Dropping a class hurting chances?

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
sequoiatrees

Dropping a class hurting chances?

Post by sequoiatrees » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:54 am

According to the CAS GPA calculator, I have a 3.57 GPA because I had to drop a class one term due to conflicting test schedules with college recruiting events, so that class counted as an F. I later retook the class I had to drop, and didn't do amazing, but not bad by any means. WIthout this class, I have a 3.71, according to the calculator. I also attend an ivy level institution. In terms of LSAT score, I took my first diagnostic exam, and got a 163, but I'm hoping to improve that by a reasonable amount. What do you think are my chances of getting into a t-14?

Thanks!

Slytherpuff

Re: Dropping a class hurting chances?

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:02 am

It's hard to know your chances without a real LSAT score. Based on GPA alone your chances are slim and you'd want to aim for at least a 170 on the LSAT to improve your chances of getting in. I'm not sure when you're thinking of applying to law school but it could be worth waiting an extra year to make sure you have enough time to devote to studying for the LSAT.

Here's how LSAC looks at your transcript, for reference. https://www.lsac.org/applying-law-schoo ... marization I'm guessing your school considers the withdrawal to be punitive considering they awarded you an F, but if the grade doesn't show up on your transcript then you may be okay. Could be worth trying to talk to your institution to see if they'd remove the first round of the class from your transcript? (I doubt they would, but it doesn't hurt to try.)

sequoiatrees

Post by sequoiatrees » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:07 pm

I'm not exactly sure if they count it as punitive. The withdrawal was not included in my GPA on my transcript, but in place of a grade, there is a W. Do you have any insights?

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:37 pm

1) did CAS tell you your grade is a 3.57 because it counted your W as a F, or are you just plugging in an F into an unofficial calculator?
2) why did you say that the class counted as an F, but say it wasn't included in your GPA, and in place of the grade there's a W?

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Does your transcript (or school generally) have any explanation of how they consider withdrawals? If it's just a W with no explanation and your school does not count withdrawals as punitive, then you might be in the clear. Again, just going off the official LSAC description for this. https://www.lsac.org/applying-law-schoo ... marization

sequoiatrees

Post by sequoiatrees » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:15 pm

I used the 7sage CAS calculator. It says to count all Ws as Fs. The transcript doesn't really say anything to explain it, so not super sure. I'll check ut the website, thank you!

RichardMilhousNixon

Post by RichardMilhousNixon » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:10 pm

sequoiatrees wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:15 pm
I used the 7sage CAS calculator. It says to count all Ws as Fs. The transcript doesn't really say anything to explain it, so not super sure. I'll check ut the website, thank you!
I think that would be quite unusual - not sure why 7sage says that. Read the fine print on LSAC. Most likely if it's not punitive at your school, it will not penalize your LSAC GPA.
Also, I don't think you need to be concerned about a W hurting your chances. Anecdotally, I had multiple (non-punitive) W's and I don't think I was adversely affected by them.

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:45 pm

sequoiatrees wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:15 pm
You should count a W as an F only if it was punitive, no matter what the 7sage calculator says. Look closely at your official transcript; every one I have ever seen has an explanation of what each letter or notation means. In most cases, a W is non-punitive. If your school doesn't count it against your GPA, then neither should LSAC.

64Fl

Post by 64Fl » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:16 pm

I applied to law school with a W on my transcript. LSAC did not count it as an F. As pneumonia said, they only count punitive withdrawals as an F, which it doesn't like you have here. In other words, 7sage is incorrect, and your GPA will probably be ~3.71.