Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
MikeSpivey

Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by MikeSpivey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:13 am

I kept the same name of the old thread because change scares me.

Nony

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by Nony » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:14 am

Welcome! <showers Spivey with confetti>

smaug

Post by smaug » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Thank you for joining us, Mr. Spivey!

MikeSpivey

Post by MikeSpivey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 am

Working on others. And maybe an interview with Dean Zearfoss at Michigan Law how would that go for everyone?

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:28 am

Viva revolution!

MikeSpivey

Post by MikeSpivey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:54 am

Here some data we've never had or seen presented before for the last 3 cycles:

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/applic ... omparison/

blueapple

Post by blueapple » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:07 am

Hey Spivey! Thanks for legitimizing our revolution!

Walliums

Post by Walliums » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:24 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 am
Working on others. And maybe an interview with Dean Zearfoss at Michigan Law how would that go for everyone?
Dean Z! Can you also get Admissions Cat to participate?

MikeSpivey

Post by MikeSpivey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:36 am

blueapple wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:07 am
Revolutions are hard to pull off. So we all need to stay committed.

North

Post by North » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:29 am

Oh damn Spivey is on board yesssssss

kippercd

Post by kippercd » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:30 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:36 am
blueapple wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:07 am
Revolutions are hard to pull off. So we all need to stay committed.
committed but resistant to change? :p

xylocarp

Post by xylocarp » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:34 am

Tag

Rowdy

Post by Rowdy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 am
I think the more important question is: how would that go for Dean Z?

Experiment626

Post by Experiment626 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:22 am

Nony wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:14 am

Nony, now that things are getting a little more organized, would this thread be better off in the Other Pre-L Questions forum? Since all the applicant threads are being converted over here and the level of activity we usually see, there's a high chance this very important resource thread could get kicked out of view fairly quickly. Or I enthusiastically request a sticky for Spivey's thread of knowledge.

Rowdy

Post by Rowdy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:30 am

Experiment626 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:22 am
Nony wrote:

Nony, now that things are getting a little more organized, would this thread be better off in the Other Pre-L Questions forum? Since all the applicant threads are being converted over here and the level of activity we usually see, there's a high chance this very important resource thread could get kicked out of view fairly quickly. Or I enthusiastically request a sticky for Spivey's thread of knowledge.
It appears to be done

dino

Post by dino » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:02 pm

Already admitted into my top choice T14 but it's nice to see you come over here!

par283

Post by par283 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:14 pm

Spivey: Any idea what percentage of the overall offers Vanderbilt has made yet? It seems like a lot of us have been on complete for a long time without any movement.

Thank you for your help!

Kümmel

Post by Kümmel » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:15 pm

Even spivey isn't a scab. i feel the tides turning

haus

Post by haus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:42 pm

Nony wrote:
:D

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:15 pm

So, I heard on Facebook, and also saw reported on Reddit, that Duquesne Law emailed all the students at a particular school who were registered with LSAC a marketing email with a spreadsheet attached including each of their names, scores, and social security numbers (among other details).

I've looked over LSAC's description of what CRS includes, and while they list "biographical data", it feels like quite a stretch from there to social security numbers. When you were an admissions Dean, did CRS include potential applicants' social security numbers? Is there any conceivable reason for LSAC to be slinging those around when they already issue us each a unique registration number?

MikeSpivey

Post by MikeSpivey » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:06 pm

Stranger wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:15 pm
So, I heard on Facebook, and also saw reported on Reddit, that Duquesne Law emailed all the students at a particular school who were registered with LSAC a marketing email with a spreadsheet attached including each of their names, scores, and social security numbers (among other details).

I've looked over LSAC's description of what CRS includes, and while they list "biographical data", it feels like quite a stretch from there to social security numbers. When you were an admissions Dean, did CRS include potential applicants' social security numbers? Is there any conceivable reason for LSAC to be slinging those around when they already issue us each a unique registration number?
I was surprised to hear as well that SS# were in the spreadsheet that was allegedly disseminated. From my experience at multiple schools we always used LSAC #'s on bar codes, spreadsheets. etc.My guess is either (1) the sheet actually had LSAC#'s but people are erroneously reporting SS# (2) the school really really really messed up.

Every year there is some school that does something like sends an admit email to all denials. But if true, this screw up is bigger than any I have ever heard of. That said, it doesn't sound like an LSAC CRS issue but a school issue.
Last edited by MikeSpivey on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

riprendere

Post by riprendere » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:29 pm

fify
MikeSpivey wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:06 pm
erroneously reporting SS# (2) the school REALLY REALLY REALLY messed up.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:23 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Stranger wrote:

I was surprised to hear as well that SS# were in the spreadsheet that was allegedly disseminated. From my experience at multiple schools we always used LSAC #'s on bar codes, spreadsheets. etc.My guess is either (1) they sheet actually had LSAC#'s but people are erroneously reporting SS# (2) the school really really really messed up.

Every year there is some school that does something like sends an admit email to all denials. But if true, this screw up is bigger than any I have ever heard of. That said, it doesn't sound like an LSAC CRS issue but a school issue.
The folks reporting it don't appear to be Duquesne students - if it is SSNs (and I've seen it reported that Duquesne offered credit protection to those exposed), how would Duquesne have them if not through LSAC?

MindyKale

Post by MindyKale » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:31 am

Hi Mr. Spivey,
Thank you for doing this. I have posted this earlier but I am hoping you could have some valuable information to share.

I have about 1 year before I apply to law school and I was wondering if there is anything I can do apart from LSAT and GPA towards boosting my application.

I will be applying as an International Student from a third world country.

I am a STEM major with 2 years of work experience in the STEM field. (Employer is regional-i.e. Not Google, Morgan Stanley level). I have a master's degree in the STEM field. (From the United States, mediocre university, but good GPA.)

I have had either scholarships or held part time jobs throughout the course of my Master's degree..i.e. most of it was self funded.

I have been co-running a non-profit organization(local-small town) educating children in the third world country I am from.

Given all this, I am currently taking some time off before I apply to law school--I do not have a GPA because I am an international student and my LSAT PTs are ranging between 165-170. I am targeting 170+

What can I do other than boosting my LSAT score to strengthen my application?

Ideally my goal is everyone else's goal. T14 or bust. Additionally since I have 0 money and come from a poor country, T14 with scholarship or bust. (Is this feasible?)

Bolded text hoping to making your job easier.

MikeSpivey

Post by MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:28 pm

Stranger wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:23 pm
MikeSpivey wrote:
Stranger wrote:

I was surprised to hear as well that SS# were in the spreadsheet that was allegedly disseminated. From my experience at multiple schools we always used LSAC #'s on bar codes, spreadsheets. etc.My guess is either (1) they sheet actually had LSAC#'s but people are erroneously reporting SS# (2) the school really really really messed up.

The folks reporting it don't appear to be Duquesne students - if it is SSNs (and I've seen it reported that Duquesne offered credit protection to those exposed), how would Duquesne have them if not through LSAC?
Well all schools get their apps by going through LSAC. My point is the error in dissemination would much more likely be on the schools end and not that of LSAC. Put another way, I've seen errors of this ilk (mass email with errors in them or data or false admits) almost every year of my career, although not this severe, and they have never ben on LSACs end but rather that of the school.