Yale and Stanford - shoot my shot?

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
thelawsklkidd

Yale and Stanford - shoot my shot?

Post by thelawsklkidd » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:48 pm

So I understand the general notion that I’m in a competitive spot for the general t14, but wondering what you all may think my chances are for HYS? I know softs matter a lot for Yale and Stanford, and think I may have a compelling background.

Stats: 3.8+/166 AA male KJD
Softs:
- spent a summer at fortune 50 legal headquarters in New York.
- Researcher for 6 months under guidance of PhD candidate (did a “substantial” 20pg+ piece of independent research).
- Student educator, advocate and resource for queer students on campus.
- coached a high school varsity sports team for first two years of college
-lived in Middle East during uprising (all of middle school) and then all of south east Asia in HS before coming back stateside for college

I’m wondering if I’m even competitive at my current numbers. Don’t think I’m maxed out on LSAT as I practice much higher, but also not confident I can do significantly better on actual test day. I’m aiming to graduate with a 3.85 or higher.

Rowdy

Re: Yale and Stanford - shoot my shot?

Post by Rowdy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:16 pm

If you practice much higher you can perform much higher. No difference between practice and test day (unless you're doing something dumb like not timing yourself). I'm not up on chances for your stats but retake for sure.

dcc617

Post by dcc617 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:33 pm

You get infinite retakes and schools only care about your highest. You may be good for your goals, but even a few more points could be huge for outcomes. I wouldn’t leave points on the board.

necho2

Post by necho2 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:38 pm

As a non-AA URM if you get that score into the high 160s or above you'd be extremely competitive there. I would not call those softs needle-moving at the HYS level, but if you retake and do a bit better, you won't really need to worry about that at all!

Nony

Post by Nony » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:31 pm

necho2 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:38 pm
As a non-AA URM
???

thelawsklkidd

Post by thelawsklkidd » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:48 pm

Non-African American URM ^

Nony

Post by Nony » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:53 pm

Right, but didn't you say in your OP that you're an AA URM? So I wondered why necho2 was talking about non-AA.

necho2

Post by necho2 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:07 pm

Because isn't there arguably a somewhat larger boost for AA URMs? I'm more familiar with non-AA URM personally so felt more comfortable caveating my statement with that, but definitely a confusing way to put it. Point is just that 166--> upper 160s locks in a much much more solid chance, and those softs won't move the needle.

thelawsklkidd

Post by thelawsklkidd » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:18 pm

Well it’s fairly obvious that a higher score would increase my chances...I’m mostly wondering what my chances *at current* looked like.

Nony

Post by Nony » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:08 pm

necho2 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:07 pm
Because isn't there arguably a somewhat larger boost for AA URMs? I'm more familiar with non-AA URM personally so felt more comfortable caveating my statement with that, but definitely a confusing way to put it. Point is just that 166--> upper 160s locks in a much much more solid chance, and those softs won't move the needle.
Sorry, I thought you meant the OP was a non-AA URM, not that you were speaking as a non-AA URM. Never mind! (and I agree with your overall point)

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:33 pm

thelawsklkidd wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:18 pm
Well it’s fairly obvious that a higher score would increase my chances...I’m mostly wondering what my chances *at current* looked like.
Your softs are interesting, but nothing in unicorn territory. Nothing you've listed is more interesting than, say, being a helicopter pilot. The good news, though, is that your stats would appear to at least put you in contention (maybe a 20-50% chance, judging by the past ten cycles). I can't say if that shot is worth taking for you, but I took longer ones, so I'd be in no position to criticize you if you did. Good luck!

thelawsklkidd

Post by thelawsklkidd » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:43 pm

[/quote]
Your softs are interesting, but nothing in unicorn territory. Nothing you've listed is more interesting than, say, being a helicopter pilot. The good news, though, is that your stats would appear to at least put you in contention (maybe a 20-50% chance, judging by the past ten cycles). I can't say if that shot is worth taking for you, but I took longer ones, so I'd be in no position to criticize you if you did. Good luck!
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback! I reckon the only softs that really turn heads are like...starting Uber in college hahaha. If you don’t mind, could you PM me your cycle and results from when you were applying?

George Marshall

Post by George Marshall » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:52 pm

About 40% at YS based on the last few cycles. Definitely shoot your shot.