URM Super-Splitter Advice?

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
aerophage1771

URM Super-Splitter Advice?

Post by aerophage1771 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:36 pm

Hey friends,

So I'm currently trying to work out the list of schools I want to apply to next year. I'm currently sitting at a 2.9-3.1 depending on how this semester turns out with another semester left to improve so let's set my GPA range around 3.0-3.2 (I was an idiot my first two years and kept banging my head against a major not meant for me but I've finally found my way). I also have an LSAT in the 178-180 range (trying to not doxx myself).

I'm First-Gen, African American, Low-Income, and attending HYPS. I'm trying to figure out which schools have hard GPA floors where it wouldn't even be worth me sending an application. I don't have a particularly good GPA addendum since the only reason for my GPA is poor judgement which I don't necessarily want to emphasize in my app although I will have a pretty strong upward trend. Any advice on schools to just auto remove from list? My inclination is to just shave off YLS, SLS, and HLS then swing for the rest of the T14s and some safeties. Any help would be appreciated.

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Re: URM Super-Splitter Advice?

Post by ymmv » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:57 pm

With a 178-80 I wouldn’t assume you’re auto-ding anywhere. I’m too far out of the application loop to know the numbers game (check out LSN info), but instinctively I’d recommend applying to the whole T14 for that potential $$$ negotiation if nothing else.

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:09 pm

Yeah I’ve been out of the game for a while but if memory serves you’re very competitive everywhere.

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:23 pm

Agree with the above. I would push hard to finish with a 3.0 or better because that is a meaningful break-point for some schools. Ask for fee waivers.

I would not bother with non-T14s unless you want to ride the WashU money train or have a specific region in mind (e.g. USC/UCLA for Southern California).

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:07 pm

There's zero harm in trying here - I would blanket the entire T14, including HYS. Happy to weigh in on safeties as well, but you likely won't need them (unless there's a T25 or so that you'd like to attend for geographic reasons that you can get a full ride from).

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:13 pm

i've never heard of a hard GPA floor for any school, especially re: URM. And even if there were, it wouldn't be set at 3.0; meaning a 2.9 isn't prohibitive.

I also wouldn't distinguish between "safeties" and T14. If you strike out on T14 scholly and are looking at WUSTL full ride v. GULC sticker, that's not really picking between a safety and a "good" school.

aerophage1771

Post by aerophage1771 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:58 pm

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the advice. I'll probably just ask for fee waivers to the whole T14 and apply to them all, WashU, and two other schools I think I'll probably get full rides.

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:15 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:13 pm
i've never heard of a hard GPA floor for any school, especially re: URM. And even if there were, it wouldn't be set at 3.0; meaning a 2.9 isn't prohibitive.
Berkeley is the exception here since they have to follow rules imposed by their parent university:
[...] The Berkeley Graduate Division requires that graduate students have at least a 3.00 undergraduate cumulative GPA for admission. Exceptions can be made for very promising applicants. We review applications carefully and in their entirety.
https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admissions ... gree/faqs/

Not an absolute hard floor, but still a meaningful obstacle if they have to petition some provost for permission to admit someone.

Story

Post by Story » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:25 pm

Apply to the T14 and to the T25s that give you fee waivers.