PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING YOUR CHANCES

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
xylocarp

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING YOUR CHANCES

Post by xylocarp » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:48 am

Before you make a "What are my chances?" thread:

1. Check MyLSN and Law School Numbers. Much, much more often than not, law school admissions comes down to the numbers, and just looking at past applicants' data can tell you what you need to know about your chances.

2. Look through the topics in this "Application Process" forum.

3. Determine whether or not you really need to make a new thread for your circumstances. Here is a helpful flow chart (courtesy of Grizz, crumpetsandtea, and Magnolia):

When Making Your Thread:

Include all of the relevant info. This means your LSAT score(s), LSDAS GPA, and URM (Under-Represented Minority) status. If you believe that your softs will make a difference, feel free to briefly include that info as well, but be wary of providing so much information that your identity could be traced back to you (adcomms do visit these boards). Softs that have made a significant difference in the past include military experience, winning a major scholarship or prize (e.g. Rhodes/Fulbright, Oscar, Nobel), making a significant difference in one's field (curing cancer, etc.), being a D1 college athlete, some cases of overcoming a very disadvantaged background, and (on the opposite side) things like having major criminal convictions.

Rowdy

Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING YOUR CHANCES

Post by Rowdy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:07 am

xylocarp wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:48 am
I suggest you move or link UVA2B's thread if he wants.

I also suggest a template of what to include. Might keep some of the wall of text out. Although that is usually the entertaining part of these threads anyways.

junicorns

Post by junicorns » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:11 am

Hi all, I'm wondering what advice we have for international students applying without a GPA? My UK grades evaluate down to a "Superior".

Entering numbers into LSN for chances is a huge range, because "Superior" spans 3.7-4.0. I also know it won't affect GPA medians, so I'm interested in how this changes my chances at the T14 which are known to weight GPA highly, like Berkeley. (I specifically have a 168, non-URM)

Nony

Post by Nony » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:26 am

I think the consensus is that international students’ chances are determined almost entirely by LSAT, since as you acknowledge schools can’t report “superior” to USNWR and the score won’t count toward their rankings. I’m not sure how Berkeley would handle it. I think I will sent up a thread for international students where your question may get more traction.