179lsat/below average gpa, steep upward trend. No shot at T14? :(

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
nuuuke31

179lsat/below average gpa, steep upward trend. No shot at T14? :(

Post by nuuuke31 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:34 am

NYC BigLaw is the dream. Not as a pathway to pay off debt and get into in house but as a permanent career. I have friends and family in biglaw, and I do know it entails. Frankly, I already work similar hours at current job, just without the law and the pay.

I have a 2.7GPA from an Australian University in B.Com, which LSAC has classified as below average, and the actual number isn't going to be reported. It was due to some extenuating medical circumstances in my first few years, that has since resolved and I'm going to write an addendum about it. My last year of college I was at the top of my class.

I have worked 2 years since college and my LSAT is 179, first try. Ideally I'd LOVE Colombia/NYU, but I'll take any of the T-14. Since I'm an international, it has to be T-14 or I end up with no visa and a bunch of debt. I've been told I have no shot and not to even bother applying. Is this true?

I don't know it if makes a difference, but I'm an Asian female, part of the LGBT community.

Hand

Re: 179lsat/below average gpa, steep upward trend. No shot at T14? :(

Post by Hand » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:31 am

No one will be impressed with your undergrad performance, but int’l GPAs are not reported for ranking purposes, so really your LSAT is what matters most. I’d think you have a decent shot at getting in at a number of T14s

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:42 am

You have a shot. With a 179 LSAT it's worth papering the entire T14.

Not sure what you mean by ending up with no visa if you don't get T14. I don't think visas are pegged to US News rankings for law schools. You should definitely apply to other T20 schools that still place well in biglaw.

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:46 pm

Think she means that she has to get biglaw out of LS because midlaw/small practice/govt are not options for visa purposes, so she's not considering schools outside the T14 as the perceived risks are above her level of tolerance.

I echo what the others have said - throw apps at the entire T14, and I bet a few will bite (minus HYS - I've never heard of anyone without a "Superior" rating on their foreign UG transcript getting those 3). Might help to do a diversity statement. I wouldn't be surprised if you got some scholarship money offered.

Btw, Colombia is the South American country...

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:18 pm

heythatslife wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:46 pm

Btw, Colombia is the South American country...
Don't be that guy.

tacosaremylife

Post by tacosaremylife » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:04 am

They are right though... if you want that school you gotta know how to spell it. Just sayin