COVID-19 and KJD?

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
icedcoffee

COVID-19 and KJD?

Post by icedcoffee » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:19 pm

I was planning to take 20mo off instead of 8 before law (dec grad), but with the economy tanking, I'm starting to rethink this decision. Is it worth it to apply this upcoming cycle and plan to defer a year if I do become decently employed (enrolling if I can't)? Or is FT job experience/time out of college THAT important, either for admissions or personal growth? I am shooting for HYS or t13 $$$ and have the numbers for it.

pancakes3

Re: COVID-19 and KJD?

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:02 pm

to be clear, you're graduating Dec. 2020 and are weighing the benefits of applying to start Fall 2021 or 2022?

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:05 pm

I think it is that important for personal growth. Once you're on the law school train, it's a more loaded/complicated decision to get off. And depending on your goals and the trajectory of the economy, your opportunities for certain jobs as a lawyer may be more limited in the next 2-3 years as the economy recovers.

Being in law school, in other words, won't protect you from the chaos being wrought right now. It could exacerbate it, for example, if you end up with a high debt load and insufficient income to pay it off.

Safer play is to find any job at all and take things one day at a time.

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:09 pm

What is your undergrad degree in? If you really do have the numbers and your undergrad degree is unlikely to lead to any type of employment at all right now (I mean, restaurants aren't even hiring), I might consider applying to a couple places and seeing if you get a full ride or something. It might be worth it to start this fall depending on your current financial situation, how much debt you'd have to take on to attend, etc.

BlendedUnicorn
Hardening Democrat

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:43 pm

HelloYesThisIsDog wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:05 pm
I think it is that important for personal growth. Once you're on the law school train, it's a more loaded/complicated decision to get off. And depending on your goals and the trajectory of the economy, your opportunities for certain jobs as a lawyer may be more limited in the next 2-3 years as the economy recovers.

Being in law school, in other words, won't protect you from the chaos being wrought right now. It could exacerbate it, for example, if you end up with a high debt load and insufficient income to pay it off.

Safer play is to find any job at all and take things one day at a time.
This.

icedcoffee

Post by icedcoffee » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:17 am

Hi all, thank you for your responses so far. I am majoring in philosophy at a t30 school, so I'm not sure if my school will make up for my choice of major. I am mostly wondering if it is worth applying this cycle (c/o 2024) with the *plan* of deferring a year (to c/o 2025) but the *option* of matriculating earlier in case I am still unemployed. Will the year's difference in my application make any difference in the offers I get? I have a 3.9 and am scoring in the mid-170s on all of my practice exams. I've had a horrible time landing part-time jobs and internships even before the economy took a nosedive, so I guess I'm a bit pessimistic about my job prospects next year.

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:45 am

icedcoffee wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:17 am
Hi all, thank you for your responses so far. I am majoring in philosophy at a t30 school, so I'm not sure if my school will make up for my choice of major. I am mostly wondering if it is worth applying this cycle (c/o 2024) with the *plan* of deferring a year (to c/o 2025) but the *option* of matriculating earlier in case I am still unemployed. Will the year's difference in my application make any difference in the offers I get? I have a 3.9 and am scoring in the mid-170s on all of my practice exams. I've had a horrible time landing part-time jobs and internships even before the economy took a nosedive, so I guess I'm a bit pessimistic about my job prospects next year.
This is a reasonable plan. Focus on keeping your GPA above that 3.9 mark and push on the LSAT this summer, and your worst-case scenario will be pretty good: attending a T14 law school at a steep discount after college. If you get a great job opportunity, you can of course take it and ask for a two-year deferral, or even just withdraw your LS apps and re-apply when the time comes.

haus

Post by haus » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:03 pm

icechicken wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:45 am
icedcoffee wrote:
This is a reasonable plan. Focus on keeping your GPA above that 3.9 mark and push on the LSAT this summer, and your worst-case scenario will be pretty good: attending a T14 law school at a steep discount after college. If you get a great job opportunity, you can of course take it and ask for a two-year deferral, or even just withdraw your LS apps and re-apply when the time comes.
What are the odds that there will be in LSAT this summer?

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:55 pm

haus wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:03 pm
icechicken wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:45 am
icedcoffee wrote:
What are the odds that there will be in LSAT this summer?
Fair lol. I think April's definitely out, but hopefully things will be put back together for September.