150-->159 3.75 GPA

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
justanotherstudent

150-->159 3.75 GPA

Post by justanotherstudent » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:36 pm

While I am dissapointed I could not get into the 160s, I did have a 9 point improvement from the July LSAT to the October test. I am largely debating whether I should start applying to schools now as it will improve my financial aid options. I am also considering taking again in January but I feel as if that is too late and I am worried my score will not make any significant jump. As of now, my school list is as follows: Emory, GW, Fordham, FSU, UF, UMiami, and UofSouth Carolina. I am a straight, white male for reference and am currently a college student. Thank you for your help!

Stranger

Re: 150-->159 3.75 GPA

Post by Stranger » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:23 pm

With those numbers, you're probably not getting into Emory, GW, Fordham, or Florida (barring a waitlist miracle). FSU, Miami, and South Carolina are likely to take you, but not with the kind of scholarship money to make those good life choices (unless maybe if you're getting in-state tuition at South Carolina). You're relatively close to better options with a retake. And of course, a year or two of real world work experience will benefit you personally and professionally.

justanotherstudent

Post by justanotherstudent » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:28 pm

Stranger wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:23 pm
With those numbers, you're probably not getting into Emory, GW, Fordham, or Florida (barring a waitlist miracle). FSU, Miami, and South Carolina are likely to take you, but not with the kind of scholarship money to make those good life choices (unless maybe if you're getting in-state tuition at South Carolina). You're relatively close to better options with a retake. And of course, a year or two of real world work experience will benefit you personally and professionally.
does a 159 look much different from a 160? If I had gotten a point higher would I be in a different boat? Or does that require a push to about a 163-165?

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:32 pm

You start reaching "maybe" territory for GW/Emory/Fordham around 161. That crosses into coin toss territory at 162. By 164, you might be looking at a modest scholarship. 165 is where GW and Emory actually *want* you, and start flashing better than 50% scholarships to make it happen.

You can do your own analysis of what law school is worth to you, but I assure you, you're going to underestimate your debt (even with the better debt calculators I saw/used in my cycle) and overestimate your potential to achieve your career goals. I'm not in the camp that will tell you "T14 or bust", but I would be very clear about the costs of school, the job prospects at the schools you're considering, and the fact that no, you will not just be able to work harder than the 200 try-hards in your class and beat the curve that way. GW/Emory/Fordham at better than 50% discount is a good outcome for someone willing to take decent jobs other than biglaw and not packing an outstanding performance from either undergrad or the LSAT.

But you're still in undergrad, and there's still an opportunity for you to change your numerical profile. Two semesters of straight A's should be enough to improve your GPA to about a 3.81 (unless you've already assumed straight A's and projected your graduating GPA, then you're going to need to focus first on hitting those, then on improving your LSAT). A student with a mediocre LSAT and a 3.81 GPA is much more attractive than one with that same LSAT and a 3.75. Those extra points of GPA can be catnip to schools in the range you're targeting. That's all the more reason to take a year or two off.

If you focus on your GPA for now, and use that year or two to power a strong LSAT effort, you could be a candidate with a 165/3.81, which puts you in good stead with GW and Emory (and Vanderbilt, though not with the same sort of $$$), and even opens up shots at some of the T13. You're in a much better position to maximize your law school potential than I was, since you're still in school while thinking about it. That means you can improve your GPA rather than let it weigh you down, take time to get real world experience, and then maximize your LSAT potential.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:24 am

r-e-t-a-k-e

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:13 am

I'd plan on taking an additional year off. Focus on ending this year strong GPA-wise as Stranger mentioned, and then you can retake the LSAT next summer/fall and apply in fall of 2021. Your financial aid options are slim based on your current stats and you shouldn't be paying the full price for any of these schools. A higher LSAT score and GPA will be way better for your financial stability and job outcomes down the line.