Worried about my backround??

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
jimbob5678

Worried about my backround??

Post by jimbob5678 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:13 pm

** Please don't quote
I have no criminal record, and this fully includes never being arrested or ever charged with any crime.
However, Im starting to become a bit worried. My application essentially ask if I been accused of any crime, taken into custody, detained, charged, cussed and so on and so forth. I've never spent a second in a police station, arrested or charged with anything and I am currently 33 years old(Old man going to law school, I know, I know)

However, when I was between the ages of 18-20 I was trespassed for shoplifting less than five dollars from local store (yes the police did show up and told me i was an idiot and to go away). And I was a group of friends and were stopped by the local police for throwing toilet paper randomly and indiscriminately around. Again nothing more than questioning and being lectured.

I know I was too old to be acting like a pre teen, but, Now that I have to disclose these, should I be concerned about this affecting my admission into law school? Other than traffic tickets, these are my only background problems, but i'm a bit afraid since its not just one event, its two. Should I be concerned about this affecting my admissions?
Last edited by jimbob5678 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ymmv

Re: Worried about my backround??

Post by ymmv » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:23 pm

I don’t remember any applications asking for disclosure of anything less than arrests and/or convictions. But whatever you do disclose, just be sure to emphasize how much you’ve learned and grown since the experience and odds are are you’ll be fine.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:37 am

Neither of the incidents you described are responsive to the questions on applications.

Make sure you're reading the actual wording and not inferring the general meaning you think the application has. I highly doubt any school has asked you disclose whether you have ever been "accused" of a crime. So what are the exact words used on the app?

jimbob5678

Post by jimbob5678 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:30 am

It specifically ask if I’ve ever been accused formally or informally of a crime or violation of a ordinance , arrested, charged, taken into custody, detained or restrained.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:32 am

jimbob5678 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:30 am
It specifically ask if I’ve ever been accused formally or informally of a crime or violation of a ordinance , arrested, charged, taken into custody, detained or restrained.
Can you screenshot and share the actual question?

jimbob5678

Post by jimbob5678 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:10 am

“Have you ever been arrested, detained, or restrained; taken into custody; or accused formally or informally of a violation of law or ordinance?
-You should disclose each instance even though the charges may have been dismissed, or you were acquitted, or adjudication was withheld, or a conviction was reversed, set aside, or vacated.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:45 pm

jimbob5678 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:10 am
“Have you ever been arrested, detained, or restrained; taken into custody; or accused formally or informally of a violation of law or ordinance?
-You should disclose each instance even though the charges may have been dismissed, or you were acquitted, or adjudication was withheld, or a conviction was reversed, set aside, or vacated.
Based on that wording, I'd say the shoplifting incident you describe might be worth reporting (even though it sounds like there's no record of it ever happening). The random "stop being dumb kids" lecture on the street definitely doesn't qualify.

Frankly, the wording of the application is confusing. I have no idea what it means to be "informally" accused of violating the law (what if my neighbor yells at me for double-parking?). I'd just err on the side of reporting things that actually led to some level of actual investigation/proceeding.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:21 am

What a TTT fucking question. I would not report either incident because it's ambiguous what "formally or informally accused" means.

Just remember that the bar will ask the same type of question, so whatever you report on your law school application, you should also report to the bar when applying for admission. Below is the corresponding question from the Illinois bar character and fitness questionnaire:
During the last 25 years, have you been formally or informally detained, restrained, cited, summoned into court, taken into custody, arrested, accused, charged, convicted, placed on probation, placed on supervision, or forfeited collateral in connection with any offense against the law or an ordinance, or accused of committing a delinquent act, other than traffic offenses set forth in response to question 47 and as set forth in your Driving Record provided under question 48.

jimbob5678

Post by jimbob5678 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:01 pm

What does TTT mean?

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:47 pm

jimbob5678 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:01 pm
What does TTT mean?
Third Tier Toilet. Law schools that maybe shouldn't be law schools, mostly.

jimbob5678

Post by jimbob5678 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:47 pm

Hahah

jimbob5678

Post by jimbob5678 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:49 pm

Why would shitty law schools ask more invasive questions than more reputable programs?

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:01 am

scoliosis thread?