156, 3.23 - Apply Part Time or Retake?

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
shouldIGo

156, 3.23 - Apply Part Time or Retake?

Post by shouldIGo » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:08 pm

Hello,

I am a non traditional student in my 30s. I am looking to apply to a part time or night law school program in NYC or NJ. Looking at Fordham, Brooklyn, Seton Hall, St. Johns, Rutgers-Newark.

Are these schools worth it given my background?

I think my scores are slightly below average for most of these schools. 156 LSAT (took it in 2018). And 3.23 GPA - I went to 3 colleges, screwed around at first college, then did great years later at community college and my final college years later. Accounting major.

I want to study tax law. I am a CPA at a big4 accounting firm in NYC and want to transition into being a tax lawyer. I have been working in corporate tax accounting for 3 years.

I ran a volunteer organization in College. Graduated in 2017.

Is it worth it to retake the LSAT and wait a year? Or “Shoot my Shot” with my scores? I would be closer to 40 upon graduating from a 4 year part time program. Any chance at any of these schools?

Is it a whole different ball game for part time applicants?

Any other school worth considering?

Stranger

Re: 156, 3.23 - Apply Part Time or Retake?

Post by Stranger » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:16 pm

You should definitely retake. You should be aiming to get through law school as close to debt free as possible, and neither of your numbers is going to be much help in that regard.

For tax law, the gold standard is continuing for an extra year after your JD to get the LLM from NYU, though this might not be necessary with your background.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:53 am

retake retake retake. you already know.

Barry

Post by Barry » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:47 am

I also think a retake here is the way to go. You'll have plenty of time to bump up the score, jumping 10+ points from 156 is not that hard, and doing so will net you way more scholarship $$$ and school opportunities.

Anecdotally, I had a worse LSAT and saw about a 20 point jump. There are a ton of great free guides on this site as well as TLS so you don't remotely need to use an expensive LSAT tutoring company. I bet you can even pretty easily find a study buddy to help keep each other motivated from r/LSAT (I personally found a study buddy very helpful).

You can do it!!

P.S. You don't need an LLM to do tax law - I think it's just another expensive bite at the biglaw apple if OCI doesn't work out at your school. But everyone I knew that wanted tax was told by the firms they summered at they could do tax when they got back. None of those people had CPAs. Ironically, the two people I knew with CPAs chose not to do tax law (one chose M&A, the other chose consulting). If I'm off base, maybe a tax person can chime in here?

Hennessy

Post by Hennessy » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:20 pm

Retake

haus

Post by haus » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:01 pm

I was a non-traditional student who got their JD from a part-time program. I started law school in my early 40s. I had attended 10 colleges before earning a BS, I then picked up a masters before I decided to go to law school.

I agree with the advice to retake.

After I had a poor performance on the LSAT, I went back to the drawing board studied more and retook, I came up about a dozen points on the second try. It appears to me that the higher score is the primary reason I received the scholarships that I did receive, which helped ease the pain on the cost.

Back when I was looking at this (six to seven years ago) it looked like part-time programs tended to be less generous with aid than full-time programs.