151 LSAT?

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
callitasunday

151 LSAT?

Post by callitasunday » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:10 pm

I am hoping to apply for law school in the upcoming cycle, for entry in Fall 2019. I am not prepared as I am, as I have recently committed to applying. Do you think, with enough studying, I can improve my LSAT score to be competitive for the upcoming cycle? I know it's best to apply as early as possible. I am wondering if I can get into the 170s with a practice LSAT of 151 by September? Any suggestions welcome.

pneumonia

Re: 151 LSAT?

Post by pneumonia » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:14 pm

callitasunday wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:10 pm
I am hoping to apply for law school in the upcoming cycle, for entry in Fall 2019. I am not prepared as I am, as I have recently committed to applying. Do you think, with enough studying, I can improve my LSAT score to be competitive for the upcoming cycle? I know it's best to apply as early as possible. I am wondering if I can get into the 170s with a practice LSAT of 151 by September? Any suggestions welcome.
How did you time the 151, if at all? Was it your first PT? How did you study before taking it?

callitasunday

Post by callitasunday » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:17 pm

pneumonia wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:14 pm
callitasunday wrote:
How did you time the 151, if at all? Was it your first PT? How did you study before taking it?
I did a full length practice test, under normal testing conditions. This was the first practice test. I had looked at some of the Khan Academy videos for Logical Reasoning (maybe 15 minutes of their videos?), but that is about it.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:18 pm

change your mindset to "i'll apply to law school when i'm satisfied with my score" instead of "i'm applying to law school in September, and hopefully my LSAT will be good enough by then."

yeah, it's possible to get in the 170's by September but it's also possible that it won't. you're fully capable of getting a 17X score, but there's no guarantee that i'll happen in the next 2 months. it might take 12 months and you have to be ok with that.

law

Post by law » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:26 pm

It really depends on how fast you pick up on the material. Pick up some study materials like the lsat trainer or the powerscore bibles and go at it. I think shooting for a decent score on the September test and using that as an indicator as how you might project for a possible December retake would be your main objective. What are your career goals? GPA? Work experience? We need a bit more information before giving you solid advice here. Also what pancake said, don't rush the test just to apply if you aren't satisfied with the score that you received. Law school will still be there as you work to perfect that and every other part of your app.

callitasunday

Post by callitasunday » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:35 pm

Thank you for the advice everyone!! My GPA is about 3.75. I've been out of college for several years and doing full-time work. I want to work in public interest law.

I have thought about taking the GRE as well and considering applying with the GRE, although this limits my options significantly. I know that I can prepare for Fall 2020, but as far as I am with my career and housing, applying this year makes the most sense. I only wish I had realized this sooner.

181plz

Post by 181plz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:37 pm

callitasunday wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:35 pm
Thank you for the advice everyone!! My GPA is about 3.75. I've been out of college for several years and doing full-time work. I want to work in public interest law.

I have thought about taking the GRE as well and considering applying with the GRE, although this limits my options significantly. I know that I can prepare for Fall 2020, but as far as I am with my career and housing, applying this year makes the most sense. I only wish I had realized this sooner.
You can’t predict the future. Do as well as you can in September and reevaluate from there.

law

Post by law » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:34 am

You have a good GPA, so work as hard as you can to do well on september and december tests. A 168+ for you would open up a lot of doors as to where you could go.

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:16 am

callitasunday wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:17 pm
I did a full length practice test, under normal testing conditions. This was the first practice test. I had looked at some of the Khan Academy videos for Logical Reasoning (maybe 15 minutes of their videos?), but that is about it.
With a 151 PT you should definitely be able to get into the 170s. You took a real test under real conditions, and you did better than 50% of people--most of whom, presumably, had studied or at least seen the material before. So you're in good shape.

September will be very difficult though, especially since you're working. Two and a half months is on the extreme short end of minimum, and that's if you were studying full time. Add to that preparing an application and it's almost a guarantee that whatever score you get in September will be several points lower than what you're capable of. I PT'd a 151 in January (several years ago), studied 30+ hours a week for five months, and ended up in the high 170s. But halfway through my studying I was only averaging in the mid-160s. So the extra months helped a lot.

If I were in your shoes I'd plan to take the December test and to apply next cycle. A year may seem too long, but if it buys you a better score, it'll also buy you a better school which will lead to a better job in a better city with better pay, better prospects, and less debt. Even more so since you're interested in public interest work. It's worth the delay. And it will also give you next spring/summer to prepare your essays and application, get letters or rec., research schools, etc.

Here's some bonus advice that may or may not apply to you. I've met many people, both here and in real life, that had to take the LSAT NOW for whatever reason. It's never the right decision. I'm out of school now, and I meet other attorneys all the time from all different schools. Some of them have good jobs, some don't. Some are looking for jobs. A lot of them had to take the LSAT NOW four or five years ago. For some it was parental pressure. Other hated their current job. Others wanted to move cities for whatever reason. Jumping into law school didn't solve any of those problems for them. Instead, for many it just added the additional pressures of debt, unemployment, and/or regret. Whatever pressure your facing to take the LSAT NOW, you only get one chance to alleviate it. Best give it your best shot.

Slippin’ Jimmy

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:58 pm

callitasunday wrote:
My first full length practice test was in the low 150s, and I scored in the low 170s for real 6 months later. Head over to the LSAT sub for some great studying advice and guides.

HenryHankPalmer

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:16 pm

callitasunday wrote:
As a cold LSAT score, 151 is perfectly respectable. I started out within that range and increased by 16 points over roughly six months. As Jimmy said, peruse the LSAT Forum and find a study plan that works best for you. Invest time in preparing for the LSAT, it is the singular most important aspect of the application process.