Long-time users: please note that the prosilver and Allanstyle-subsilver styles will be phased out in the coming months due to upcoming site update incompatibilities. If you use either style, you can change back to the default proflat style at any time in your User Control Panel, or simply wait for the update to do so automatically. Thanks for your patience, and apologies to any folks who prefer the old look.

Will Submitting a Subpar Scholarship Essay Hurt My Application?

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
kchopz

Will Submitting a Subpar Scholarship Essay Hurt My Application?

Post by kchopz » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:28 pm

I was planning on applying for some public interest scholarships, because I am genuinely interested in both working to further the public interest and saving money. But, as I started writing my essays, I realized that my chances of getting a public interest scholarship might not be great, because I don't think my essays will be that great. My main question is: if I submit a scholarship essay that's not as good as the rest of my application, will it reflect poorly on me as an applicant and diminish the chances that I get in and/or get any other kind of financial aid? Or will they look at the scholarship application as a separate matter?

As way of explanation, the problems I'm facing with my scholarship essay are due to the following 3 main reasons:
1. My summer internships in college were PI-related and I've done a fair amount of volunteering and continue to volunteer, but the job I'm in now (I graduated from undergrad in 2017) isn't PI-related. Makes it harder to make a case when your only real full-time job is not PI-related.
2. Most of my volunteering and some of my internships have been in a related field, but not all of it has been, which makes it harder to write a cohesive essay about my specific background in PI stuff.
3. The related field I've worked/volunteered in is in youth mentoring, and I don't really feel that interested in juvenile law or anything like that, so even if I were to try to write an essay about my specific background, it wouldn't really work for the type of law I'm interested in.

Any suggestions/comments/ideas? Thanks in advance!!

cavalier1138

Re: Will Submitting a Subpar Scholarship Essay Hurt My Application?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:47 pm

It may vary by school, but my understanding is that scholarship essays are usually not reviewed by the admissions committee.