indecision » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:44 pm

Hello,

I finished undergrad back in Late 2010 with a 3.23 GPA. (Major GPA 3.6 in History) I was considering this during my last year and after I finished but I never made the next step. My original intent was to take a couple years off, think about it, then make a decision. Well, life happened and that decision never came. Embarrassing? Yes, very..

I haven’t even taken the LSAT (although i am preparing for it), but I would assume that I will need to take a course at some point as it’s been several years since I attended college. I can’t really gauge how well I will do. I took logic in college but again this was almost 10 years ago.

I currently work for in operations/service at a bank but I find my self often questioning what I am doing with my life. Non Stop existential questions and I really dislike the culture.

I always think about lawschool, and it often comes up in conversations with people. I actually find the idea somewhat daunting, especially considering I would likely have to take student loans to pay for it(and to SURVIVE). I still have about 30k from undergrad. The debt issue is a big reason why I have never taken the next step. In addition, I haven’t been entirely sold that this is what I want to do. With that being said, it often resurfaces. I have no idea if I would get any assistance. My assumption would be very little to none. I am a single white heterosexual male. I was born in the lower working class (although now I make just north of 50k, However I don't see my job lasting for another 3 years, Layoffs could be impending.) I have had several health issues, For Example:Cancer in 08/09. Major Depression, GAD, Thyroid issues. I am not sure where that would put me. I've had a number of jobs, all relatively entry level and all with very zero meaning to me.

I highly doubt I will receive a scholarship or some sort off offer. It just seems unlikely based off my GPA. Maybe I am wrong?

Another issue: I am 32 and will be 33 by may. It seems like the time for this decision has past and I would be in a disadvantage. My GPA was not as good as it SHOULD have been, as I had one bad semester at the beginning of college. I had a couple extracurricular activities: Study abroad, Volunteering. However, again this was 9+ years ago, I am not sure how all of this would look. This really should have happened within at least 3 years from graduating college.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Indecision on Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pancakes3

Re: What are my chances? At 32 years old, Should I try to go to law-school. Please give me your honest feedback.

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:53 pm

The priority of considerations of whether or not to attend is:
- Why do you want to attend? Stuck in a deadend career is a decent reason, but law is just another deadend career, really. Why do you want to be a lawyer, and what makes you think pushing papers with an Esq. next to your name would be any better? If it's for a pay bump, are you biglaw or bust?
- LSAT score. What are you testing at? What can you achieve?

most everything else is irrelevant. your health, desired market, spouse/kids, etc. factor in some. your age is at the bottom of the list - don't think that you're too old to start.

haus

Re: What are my chances? At 32 years old, Should I try to go to law-school. Please give me your honest feedback.

Post by haus » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:06 pm

I agree with pancake, but then I may be biased because I did not start law school until I was in my 40s.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:24 pm

I'm a 36 year old 2L. My GPA in undergrad was substantially worse than yours (2.52). But I was able to rock the LSAT, and that's often enough to bring out some scholarship offers. I'm at Washington & Lee on a little over a 2/3 scholarship. If you've got the ability to get above a 170, you should see some substantial scholarship offers from decent regional schools.

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:41 pm

Stranger wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:24 pm
I'm a 36 year old 2L. My GPA in undergrad was substantially worse than yours (2.52). But I was able to rock the LSAT, and that's often enough to bring out some scholarship offers. I'm at Washington & Lee on a little over a 2/3 scholarship. If you've got the ability to get above a 170, you should see some substantial scholarship offers from decent regional schools.

That’s my thought process.

Can I ask you some personal questions?
How long did you consider law school before going? Are you married with kids? I worry about the latter a lot as I am single.

I feel rather embarrassed that I considered this off an on for several years but never took the next step.

haus

Post by haus » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:19 pm

I pondered law school for ~4 years before enrolling.

I am now, and was at the time that I seriously starting thinking about law school, married and with a child.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:53 am

Indecision wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:41 pm
Stranger wrote:

That’s my thought process.

Can I ask you some personal questions?
How long did you consider law school before going? Are you married with kids? I worry about the latter a lot as I am single.

I feel rather embarrassed that I considered this off an on for several years but never took the next step.
Law school was always sort of a back burner "if I go back to school, it would be for a law degree" thing. I don't know how much of that time you could say it was a serious consideration, but it took a pretty big life change to make up my mind to do it.

I'm married, no kids. I don't think you'd be taking that off the table at all with law school. Don't be embarrassed about taking a long time to make up your mind to take this step. There are serious advantages to being sure you want to do this and to having developed healthy adult habits about things like time management.

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:42 pm

Anyone else have any feedback?

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:47 pm

Is it too late to start studying?

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:02 pm

Too late to start studying for the LSAT or too late to go to law school? I'd say neither. If you genuinely want to be a lawyer and if you end up getting a good enough LSAT score to get into a top school OR get a full-ride to a strong regional school, then I'd go for it. There were plenty of people at NYU with me in their 30s.

For now, I would continue studying for the LSAT. Take all the time you need to study for it - even if you take a couple of years to study and don't enroll in law school until you're 35, you still won't be the oldest person there. If you can get a strong LSAT score (170+), that combined with your distance from undergrad means that schools will likely consider your LSAT score to be more indicative of your aptitude for law school than your decade-old GPA.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:03 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:02 pm
Too late to start studying for the LSAT or too late to go to law school? I'd say neither. If you genuinely want to be a lawyer and if you end up getting a good enough LSAT score to get into a top school OR get a full-ride to a strong regional school, then I'd go for it. There were plenty of people at NYU with me in their 30s.

For now, I would continue studying for the LSAT. Take all the time you need to study for it - even if you take a couple of years to study and don't enroll in law school until you're 35, you still won't be the oldest person there. If you can get a strong LSAT score (170+), that combined with your distance from undergrad means that schools will likely consider your LSAT score to be more indicative of your aptitude for law school than your decade-old GPA.
Co-signed. I started law school at 31 married with kids, graduating at 34 with Biglaw (hopefully) still secure in my desired location. Get the right LSAT, you’ll be in line for good outcomes.

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:55 pm

What does everyone use to study for the lsat? Power score bibles? Are courses worth it?

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:53 pm

Back in the day, I used the Manhattan Prep books and the Power Score Bibles. I also bought a ton of old tests so that I could do practice sections/full exams, but I think a lot may be available for free online. I agree with basically everything in here book-wise, although I never tried LSAT Trainer. https://nymag.com/strategist/article/be ... books.html

Courses can be worth it, but I might try to prep on your own first. Take a full timed test as a diagnostic - if it's 160 or above, then I honestly think you can learn this without a course. (And that is an arbitrary score I chose, but I think it's a good indication of how much of this you naturally get and how much you'll need a lot of help on.) For courses, I've heard great things about Power Score and Testmasters. I would avoid Kaplan and Princeton Review.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:56 pm

Also, check out our guide on LSL if you haven't already: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1097

I don't necessarily agree with everything in it (I wouldn't recommend automatically registering for the next available LSAT, for example) but I think 99% of it will really help you figure out how to study for the LSAT.

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:59 pm

Stranger wrote:

What did you do before you went to law school?

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:26 pm

Indecision wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:59 pm
Stranger wrote:

What did you do before you went to law school?
Most of that time I spent doing data entry at an insurance company. The last couple of years, I moved states with my wife, and we went off-grid. During that time, I did customer service at the DMV. Neither job was particularly glamorous, and frankly, both were mostly drudgery. I'd slowly built up to a half-decent salary at the insurance company, but hit a reset when we moved. That made the decision to go back to school easy.

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Mon May 04, 2020 2:45 pm

I guess my concern is that is do new graduates (late thirties) tend to get hired at biglaw firms? I’ve done research online and I could not a find one instance of this actually happening.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 04, 2020 2:47 pm

Yes, they do get hired at Biglaw firms with the right other credentials. I have classmates who started at Biglaw firms in their late 30s.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Mon May 04, 2020 6:55 pm

the standard biglaw credentials - school, GPA, passable interview

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 04, 2020 6:56 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:55 pm
the standard biglaw credentials - school, GPA, passable interview
And arguably past work experience can be a positive with the older applicant too.

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Fri May 22, 2020 2:16 am

Slytherpuff wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:02 pm

I’m still studying, however I have a feeling I will need more time.

A number of things happened in my personal life and I missed out on a of a number of weeks studying(family member sick). I don’t believe I will be read for the October exam on only 4 solid months.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri May 22, 2020 9:17 am

I think you might still be able to prep for the October exam in four months, but don't rush to take that exam. Study as much as you need to get above a 170, and it's fine if that means you aren't ready to take it in October. November is an option or anytime in 2021. https://www.lsac.org/lsat/lsat-dates-de ... lsat-dates

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Fri May 22, 2020 11:08 am

Is November generally too late for scholarship opportunities?

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri May 22, 2020 1:11 pm

I don't think so - I applied at the beginning of January and got decent $$ from a few schools. November LSAT would be fine unless things have changed (in the six years since I applied haha). So I'd see how your practice test scores are doing right before November, and if you are consistently scoring 170+ with real testing conditions, go ahead and apply that cycle. If you need more time, then I'd shoot for a spring 2021 LSAT and then you can spend the next few months preparing your application materials or studying for a retake, with the goal of submitting your application right when the submission process begins in fall 2021.