Do international students get Ruby’s?

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
cookiemonster

Do international students get Ruby’s?

Post by cookiemonster » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:52 pm

From LSData and ABA reports it’s clear UChicago has a bias against international students. But, has an international student ever gotten a Ruby? Is that possible?

Nony

Re: Do international students get Ruby’s?

Post by Nony » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:11 pm

Why do you say they have a bias against international students?

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:25 pm

Nony wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:11 pm
LSData shows 0 International acceptances last cycle, including a waitlist to a student who's app was good enough to get the Hamilton from Columbia. Additionally, for the 2018-2019 cycle the 3 international students on LSData who did get in didn’t get a scholarship greater than 60k. Chicago’s 509 report from 2019 shows 8 International matriculants total for their entire Law school student body. It seems like they’re not as inclined to accept international students, or they just offer them very limited scholarships when they do.

Nony

Post by Nony » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:20 pm

Hmm, I wonder if it's that they weight GPA more heavily than some schools? I thought I'd heard that somewhere but could certainly be wrong. Also, I wonder if international students apply to Chicago at the same rate that they apply to other places. Certainly the numbers of international applicants appear very low overall.

In any case... how will it alter your application strategy if you find out that no/some international students have received the Ruby in the past?

necho2

Post by necho2 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:00 pm

Yeah UChicago weights GPAs pretty heavily, so if international students get a different scale that doesn't influence that (and remember the class size is below 200, so it's easier to tweak a median) at all, maybe they're less likely to throw money at internationals? I think to be in a good position to get a Ruby you basically need to be 75+/75+ on both stats, so if having international grades prevents you from getting that, it wouldn't shock me if the offer rate is lower. Anecdotally, in my year I don't think we had any international Rubies.

Edit: To be clear, I did not see any evidence that UChicago had a "bias" against international students.

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:36 pm

Nony wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:20 pm
Hmm, I wonder if it's that they weight GPA more heavily than some schools? I thought I'd heard that somewhere but could certainly be wrong. Also, I wonder if international students apply to Chicago at the same rate that they apply to other places. Certainly the numbers of international applicants appear very low overall.

In any case... how will it alter your application strategy if you find out that no/some international students have received the Ruby in the past?
Applications sent out so there’s no strategy to be altered, just asking out of pure curiosity, it’s still going to be a wait and see. But the GPA thing makes sense, I also heard it had to do with employment rates and whatnot, but yeah guess we’ll never know for sure.

broadbandfreedom

Post by broadbandfreedom » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:44 am

From data and ABA reports it's clear UChicago has a bias against international students. But, as an international student got a Ruby?
6 posts

·

Baguette

Post by Baguette » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:04 pm

broadbandfreedom wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:44 am
From data and ABA reports it's clear UChicago has a bias against international students. But, as an international student got a Ruby?
6 posts

·

Empirically, UChicago accepts very few people with non-U.S./Canadian bachelor's degrees (this can be inferred from the number of unreported GPAs on their 509 report). So they definitely have a bias against foreign degrees. Hard to say whether that is about citizenship/nationality (plausible, since it has an impact on employability) or about reportable GPAs (also plausible, since it has an effect on medians).

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:03 pm

Baguette wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:04 pm
broadbandfreedom wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:44 am
6 posts

·

Empirically, UChicago accepts very few people with non-U.S./Canadian bachelor's degrees (this can be inferred from the number of unreported GPAs on their 509 report). So they definitely have a bias against foreign degrees. Hard to say whether that is about citizenship/nationality (plausible, since it has an impact on employability) or about reportable GPAs (also plausible, since it has an effect on medians).
And to answer the question from the subject line, since there's a non-citizen in the Choosing threads with a Ruby offer, clearly at least some international students get them.