LSL Veterans Thread

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
User avatar
LSNlife
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:35 am

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by LSNlife » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:13 pm

I’m honestly shocked. Mot of the schools I applied to specifically asked and made the distinction and I only paid attention because I’m also not eligible for the GI Bill so it was pretty key in my decision-making process. I’m glad to hear you got such favorable and understanding responses although I second your disappointment in the first school. It’s irritating that they made such a significant financial decision without explaining in the award or at least asking for additional information before rendering that decision.

mstng9878
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:28 am

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by mstng9878 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:33 am

deleted due to lack of interest
Last edited by mstng9878 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

splitasticvet
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:34 am

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by splitasticvet » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:10 pm

AD here. I just arrived in Germany from Turkey. I'll be here for two years, but trying to extend for 8 months to make it 2 years and 8 months without reenlisting. I'll know this fall if I am approved to stay through summer of 2021. If you care to know why, just ask. I'm 50% complete with my MBA - six more classes to go. I was supposed to take the LSAT in October 2018, then pushed it to March 2019. I ultimately decided to withdraw because I am not prepared.

For my folks that entered law school right after active duty (less than 1 year after separation) and your sole reason for separating was to go to law school, you mind sharing your timeline (to include anything you wanted to wrap up before leaving AD) and what you did to prepare? I'd just like some insight on your stories and some feedback (good or bad) on mine. You all are the only one that I can talk to that understands the process of studying and applying to law school while being a military member. I'll share my timeline below. I do know that the 2019-2020 LSAT Dates for Europe are not yet released though they are more than likely going to mirror the US Dates. For informational purposes for anyone that might come across this thread in the future, my plan is to test @ the Fulbright Commission in Czech or in London @ Ironmongers' Hall as the administration language is English.

January - May 2019
Testing for promotion (I'm actually giving it a go this time) and taking two MBA classes

June 2019 - October 2019
Strictly LSAT Studying

October 2019 - December 2019
1 MBA Course with LSAT Review

January 2020
Sit for this administration

January 2020 - March 2020
1 MBA Course w/additional LSAT preparation if I find that I don't want my January 2020 score. If I decided to retest, I would not take the MBA course

March 2020 or April 2020
Sit for either of these LSAT administrations if I find that I don't want my January 2020 score

May 2020 - August 2020
2 MBA courses

August 2020 - December 2020
Prepare JD Applications for Fall 2021 Matriculation

Let me know what you all think.

CMac86
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:11 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by CMac86 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:33 pm

splitasticvet wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:10 pm
AD here. I just arrived in Germany from Turkey. I'll be here for two years, but trying to extend for 8 months to make it 2 years and 8 months without reenlisting. I'll know this fall if I am approved to stay through summer of 2021. If you care to know why, just ask. I'm 50% complete with my MBA - six more classes to go. I was supposed to take the LSAT in October 2018, then pushed it to March 2019. I ultimately decided to withdraw because I am not prepared.

For my folks that entered law school right after active duty (less than 1 year after separation) and your sole reason for separating was to go to law school, you mind sharing your timeline (to include anything you wanted to wrap up before leaving AD) and what you did to prepare? I'd just like some insight on your stories and some feedback (good or bad) on mine. You all are the only one that I can talk to that understands the process of studying and applying to law school while being a military member. I'll share my timeline below. I do know that the 2019-2020 LSAT Dates for Europe are not yet released though they are more than likely going to mirror the US Dates. For informational purposes for anyone that might come across this thread in the future, my plan is to test @ the Fulbright Commission in Czech or in London @ Ironmongers' Hall as the administration language is English.
I'm in this process now. I'm set to matriculate this coming fall.

My timeline (since I needed to work around my work schedule): LSAT Feb 2017, started essays January 2018 (summer-fall is the busy time at my job), finished/decided that my essays were finalized end of August 2018. I started getting LOR's in winter 2017 as well. Submitted applications to most of my schools within a week of them opening. I got accepted to my top choice in November 2018. I start terminal leave mid July 2019, EAOS end of July 2019, move back to the Midwest on/about August 1st, orientation starts mid-August.

I knew that I needed to work ahead on my application prep and school visits-so that is why I did the bulk of it in January as opposed to waiting until the spring. Once March hits, my job gets busy. I am thankful that I did the legwork so that when applications opened, I could just submit them.

Things that I wanted to wrap up: I wanted to bank enough money and pay down enough debt that if the VA is late with BAH, I'll be AOK. I'm on track to have 2-3 months of living expenses saved up. I also wanted to get enough consumer debt paid off that between BAH and the lowest anticipated disability rating, that I would at least equal what I am netting now (after all expenses-including consumer debt). I'm on track for those goals.

What I wish I would have done: I wish I would have started planning this earlier. I forgot that my undergrad loans would be coming out of deferment/forbearance this past October. So, that made a sizable dent in the amount I'm able to save each month. It takes my anticipated buffer from $10-12k to $6-7k. Another thing is that I wish I would have had more time between EAOS and school starting. Since my EAOS is in the busy season, I have a concern that I will not be able to get my household goods delivered with enough time before orientation to get my place completely setup and settled.

ajordan
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by ajordan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:26 pm

My timeline was almost identical to CMac. I think three years prior to matriculation is a good time to start studying for the LSAT as you just don't know how long it's going to take to get the score you want. I started September of 16 studying and I took Feb 17 test as my first go. I got the score I wanted but if I hadn't gotten it I was going to have to wait until June to retest and probably later as the summer is my busy season. Now that there are more administrations and no limit on takes you can probably start later. Still, your goal should be to have everything ready to go on September 1st of your application cycle. Classes are empty the day apps open. The longer you wait to submit, the fewer seats there are. I hired a reputable admissions consultant and though it cost a month's pay I feel like it was worth it. ymmv.

There's usually an administration in Munich. That's where I took it. It was a wonderful facility with good proctors and it's easier/cheaper to get to than either of your stated options. Keep checking for site change possibilities. In reality, I would've asked LSAC about setting up a test administration center in my local area if I had the option to do it again. I think it was a few hundred bucks extra, but I ate that on my train ticket/Airbnb/food in Munich. My wife and I made a long weekend out of it so it turned out fine, but still.

As far as expenses, I have a year of COL saved in liquid investments (these last six months have been brutal, though) and I anticipate needing just about all of it. I calculated my expenses in Virginia to be about $3,000/month for my spouse and me (Health, car, renters insurance/car payment leftover/rent/utilities/food/leisure) and the GI Bill is only covering about half of that. My wife is going to have to work, but I don't want her to feel hectic to take the first available job she can get. I'm also going to take full COL loans for the first year. That, I estimate, puts me at about $40k personal and $20k loans to navigate the entirety of moving on August 1st until OCI the following August. I probably won't need much, if any, of those loans, but I'm not willing to take that risk worrying about securing emergency financing during 1L. If you're single, you can do it much, MUCH cheaper.

The biggest thing, for me, is making sure that from September - May I am worried about nothing other than trying to get the best possible GPA I can get so that I close the fewest doors on employment opportunities. I'm not leaving the military after a decade to make significantly less money than I already do in a similarly stressful environment.

User avatar
Van_Houten
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:13 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by Van_Houten » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:03 pm

Does anyone have experience with negotiating scholarship money into cost of living expenses? For those being covered fully bi GI Bill

User avatar
dcc617
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by dcc617 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Van_Houten wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:03 pm
Does anyone have experience with negotiating scholarship money into cost of living expenses? For those being covered fully bi GI Bill
Chicago won’t. Berkeley allegedly will. I think UT may. You have to ask the schools.

Mon Viller
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by Mon Viller » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:13 am

Van_Houten wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:03 pm
Does anyone have experience with negotiating scholarship money into cost of living expenses? For those being covered fully bi GI Bill
It seems common practice for the public schools, since the Post 9/11 already covers everything for them. There isn't much negotiation necessary; just ask. For private schools, it seems a bit more hit and miss since they are already putting down $20-25k a year for the Yellow Ribbon Program. Personally, I've been bringing in the veteran coordinator and posing it more as a logistical question than a negotiating tactic. For one, that is what it is, and two, it seems less adversarial. That's just my approach, though.
Last edited by Mon Viller on Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Van_Houten
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:13 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by Van_Houten » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:00 pm

Mon Viller wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:13 am
Van_Houten wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:03 pm
Does anyone have experience with negotiating scholarship money into cost of living expenses? For those being covered fully bi GI Bill
It seems common practice for the public schools, since the Post 9/11 already covers everything for them. There isn't much negotiation necessary; just ask. For private schools, it seems a bit more hit and miss since they are already putting down $20-25k for the Yellow Ribbon Program. Personally, I've been bringing in the veteran coordinator and posing it more as a logistical question than a negotiating tactic. For one, that is what it is, and two, it seems less adversarial. That's just my approach, though.
I've never thought about it like that but yeah I'm looking at private, who's already footing the rest of the bill with YRP so may seem like a big ask, but I'll contact the vet coordinator. Thanks!

ajordan
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by ajordan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:50 am

It wouldn't hurt to come to the negotiation with some ammunition. Have you tried getting stipend aid from one of your school's competitive public counterparts?

Also, I tried knocking the door of getting health insurance covered as a mandatory fee and got an emphatic "no".

ajordan
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by ajordan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:52 am

Re-posting since it's been a few months but I'll do a free LSAT session with any AD/vet who is looking for some advice.

User avatar
dcc617
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by dcc617 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:15 am

ajordan wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:50 am
It wouldn't hurt to come to the negotiation with some ammunition. Have you tried getting stipend aid from one of your school's competitive public counterparts?

Also, I tried knocking the door of getting health insurance covered as a mandatory fee and got an emphatic "no".
The VA definitely covers required health insurance. I get my school’s insurance under the GI Bill.

Mon Viller
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: LSL Veterans Thread

Post by Mon Viller » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:05 pm

Hey I was doing some research on Penn and it looks like their YRP contribution is actually $23,082, which I think closes the gap on MT Cicero's spreadsheet. That officially makes every T14 school free, correct? Here's where I was looking btw: https://www.registrar.upenn.edu/veterans/index.html.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests