Can I get in?

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
jblue1996

Can I get in?

Post by jblue1996 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:22 pm

Hey guys,

Quick question. I have a 3.51 at St. John's University in New York and I have a 145 LSAT score. I am wait listed from Hofstra and wanted to know what you guys think my chances are of getting into Brooklyn, New York Law, Hofstra, and Touro.

Thanks!
Jesse

Henry

Re: Can I get in?

Post by Henry » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi - your LSAT is quite low for those schools, and frankly you would likely be best served not attending those schools at full price. For many people, especially those like you with quite good GPA's, it is likely not a good choice to apply for law school/ attend law school with a 145.

Your GPA is quite good, and I think it would be very worth it for you to retake the LSAT. I suspect that if you took a year to study and reapply it is very likely that you could increase your LSAT score substantially and get into schools with better employment outcomes or be competitive for scholarships at the schools you listed.
Last edited by Henry on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somelawperson

Post by somelawperson » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Jesse - I'm gonna give you the quick rundown of the advice you're likely to receive, and why.

Folks around here operate on the assumption that you should attend a law school that will be likely to yield a career in law. Furthermore, they operate on the assumption that you should pay as little as possible for law school, especially when attending a school that will not be a surefire path to a career in BigLaw. This is because people here view law school as an investment, and have seen the results when people pay tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars and are unable to secure jobs that allow them to service that debt, or jobs as attorneys, period.

I'm not intimately familiar with the schools you listed. But given your GPA and LSAT, I can tell you that any school that admits you will either be unlikely to yield a career in law, or very expensive. You are unlikely to have any good and cheap options with that LSAT.

The advice people will give you is to retake the LSAT to get a score that will either earn you entrance to a better school, or to one of the schools you mentioned for free. Your GPA isn't great but it is serviceable if you can get a much better LSAT.

I just checked out Hofstra's employment numbers. They aren't terrible--about 2/3 have full time jobs as attorneys within a year of graduation. I could see it as a very sensible option at the right price. Your GPA is above median at Hofstra but your LSAT is below their 25th percentile. If you get above a 155 LSAT, their 75th percentile, you stand a chance of getting a solid scholarship there. I'd love to see you study hard and retake the LSAT until you get above a 155 and try to get Hofstra to offer you a full ride. That would not be a bad outcome. You could also totally kill the LSAT and change your life by getting into an even better school for free or a significant discount.

I think that's very plausible--there are so many points you could easily add at your level that people on this board could help you with, or any of a ton of free resources.

In short, I think you should retake the LSAT and reapply. I think everyone else here will give you the same advice.

Echos Myron

Post by Echos Myron » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Rowdy wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:51 pm
Jesse - I'm gonna give you the quick rundown of the advice you're likely to receive, and why.

Folks around here operate on the assumption that you should attend a law school that will be likely to yield a career in law. Furthermore, they operate on the assumption that you should pay as little as possible for law school, especially when attending a school that will not be a surefire path to a career in BigLaw. This is because people here view law school as an investment, and have seen the results when people pay tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars and are unable to secure jobs that allow them to service that debt, or jobs as attorneys, period.

I'm not intimately familiar with the schools you listed. But given your GPA and LSAT, I can tell you that any school that admits you will either be unlikely to yield a career in law, or very expensive. You are unlikely to have any good and cheap options with that LSAT.

The advice people will give you is to retake the LSAT to get a score that will either earn you entrance to a better school, or to one of the schools you mentioned for free. Your GPA isn't great but it is serviceable if you can get a much better LSAT.

I just checked out Hofstra's employment numbers. They aren't terrible--about 2/3 have full time jobs as attorneys within a year of graduation. I could see it as a very sensible option at the right price. Your GPA is above median at Hofstra but your LSAT is below their 25th percentile. If you get above a 155 LSAT, their 75th percentile, you stand a chance of getting a solid scholarship there. I'd love to see you study hard and retake the LSAT until you get above a 155 and try to get Hofstra to offer you a full ride. That would not be a bad outcome. You could also totally kill the LSAT and change your life by getting into an even better school for free or a significant discount.

I think that's very plausible--there are so many points you could easily add at your level that people on this board could help you with, or any of a ton of free resources.

In short, I think you should retake the LSAT and reapply. I think everyone else here will give you the same advice.
All of this is accurate and well-written.

Also, based on your username, I'm guessing you were born in 1996 and are a senior in undergrad. I would recommend applying for some jobs, studying for the LSAT to retake it in September (or later) and reapplying next fall at the earliest.

A higher LSAT, coupled with some solid work experience will improve your options considerably.

If you were able to graduate with above a 3.5 from a respectable university, you can definitely get a 160+ on the LSAT with solid preparation.

MercW08

Post by MercW08 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:01 pm

You really aren't going to receive any better advice than what has already been said by Rowdy, which is not surprising as Rowdy has a history of delivering sound advice. With that being said, I'd be interested to know how much studying you did before you scored a 145, and more importantly how did you study? If you just walked into the testing center and took the thing for the first time, you're in luck. The LSAT is very learnable, and your 145 can quite easily become a 150s or even 160s score. If you studied hard for that 145 Id be willing to bet the methods you used were not not great, but once again you're in luck. This site is full of people that have discovered more than a few different approaches to studying that will surely help you.

But before you go any further Id suggest you do a fair amount of research. Answering questions like what kind of law you want to practice, and what area of the country you'd like to practice in will help you come up with a nice list of schools that would fit your goals. Once you have that list you can research their requirements and set a goal LSAT score. Some combination of school/goals require a 170+ LSAT score, other combos might require a slightly lesser score but thanks to the internet, that can all be determined.