3.1/167/Active Duty. Chicago/Secondary Market BL.

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
vonrus1

3.1/167/Active Duty. Chicago/Secondary Market BL.

Post by vonrus1 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:44 am

Cross posting from that other site.

As stated in the title, abysmal GPA and less than ideal LSAT. 8 years out of undergrad. Service ends just in time for the start of 2021 school year. Hoping to retake after this deployment finishes up in March to get off some anticipated waitlists, but for now 167 is what I'm using in my considerations.

Currently, JAG is #1 employment outcome, but should I change my mind I'd like to nab BL in Chicago or a smaller metro area with lower COL. Wouldn't need to be on the Cravath scale, 130k - 170k is fine. GI Bill is making my prospective debt load much smaller.

I've been planning for this since at least 2016, so I'm familiar of most the admissions game's nuances. Pretty aware of what most of my chances are here, just wanted to see if I anyone thought I should add schools to the list I may have missed.

Throwing apps at the following:

Michigan (lol)
NU (lol)
GULC (lol)
All of the 15-20
Minnesota
ND
GWU
Emory
UF
Fordham (Maybe something magically changes and I decide I want NYC)
Iowa
UCI
UNC
BC
UIUC
W&L
W&M
Washington

As stated above, praying for waitlists from Vandy/USC up and using a retake to snag an admit. Other than that, I believe NDLS is my best shot at snagging relatively high paying firm work. Before their new medians came out, I was figuring 50/50 at best. Now I'm not so sure. The rest I'd need to be well above class average, which is, of course, not statistically likely. But I have drive and determination and...kidding.

Most of the rest rest I'm assuming 60+ percent chance of admission based off various calculators, but as a splitter I'm ready for a frustrating cycle.

What are we thinking? Is my assessment accurate? Am I sleeping on any other schools?

Thanks in advance.

Stranger

Re: 3.1/167/Active Duty. Chicago/Secondary Market BL.

Post by Stranger » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:03 am

This scattershot application strategy is likely to give you a decent number of admissions, but after the top of the list, they get increasingly regional. If you're okay with the luck of the draw dictating which secondary cities you target post grad, that's fine, but you'll need to be prepared to convey a legit desire to live in those places you lack ties to.

It might be worth thinking about that now and narrowing the bottom half of the list. UCI, BC, and GWU, for instance, are good schools with good outcomes, but aren't exactly renowned for feeding low cost of living metro areas. Do you have military funding for your law school? Because if not, thinking about debt repayment is probably a good plan. But if you do, a school's scholarship habits matter a lot less. So, there are several important considerations to make as you narrow your application strategy (and you don't need to apply to 23 schools with your numbers unless you're taking long shots on fee waivers for many of them). I know the recommendation is for splitters to apply broadly, but that should be more about aspirational schools than the likely admits. You're not so extreme as to make every single app a coin flip.

vonrus1

Re: 3.1/167/Active Duty. Chicago/Secondary Market BL.

Post by vonrus1 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:56 am

Stranger wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:03 am
This scattershot application strategy is likely to give you a decent number of admissions, but after the top of the list, they get increasingly regional. If you're okay with the luck of the draw dictating which secondary cities you target post grad, that's fine, but you'll need to be prepared to convey a legit desire to live in those places you lack ties to.

It might be worth thinking about that now and narrowing the bottom half of the list. UCI, BC, and GWU, for instance, are good schools with good outcomes, but aren't exactly renowned for feeding low cost of living metro areas. Do you have military funding for your law school? Because if not, thinking about debt repayment is probably a good plan. But if you do, a school's scholarship habits matter a lot less. So, there are several important considerations to make as you narrow your application strategy (and you don't need to apply to 23 schools with your numbers unless you're taking long shots on fee waivers for many of them). I know the recommendation is for splitters to apply broadly, but that should be more about aspirational schools than the likely admits. You're not so extreme as to make every single app a coin flip.
Hey, thanks for your reply! I am eligible for the G.I Bill, which provides three academic years worth of in-state tuition (vets get in-state everywhere), or ~25k/yr at a private institution. Additionally, the Yellow Ribbon program provides funds to cover gaps left (say at a private school), but the exact amount provided varies by institution. I also receive a Basic Allowance for Housing, which is 9 months/year of rent money at a rate equal to the average apartment rent of the area. I'll also have a good chunk of savings for living expenses. All-in-all, I'm expecting to finish school with a debt load between 0-25K, depending on a few different things.

As for fee waivers, virtually every school I'm applying to military, so I'll just be paying the LSAC fee.

Lack of ties is definitely a problem. I'm struggling now with 'Why X's because I don't have better reasons that 'Your state is cheap, you have good employment outcomes, and I'm above your median LSAT'. I'm sure the job hunt will be worse.