151 LSAT, GPA 3.85.. where to?

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
Rink

Re: 151 LSAT, GPA 3.85.. where to?

Post by Rink » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:46 pm

Jdjmcd wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:19 pm
BigBoi22 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:26 pm
This is pretty typical for Criminal Justice majors: Low LSAT scores. That major tends to not attract the brightest of the bunch (not saying you are OP) and law school just isn't right for these types of people. It would probably behoove you to peruse a career with a different mental skill set, such as a TSA agent :)
I would normally never bother entertaining this kind of comment, as clearly if you feel the need to belittle people on the internet who are only asking for advice, you have some underlying issues you may need to address . . . However- I was accepted into decent schools. Honestly, I'm fairly proud of my progress. Four years ago I was inches from death with a severe brain injury that completely changed my life. I skip lines when I read, I often write different letters than I'm thinking, and have injuries to my back and neck that make sitting for the LSAT almost impossible. The fact that I have a 3.85 in CJ, a 4.0 in pre-law and a 151 despite these problems that would so clearly harm someone's performance on the test shows I'm capable of much more than working as a TSA agent.
Don't worry about that guy; he was a tool and is now banned from the board.
You got good advice in the earlier posts by other people.

tacosaremylife

Post by tacosaremylife » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:36 am

Don’t let this fool get under your skin. This is exactly what they want to do. If you have a valid reason for accommodations then you should definitely try. Your chances increase substantially with a better LSAT score. But if you are ok with your options and understand the employability of the schools that accept you with an LSAT 151 then go ahead. You just need to be realistic and understand your employment potential and debt averseness.

MtDewMe

Post by MtDewMe » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:30 pm

I went from a 151 to a 166 and my chances improved drastically at a good job. Do the same and there's plenty of time for October. And my GPA was only a 3.3 adjusted. The point is even if you don't want biglaw, you want options. Want to be a prosecutor or PD? You probably want to be one in a bigger market or stronger legal ties to advance your career and not some small town in [square state]. Discipline, and maybe the accommodations will increase the value you provide to yourself tremendously.

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:08 pm

All the good stuff has already been said, but my only addition is that you really need to be disciplined on this. Sit down and study consistently and, really, treat it as a full-time job to the extent you can. None of this taking the LSAT cold or with minimal studying stuff. You're clearly capable of a much higher score than you got.

Also, I assume you've thought it through already, but I would just ask whether law school and being a lawyer is something you believe you relaly want to do. A lot of what you'll be asked to do (in law school and as a lawyer) will involve sitting at a desk and reviewing/reading/writing various things--and often paying close attention to detail in what you're doing. I'm in no way being mean or suggesting that you're incapable of doing well, but it could be a hell of a lot more challenging. Of course, if you've clearly decided to go this route, I think everyone on this board is all ready to help with advice. ('Cept the dicks that get banned.)

klick

Post by klick » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:17 pm

I would normally never bother entertaining this kind of comment, as clearly if you feel the need to belittle people on the internet who are only asking for advice, you have some underlying issues you may need to address . . . However- I was accepted into decent schools. Honestly, I'm fairly proud of my progress. Four years ago I was inches from death with a severe brain injury that completely changed my life. I skip lines when I read, I often write different letters than I'm thinking, and have injuries to my back and neck that make sitting for the LSAT almost impossible. The fact that I have a 3.85 in CJ, a 4.0 in pre-law and a 151 despite these problems that would so clearly harm someone's performance on the test shows I'm capable of much more than working as a TSA agent.
Don't worry about that troll (who should be banned immediately). The account belongs to, for all intents and purposes, a complete loser looking for attention.

As for your situation, I understand that it may be difficult to study for or even take the LSAT. However, I strongly urge you to take a year off and put some significant time into studying. Given what you've told us, its probably that you are not even close to your LSAT potential and you could very well score in the 160's. Even a 160 makes a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE when it comes to admissions to a reputable law school with some money.

Take it from someone who would kill to have had your drive and GPA in undergrad: Law schools admissions is very much a numbers game centered around median LSAT and GPA. You have a top GPA, why not aim for a better LSAT and better school? Your chances rise astronomically if you take a look at these graphs:

http://mylsn.info/o5tzkx/

http://mylsn.info/nrwosd/

Other than these two numbers, the only thing admission officers will really weigh is your Personal Statement, and your story seems like it would make for a great one. Why not aim for the top?

Also, you may want to consider applying with a GRE score to applicable schools. You may find it easier to study for and take, but note that there isn't much information out there about GRE only applicants and their acceptances. Good luck!

Jdjmcd

Post by Jdjmcd » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:08 pm

Thank you everyone! I'm so glad I found this site, this has been incredibly helpful.

Also, I assume you've thought it through already, but I would just ask whether law school and being a lawyer is something you believe you relaly want to do. A lot of what you'll be asked to do (in law school and as a lawyer) will involve sitting at a desk and reviewing/reading/writing various things--and often paying close attention to detail in what you're doing.
[/quote]

Yes! 100% sure. I honestly have very little difficulties outside of standardized testing and the LSAT. Sometimes I write on the wrong line if I'm overtired, but other than that school was a breeze (especially the law classes). I was concerned for a very long time that I wasn't capable of this anymore, which is why I ended up taking the LSAT with such little commitment, I told myself for a long time that this would hold me back, but after a little push from the dept. head at my school, I took some law classes and felt like I found something that could bring back the passion for life I lost post accident. I definitely know it's something I'm capable of, I just have to prove it..

Jdjmcd

Post by Jdjmcd » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:10 pm

MtDewMe wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:30 pm
I went from a 151 to a 166 and my chances improved drastically at a good job. Do the same and there's plenty of time for October. And my GPA was only a 3.3 adjusted. The point is even if you don't want biglaw, you want options. Want to be a prosecutor or PD? You probably want to be one in a bigger market or stronger legal ties to advance your career and not some small town in [square state]. Discipline, and maybe the accommodations will increase the value you provide to yourself tremendously.
That's amazing! The minimum I think I'd like to bring it up to is a 164, but I'm not sure if I can do that. Although it's a stretch, I REALLY want to get into Cornell someday.. Maybe a huge reach but my GPA is in line, maybe I can apply as a reverse splitter. :oops:

CS1775

Post by CS1775 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:31 am

2L here. You have pretty similar numbers to what I had. I had a 3.92 (3.85 in community college + 4.00 at degree-granting undergrad) and a 152, then 155.

"East Coast" is a pretty big geographic area. In New England, you'd be looking at UCONN or UNH as a guarantee, with lower-tiered schools such as RWU throwing money at you (75% to full ride).

If you can get into the 160s, you have a very, very good shot of getting into BC/BU (in that order, BU tends to be one ranking spot higher) and perhaps a T14, like Cornell, as you mentioned.

What do you intend to do with your JD? BigLaw? Prosecution? Public Defender? Other?

Edit:
Jdjmcd wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:08 pm
Yes! 100% sure. I honestly have very little difficulties outside of standardized testing and the LSAT. Sometimes I write on the wrong line if I'm overtired, but other than that school was a breeze (especially the law classes). I was concerned for a very long time that I wasn't capable of this anymore, which is why I ended up taking the LSAT with such little commitment, I told myself for a long time that this would hold me back, but after a little push from the dept. head at my school, I took some law classes and felt like I found something that could bring back the passion for life I lost post accident. I definitely know it's something I'm capable of, I just have to prove it..
Undergrad law classes and law school classes are different beasts altogether. My CC degree was in Paralegal Studies. If you've taken classes like Torts, Property, Legal Research + Writing, ConLaw, and others as an undergrad, you'll have a grasp of the lingo, but that's about it. The biggest help for me was not my undergrad classes, but that I worked in real estate for a couple years - that made understanding my law school Property class easier until we got to Future Interests.

Like others have said, try to talk to a law student and get a glimpse into their workload and their daily life. Law school is basically a full-time job, M-F if not 7-days a week (this depends on the person/school/year/extracurricular activities), whereas undergrad legal classes are far less intense.

Also, how many undergrad semesters do you have left? You may want to do an internship. If you want to be a prosecutor, try a local prosecutorial office. If you want to be a public defender, go intern at a PD. Etc., etc.

keilz

Post by keilz » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:02 pm

I'd like to echo what everyone else said about setting an LSAT plan and sticking to it! You're gonna need to have confidence that you CAN get a great score and improve. Don't let the fear of not improving stop you from trying. Based on your improvement in one month of intermittent studying, you definitely WILL improve. And any improvement, no matter how little, you'll want to say that you tried your hardest. None of it is a waste of time, because every LSAT point makes a difference. Don't focus so much on setting minimum LSAT score cut-offs for yourself, as those may lead to discouragement if it takes you a little while to get there. Instead, I would focus on researching schools -- look up their employment outcomes (employment rates and types, and the geographic area of where graduates are employed) and scholarship offerings. Then, create a list of schools that you would like to attend and work until your LSAT is in the general range that you need from there. Make sure to apply to a variety of schools -- you'll want options (e.g. local flagship state school for free, or a higher ranked school with less scholarship money but better employment outcomes, etc.), but you can come back and ask those questions after you've taken the LSAT! I also echo everyone as to not rushing your application, and be open to applying in 2020 if needed. I delayed my law school application plans an extra year, and I only increased my LSAT score three points, but it dramatically improved my options. I was able to get into the school that initially rejected me, got into way better schools with better scholarships, and was able to be closer to family, etc.

It's great that you've been so receptive to retaking the LSAT, and I definitely recommend doing a lot of research on this forum as you continue to prepare your LSAT/Applications. It definitely helped me out!

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:43 am

Why are you necro'ing a thread from August