What are my chances ?

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
only1dogcametomyBday

What are my chances ?

Post by only1dogcametomyBday » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:30 pm

Latino immigrant coming from a poor family in south america, constantly involved with volunteering activities. I have a Bachelor's in Applied Technology from BYU idaho with a GPA of 3.96 and an lsat score of 165. What are my chances ?

BlendedUnicorn
Hardening Democrat

Re: What are my chances ?

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:37 pm

I would see what lawschoolnumbers tells you and then assume you'll marginally outperform that based on a compelling background story. Retaking the LSAT to get your LSAT > 170 or so would make you a shoe-in for a lot of money in the T14.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:05 pm

You need to be more specific on what you're asking chances for here. T14? Scholarships? etc.

Here's your MyLSN for general chances across the spectrum of law schools.

https://mylsn.info/g2fl8p/

I'm also deleting all of your other threads.

only1dogcametomyBday

Post by only1dogcametomyBday » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:49 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:05 pm
You need to be more specific on what you're asking chances for here. T14? Scholarships? etc
I'm aiming for Harvard, but if that doesn't work out, any other one of the HYS.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:04 pm

why? what are your career goals? are you going to retake the LSAT?

only1dogcametomyBday

Post by only1dogcametomyBday » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:45 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:04 pm
I really just want to be rewarded for all the efforts. I plan to work on biglaw, and yes i am willing to retake lsat.

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:56 pm

By all means retake the LSAT for a shot at HYS and greater scholarship money at other schools. But if your goal is just biglaw (which is perfectly fine), I would also encourage you to look outside of the HYS in the T14 as well if the cost of attendance is going to be significantly cheaper. This is a topic that has been discussed ad nauseam on on this board and on TLS so you can see pages and pages of debates on this.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:30 pm

only1dogcametomyBday wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:45 pm
pancakes3 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:04 pm
I really just want to be rewarded for all the efforts. I plan to work on biglaw, and yes i am willing to retake lsat.
rewarded how? can't spend prestige. i don't have anything against HYS. just cautioning against prestige-chase

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:40 pm

only1dogcametomyBday wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:49 pm
UVA2B wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:05 pm
You need to be more specific on what you're asking chances for here. T14? Scholarships? etc
I'm aiming for Harvard, but if that doesn't work out, any other one of the HYS.
As pancakes said, be careful prestige chasing when you may not fully appreciate how prestige works among the top law schools. For instance, if you don't get into Harvard, having YS as a fallback option would be pretty tough, as they are both more selective and much smaller classes. Further, depending on what you want as a legal career, it's pretty unlikely Harvard or YS will have an appreciably better chance of getting it. Heythatslife outlined what is most important: get the best bang for your buck value. If you want to get into Biglaw, a T14 on a scholarship is likely a better investment than paying big bucks for Harvard. If, however, you're really gunning for academia, Harvard or YS is a better play, but is also still a really hard outcome to achieve. Picking the right school/price option is the name of the game, so make sure you are casting a wide enough net to have your best options on the table. Going to Duke on a full ride for NYC Biglaw is a better investment than Harvard at full freight.