reapplication worthiness

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
app

reapplication worthiness

Post by app » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:58 pm

** Please don't quote

i wasn't sure where to get some input regarding a reapplication that i'm considering so posting it here. i'm a nontraditional applicant with 15-20 years work experience (unrelated to law) after grad degree. some of my previous cycles didn't go so well due to different reasons each time but i didn't feel it to be end of everything because i thought i had a reason it didn't go well. this time i'm seriously unsure where i stand and how to proceed.
- no-gpa/superior CAS rating, grad degree in US, ug done 20 yrs ago, STEM, naturalized US citizen
- 171 highest lsat, gre 168q/164v
- applied to H Jan-end 2017 (wl->reject in Jun), reapplied H in Oct-2017 (js1->reject in Mar)
- applied most t10 except YS in Dec-2016 (wl everywhere)
- same 3 recs used everytime, no C&F issues

i initially considered it worth to go only for H (due to no chance at YS and) due to my job as software eng combined combined with current boom in the industry. in the last 6 months since reject in March, the only thing that's changed is my job (recently switched to a known company like Intel/AMD/samsung/cisco as software engineering in Artificial Intelligence, a currently trending field. previous company was not well known outside tech).
i know my stats are far from a typical admit at H and had no success previously, but i feel very lost about my chances there. as i grow older, i'm also unsure if it's worth leaving a well paying job for something other than that. i'll have the same 3 recs so nothing new will add to the application except for couple lines in the resume about new job.
where do i stand? does the new job alone change anything? how to proceed from here?

*please don't quote
Last edited by app on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Re: reapplication worthiness

Post by Platopus » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:09 pm

Honestly, I wouldn’t expect any different results, especially since nothing has changed. The new job won’t matter. At this point, reapplying may even raise some red flags. It seems like you are very non-commital. If you really want to go to law school, it’s probably now or never this cycle. You’ll have to accept what you get this cycle, or be content to forgo law school altogether.

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:14 pm

I agree with Plato but I’d note that retaking the LSAT could improve your fortunes for the next go-around. With a 174 or better you’d be very competitive at H, at the very least - last year’s JS1 implies they like your softs.

LaLaLaw

Post by LaLaLaw » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:26 pm

Can you elaborate on what different reasons caused you to not perform well? Based on the info you provided, unless you make some major changes / updates, I’d almost expect a worse result next time. If you do decide to apply again, I’d write all new essays and get new letters of recommendations so your app doesn’t seem stale.

Hey_Everybody

Post by Hey_Everybody » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:50 pm

I'm amazed nobody has already said this, but don't go to law school. You have a successful career with a high paying job. Law is an oversaturated profession that mostly pays badly, and the well paying jobs usually don't last longer than a few years. You're not a 23 year old with a liberal arts degree and no marketable skills, you're a grown adult with a solid career. Don't go to law school.

LaLaLaw

Post by LaLaLaw » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Hey_Everybody wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:50 pm
I'm amazed nobody has already said this, but don't go to law school. You have a successful career with a high paying job. Law is an oversaturated profession that mostly pays badly, and the well paying jobs usually don't last longer than a few years. You're not a 23 year old with a liberal arts degree and no marketable skills, you're a grown adult with a solid career. Don't go to law school.
Oh yeah. Definitely this. If you are even moderately content with your life, don’t go to law school / become a lawyer.

app

Post by app » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:35 am

LaLaLaw wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:26 pm
please don't quote

applied to h 2 cycles ago but did so in late Jan, was wl'd that cycle and finally rejected in June (not js1). i chalked it up to late application. last cycle applied early but was rejected after js1. that's why i can't chalk up rejection last cycle to an issue i could work on. plus it felt a hard rejection (if there's such a thing or if it matters) as it happened in march instead of being js1->wl'd->reject sometime in summer.
Last edited by app on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaLaLaw

Post by LaLaLaw » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:04 am

app wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:35 am
LaLaLaw wrote:
Can you elaborate on what different reasons caused you to not perform well?
applied to h 2 cycles ago but did so in late Jan, was wl'd that cycle and finally rejected in June (not js1). i chalked it up to late application. last cycle applied early but was rejected after js1. that's why i can't chalk up rejection last cycle to an issue i could work on. plus it felt a hard rejection (if there's such a thing or if it matters) as it happened in march instead of being js1->wl'd->reject sometime in summer.
Gotcha. If just applying late in the season was your reason and you already “fixed” that, then I’d stand by the above advice that (1) you should really reflect on why law school and (2) if you do apply again, you should do it with an almost completely fresh application that shows growth and includes a really strong answer to why law school and why now.

app

Post by app » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:28 pm

i thought i'd explained why law in my last year's PS but clearly that wasn't enough. i agree i need to write a new PS. but would i need to add any new rec?

RichardMilhousNixon

Post by RichardMilhousNixon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:50 am

LaLaLaw wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:04 am
app wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:35 am
LaLaLaw wrote:
Can you elaborate on what different reasons caused you to not perform well?
Gotcha. If just applying late in the season was your reason and you already “fixed” that, then I’d stand by the above advice that (1) you should really reflect on why law school and (2) if you do apply again, you should do it with an almost completely fresh application that shows growth and includes a really strong answer to why law school and why now.
I would guess the reasons for your ding at H is simply numbers. You're below their LSAT median and have no GPA to make up for it. It's impossible to say what combination of softs and luck would result in an acceptance, but odds are against it with your numbers. Think about whether you're truly committed to a career in law and, if so, apply to schools other than just H (and apply as early as possible).