no idea what to write for ps

Get advice and feedback on your personal statement.
darthlawyer

no idea what to write for ps

Post by darthlawyer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:10 pm

nothing too interesting has really happened to me. im a normal white guy from a boring white suburb who was spoiled to an extent growing up. ive drifted through life at my leisure and now i want to buckle down and go to law school but have nothing much to show for myself. i was going to write about this one time i was in the hot tub at the gym, looking at people and thinking about myself... but that statement didnt go anywhere. maybe ill write about how i like lawyer characters in movies?

Finn

Re: no idea what to write for ps

Post by Finn » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Why do you want to go to law school?

darthlawyer

Post by darthlawyer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:27 pm

Finn wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:44 pm
Seems fun to be a lawyer.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:04 pm

darthlawyer wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:27 pm
Finn wrote:
Whoa, go check out the employment forums, especially the day in the life thread. Maybe the "so you think you want biglaw" thread in the other prelaw questions forum. Make sure you really know what you're getting into before you spend three years and take on five or six figures of debt to pursue this career.

darthlawyer

Post by darthlawyer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:10 pm

Stranger wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:04 pm
darthlawyer wrote:
Finn wrote:
Whoa, go check out the employment forums, especially the day in the life thread. Maybe the "so you think you want biglaw" thread in the other prelaw questions forum. Make sure you really know what you're getting into before you spend three years and take on five or six figures of debt to pursue this career.
I don’t have to read a thread. I have many close friends and family who are attorneys so I can get real info (as opposed to internet info).

DrGlennRichie

Post by DrGlennRichie » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:50 pm

The best PS I have ever read was about guy's memories regarding playing football when he was 11 y.o. So there is always something to write about. Ask yourself. What do you want to tell ad comm about yourself

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:07 pm

darthlawyer wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:10 pm
Stranger wrote:
darthlawyer wrote:
Finn wrote:
I don’t have to read a thread. I have many close friends and family who are attorneys so I can get real info (as opposed to internet info).
Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's not real info, that's flawed af logic.

Regardless, when did you decide it seems fun to be a lawyer? Do you have some idea of an area of law that interests you? When did that area first pique your interest?

You don't have to write about overcoming some adversity, most people who are applying to law school are pretty spoiled when viewed against the general population, the key is to exhibit why you want to be a lawyer and the skills/experiences that would make you a successful one. For some, a point of adversity in their life is intrinsically linked to that decision, that doesn't mean you should just go looking for adversity, that would be flipping the logic of the situation.

Job 1 should probably be coming up with a better, more robust answer than "it seems fun"

darthlawyer

Post by darthlawyer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:52 pm

I will have to elaborate.

HenryHankPalmer

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:06 am

This is an early candidate for troll post of the month

LawStudent

Post by LawStudent » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:26 pm

What area of law are you interested in?

Danger Zone

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:18 pm

darthlawyer wrote:
Stranger wrote:
darthlawyer wrote:
Finn wrote:
Yes, because friends and family never sugar coat their profession to look good and not miserable

darthlawyer

Post by darthlawyer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:47 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:18 pm
darthlawyer wrote:
Stranger wrote:
darthlawyer wrote:
Finn wrote:
Yes, because friends and family never sugar coat their profession to look good and not miserable
Not keeping it real is not something me and the people I’m close with have to worry about.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:04 pm

First off, I wouldn't write about lawyer characters in movies. I doubt that can/will show anything interesting about you as a candidate.

Second, you don't have to have any amount of adversity or things you think others will find interesting about you in order to write an effective PS. What activities have you been involved in that isn't sitting in a hot tub at a gym? Have you taken any classes that particularly captured your attention and made you think intellectually about a difficult issue? Have you ever been confronted with a difficult decision that made you realize you have certain values that are particularly important to you? Have you learned any lessons in life that you feel guide you in any substantial way?

A solid PS is usually about very personal introspection, so your time will be best served if you really stop and think about your life experience. Ask yourself, "why do I think I'll be a strong law student and attorney?" and "what qualities do I feel I could bring to this school and this profession that will add value to it?" Questions like that could bring out an interesting and unique take about you as an applicant. It doesn't have to be about why you want to be a lawyer if that doesn't serve the purpose you're trying to achieve, and it doesn't have to be a can't put it down, dramatic saga about your amazing life. It just needs to show something positive about you as a person and prospective law student.

I've read many PS in my time helping 0Ls, and some of the most effective were about pretty ordinary things of life. Mine personally centered around my mom's old adage that I should always leave something better off than I found it and connecting that to my professional work experience. It wasn't groundbreaking, but it allowed me to show some interesting and desirable qualities about myself through a single anecdote. I won't say it will win any Pulitzers, but I got into my top choice law school, so at minimum it didn't turn a yes into a no.

darthlawyer

Post by darthlawyer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:11 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:04 pm
First off, I wouldn't write about lawyer characters in movies. I doubt that can/will show anything interesting about you as a candidate.

Second, you don't have to have any amount of adversity or things you think others will find interesting about you in order to write an effective PS. What activities have you been involved in that isn't sitting in a hot tub at a gym? Have you taken any classes that particularly captured your attention and made you think intellectually about a difficult issue? Have you ever been confronted with a difficult decision that made you realize you have certain values that are particularly important to you? Have you learned any lessons in life that you feel guide you in any substantial way?

A solid PS is usually about very personal introspection, so your time will be best served if you really stop and think about your life experience. Ask yourself, "why do I think I'll be a strong law student and attorney?" and "what qualities do I feel I could bring to this school and this profession that will add value to it?" Questions like that could bring out an interesting and unique take about you as an applicant. It doesn't have to be about why you want to be a lawyer if that doesn't serve the purpose you're trying to achieve, and it doesn't have to be a can't put it down, dramatic saga about your amazing life. It just needs to show something positive about you as a person and prospective law student.

I've read many PS in my time helping 0Ls, and some of the most effective were about pretty ordinary things of life. Mine personally centered around my mom's old adage that I should always leave something better off than I found it and connecting that to my professional work experience. It wasn't groundbreaking, but it allowed me to show some interesting and desirable qualities about myself through a single anecdote. I won't say it will win any Pulitzers, but I got into my top choice law school, so at minimum it didn't turn a yes into a no.
Thanks a lot. I think what you wrote will be helpful to me.

darthlawyer

Post by darthlawyer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:13 pm

LawStudent wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:26 pm
Whatever is easy and leaves me the most flexibility. And is at least somewhat interesting. Or I’d like to try a new area of law every few years unless I get stuck doing something for longer than that.

presh

Post by presh » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:54 pm

darthlawyer wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:13 pm
LawStudent wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:26 pm
Whatever is easy and leaves me the most flexibility. And is at least somewhat interesting. Or I’d like to try a new area of law every few years unless I get stuck doing something for longer than that.

Well this is a great path to a malpractice suit.