PS overlap with resume

Get advice and feedback on your personal statement.
JennaSayKwah

PS overlap with resume

Post by JennaSayKwah » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:32 pm

Hi all! I'm a long time lurker who can't believe it's now my cycle!! So I know that the general wisdom is "don't restate your resume in your PS". But my work experience and certain academic items, which are all included on my resume, are a big part of my "why law" rational. I have written three different rough draft personal statements, but the one centered around my work/academic experience (basically a narrative walking through certain points on my resume) is the one that I feel puts my best foot forward. Would I be making a huge mistake to go this direction?

Stranger

Re: PS overlap with resume

Post by Stranger » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:42 pm

Is the PS just describing the work you did, or exploring your personal experiences while doing that work? The PS should be adding depth to your narrative. I'm not certain if it's doing that from your description.

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Re: PS overlap with resume

Post by icechicken » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:56 pm

"Don't restate your resume in your PS" means don't blandly recount your achievements like a CEO's website bio or an author's bookflap bio. Of course it's possible to write a compelling statement about, for example, the student clubs you founded during college.