COVID-19 and KJD?

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
icedcoffee

COVID-19 and KJD?

Post by icedcoffee » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:19 pm

I was planning to take 20mo off instead of 8 before law (dec grad), but with the economy tanking, I'm starting to rethink this decision. Is it worth it to apply this upcoming cycle and plan to defer a year if I do become decently employed (enrolling if I can't)? Or is FT job experience/time out of college THAT important, either for admissions or personal growth? I am shooting for HYS or t13 $$$ and have the numbers for it.

pancakes3

Re: COVID-19 and KJD?

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:02 pm

to be clear, you're graduating Dec. 2020 and are weighing the benefits of applying to start Fall 2021 or 2022?

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:05 pm

I think it is that important for personal growth. Once you're on the law school train, it's a more loaded/complicated decision to get off. And depending on your goals and the trajectory of the economy, your opportunities for certain jobs as a lawyer may be more limited in the next 2-3 years as the economy recovers.

Being in law school, in other words, won't protect you from the chaos being wrought right now. It could exacerbate it, for example, if you end up with a high debt load and insufficient income to pay it off.

Safer play is to find any job at all and take things one day at a time.

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:09 pm

What is your undergrad degree in? If you really do have the numbers and your undergrad degree is unlikely to lead to any type of employment at all right now (I mean, restaurants aren't even hiring), I might consider applying to a couple places and seeing if you get a full ride or something. It might be worth it to start this fall depending on your current financial situation, how much debt you'd have to take on to attend, etc.