Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
Post Reply
User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:00 am

Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by MikeSpivey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:13 am

I kept the same name of the old thread because change scares me.

User avatar
Nony
Posts: 4240
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by Nony » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:14 am

Welcome! <showers Spivey with confetti>

User avatar
smaug
Posts: 1464
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by smaug » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Thank you for joining us, Mr. Spivey!

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:00 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by MikeSpivey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 am

Working on others. And maybe an interview with Dean Zearfoss at Michigan Law how would that go for everyone?

User avatar
UVA2B
Moderator
Posts: 3023
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by UVA2B » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:28 am

Viva revolution!

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:00 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by MikeSpivey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:54 am

Here some data we've never had or seen presented before for the last 3 cycles:

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/applic ... omparison/

User avatar
blueapple
Posts: 1208
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:51 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by blueapple » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:07 am

Hey Spivey! Thanks for legitimizing our revolution!

User avatar
Walliums
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:16 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by Walliums » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:24 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 am
Working on others. And maybe an interview with Dean Zearfoss at Michigan Law how would that go for everyone?
Dean Z! Can you also get Admissions Cat to participate?

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:00 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by MikeSpivey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:36 am

blueapple wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:07 am
Hey Spivey! Thanks for legitimizing our revolution!
Revolutions are hard to pull off. So we all need to stay committed.

User avatar
North
Posts: 1401
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by North » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:29 am

Oh damn Spivey is on board yesssssss

kippercd
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:49 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by kippercd » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:30 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:36 am
blueapple wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:07 am
Hey Spivey! Thanks for legitimizing our revolution!
Revolutions are hard to pull off. So we all need to stay committed.
committed but resistant to change? :p

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:28 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by xylocarp » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:34 am

Tag

User avatar
Rowdy
Posts: 2925
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:14 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by Rowdy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 am
Working on others. And maybe an interview with Dean Zearfoss at Michigan Law how would that go for everyone?
I think the more important question is: how would that go for Dean Z?

User avatar
Experiment626
Moderator
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:58 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by Experiment626 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:22 am

Nony wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:14 am
Welcome! <showers Spivey with confetti>

Nony, now that things are getting a little more organized, would this thread be better off in the Other Pre-L Questions forum? Since all the applicant threads are being converted over here and the level of activity we usually see, there's a high chance this very important resource thread could get kicked out of view fairly quickly. Or I enthusiastically request a sticky for Spivey's thread of knowledge.

User avatar
Rowdy
Posts: 2925
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:14 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by Rowdy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:30 am

Experiment626 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:22 am
Nony wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:14 am
Welcome! <showers Spivey with confetti>

Nony, now that things are getting a little more organized, would this thread be better off in the Other Pre-L Questions forum? Since all the applicant threads are being converted over here and the level of activity we usually see, there's a high chance this very important resource thread could get kicked out of view fairly quickly. Or I enthusiastically request a sticky for Spivey's thread of knowledge.
It appears to be done

User avatar
dino
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:47 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by dino » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:02 pm

Already admitted into my top choice T14 but it's nice to see you come over here!

User avatar
par283
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:25 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by par283 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:14 pm

Spivey: Any idea what percentage of the overall offers Vanderbilt has made yet? It seems like a lot of us have been on complete for a long time without any movement.

Thank you for your help!

User avatar
Kümmel
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by Kümmel » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:15 pm

Even spivey isn't a scab. i feel the tides turning

User avatar
haus
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:35 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by haus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:42 pm

Nony wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:14 am
Welcome! <showers Spivey with confetti>
:D

User avatar
Stranger
Posts: 2183
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by Stranger » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:15 pm

So, I heard on Facebook, and also saw reported on Reddit, that Duquesne Law emailed all the students at a particular school who were registered with LSAC a marketing email with a spreadsheet attached including each of their names, scores, and social security numbers (among other details).

I've looked over LSAC's description of what CRS includes, and while they list "biographical data", it feels like quite a stretch from there to social security numbers. When you were an admissions Dean, did CRS include potential applicants' social security numbers? Is there any conceivable reason for LSAC to be slinging those around when they already issue us each a unique registration number?

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:00 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by MikeSpivey » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:06 pm

Stranger wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:15 pm
So, I heard on Facebook, and also saw reported on Reddit, that Duquesne Law emailed all the students at a particular school who were registered with LSAC a marketing email with a spreadsheet attached including each of their names, scores, and social security numbers (among other details).

I've looked over LSAC's description of what CRS includes, and while they list "biographical data", it feels like quite a stretch from there to social security numbers. When you were an admissions Dean, did CRS include potential applicants' social security numbers? Is there any conceivable reason for LSAC to be slinging those around when they already issue us each a unique registration number?
I was surprised to hear as well that SS# were in the spreadsheet that was allegedly disseminated. From my experience at multiple schools we always used LSAC #'s on bar codes, spreadsheets. etc.My guess is either (1) the sheet actually had LSAC#'s but people are erroneously reporting SS# (2) the school really really really messed up.

Every year there is some school that does something like sends an admit email to all denials. But if true, this screw up is bigger than any I have ever heard of. That said, it doesn't sound like an LSAC CRS issue but a school issue.
Last edited by MikeSpivey on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
riprendere
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:24 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by riprendere » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:29 pm

fify
MikeSpivey wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:06 pm
erroneously reporting SS# (2) the school REALLY REALLY REALLY messed up.

User avatar
Stranger
Posts: 2183
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by Stranger » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:23 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:06 pm
Stranger wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:15 pm
So, I heard on Facebook, and also saw reported on Reddit, that Duquesne Law emailed all the students at a particular school who were registered with LSAC a marketing email with a spreadsheet attached including each of their names, scores, and social security numbers (among other details).

I've looked over LSAC's description of what CRS includes, and while they list "biographical data", it feels like quite a stretch from there to social security numbers. When you were an admissions Dean, did CRS include potential applicants' social security numbers? Is there any conceivable reason for LSAC to be slinging those around when they already issue us each a unique registration number?
I was surprised to hear as well that SS# were in the spreadsheet that was allegedly disseminated. From my experience at multiple schools we always used LSAC #'s on bar codes, spreadsheets. etc.My guess is either (1) they sheet actually had LSAC#'s but people are erroneously reporting SS# (2) the school really really really messed up.

Every year there is some school that does something like sends an admit email to all denials. But if true, this screw up is bigger than any I have ever heard of. That said, it doesn't sound like an LSAC CRS issue but a school issue.
The folks reporting it don't appear to be Duquesne students - if it is SSNs (and I've seen it reported that Duquesne offered credit protection to those exposed), how would Duquesne have them if not through LSAC?

MindyKale
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:10 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by MindyKale » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:31 am

Hi Mr. Spivey,
Thank you for doing this. I have posted this earlier but I am hoping you could have some valuable information to share.


I have about 1 year before I apply to law school and I was wondering if there is anything I can do apart from LSAT and GPA towards boosting my application.

I will be applying as an International Student from a third world country.

I am a STEM major with 2 years of work experience in the STEM field. (Employer is regional-i.e. Not Google, Morgan Stanley level). I have a master's degree in the STEM field. (From the United States, mediocre university, but good GPA.)

I have had either scholarships or held part time jobs throughout the course of my Master's degree..i.e. most of it was self funded.

I have been co-running a non-profit organization(local-small town) educating children in the third world country I am from.

Given all this, I am currently taking some time off before I apply to law school--I do not have a GPA because I am an international student and my LSAT PTs are ranging between 165-170. I am targeting 170+

What can I do other than boosting my LSAT score to strengthen my application?

Ideally my goal is everyone else's goal. T14 or bust. Additionally since I have 0 money and come from a poor country, T14 with scholarship or bust. (Is this feasible?)

Bolded text hoping to making your job easier.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:00 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Post by MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:28 pm

Stranger wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:23 pm
MikeSpivey wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:06 pm
Stranger wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:15 pm
So, I heard on Facebook, and also saw reported on Reddit, that Duquesne Law emailed all the students at a particular school who were registered with LSAC a marketing email with a spreadsheet attached including each of their names, scores, and social security numbers (among other details).

I've looked over LSAC's description of what CRS includes, and while they list "biographical data", it feels like quite a stretch from there to social security numbers. When you were an admissions Dean, did CRS include potential applicants' social security numbers? Is there any conceivable reason for LSAC to be slinging those around when they already issue us each a unique registration number?
I was surprised to hear as well that SS# were in the spreadsheet that was allegedly disseminated. From my experience at multiple schools we always used LSAC #'s on bar codes, spreadsheets. etc.My guess is either (1) they sheet actually had LSAC#'s but people are erroneously reporting SS# (2) the school really really really messed up.

Every year there is some school that does something like sends an admit email to all denials. But if true, this screw up is bigger than any I have ever heard of. That said, it doesn't sound like an LSAC CRS issue but a school issue.
The folks reporting it don't appear to be Duquesne students - if it is SSNs (and I've seen it reported that Duquesne offered credit protection to those exposed), how would Duquesne have them if not through LSAC?
Well all schools get their apps by going through LSAC. My point is the error in dissemination would much more likely be on the schools end and not that of LSAC. Put another way, I've seen errors of this ilk (mass email with errors in them or data or false admits) almost every year of my career, although not this severe, and they have never ben on LSACs end but rather that of the school.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest