2.9/167 Houston?

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
Blue8705

2.9/167 Houston?

Post by Blue8705 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:15 pm

I’m not a URM, but I’m non traditional with several years of teaching experience since college. I wrote an addendum explaining that my sibling passed away while I was in college, which severely impacted my gpa. I would like to stay in Houston for family reasons and I’d prefer U of H to other options in the area. Thoughts? I fear my gpa will be a major obstacle.

Stranger

Re: 2.9/167 Houston?

Post by Stranger » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:44 pm

Blue8705 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:15 pm
I’m not a URM, but I’m non traditional with several years of teaching experience since college. I wrote an addendum explaining that my sibling passed away while I was in college, which severely impacted my gpa. I would like to stay in Houston for family reasons and I’d prefer U of H to other options in the area. Thoughts? I fear my gpa will be a major obstacle.
It's an obstacle, but not a prohibitive one. Houston looks pretty welcoming to similar applicants, but not terribly forthcoming with scholarships. Hit up other Texas schools, and potentially splitter-friendly schools in the South, for negotiation purposes.

somelawperson

Post by somelawperson » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Blue8705 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:15 pm
We don't have that much available data for UH as Stranger said, but it looks like you have even odds. The problem is scholarship money. Paying for law school is a tough pill to swallow, period. Houston doesn't have the worst employment chances, but over 1/3 of students find themselves without attorney jobs a year after graduation, and only 15ish percent end up in biglaw (AKA best able to service that debt).

The best things you can do on that front are (1) try to squeeze a few extra LSAT points out of another take (if you can), and (2) apply more broadly to other TX schools (and schools that compete in the region) so you have a better chance of getting some scholarship leverage for negotiation--even if you don't intend to ever attend those schools. Give yourself OPTIONS now, worry about picking between those options later.

Stranger is probably the splitter from last cycle with the best overall strategy for minimizing debt / maximizing outcomes so you should heed his advice.

sev

Post by sev » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:56 am

Rowdy wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:05 pm
The best things you can do on that front are (1) try to squeeze a few extra LSAT points out of another take (if you can)
I don't think more LSAT points really help in this case, with OP being so far above the 75th. If UH needs splitters (which I think the statistics favor this year), OP will stand a good chance. If they don't, a more points won't help.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:30 am

sev wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:56 am
Rowdy wrote:
The best things you can do on that front are (1) try to squeeze a few extra LSAT points out of another take (if you can)
I don't think more LSAT points really help in this case, with OP being so far above the 75th. If UH needs splitters (which I think the statistics favor this year), OP will stand a good chance. If they don't, a more points won't help.
Improving that LSAT is an indirect approach. It won't do anything for OP's admission odds at Houston, but raises chances of getting scholarship offers out of peer schools (or maybe even an admission at UT/Vandy/Wash U) to negotiate with. Houston at sticker is probably a poor life choice.

somelawperson

Post by somelawperson » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:46 pm

Stranger wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:30 am
sev wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:56 am
Rowdy wrote:
Improving that LSAT is an indirect approach. It won't do anything for OP's admission odds at Houston, but raises chances of getting scholarship offers out of peer schools (or maybe even an admission at UT/Vandy/Wash U) to negotiate with. Houston at sticker is probably a poor life choice.
I agree with stranger. Houston is probably a fine school but if that's OP's only option... And if UH knows it...

And IDK about Houston specifically, but I know that at similar local schools in my region I got much better scholarship offers than my friends with 16x LSATs even though we were both way above 75th.