UNC C/O 2021

School-specific applicants threads, waiting for results, announcements of acceptances/denials/waitlists.
ActivePainting

Re: UNC C/O 2021

Post by ActivePainting » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:11 pm

TheHonorableTirefire wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:27 pm
For those still wondering, can confirm via a friend that Chancellor's invites went out a couple weeks ago. Apparently the scholarship for invitees who are not selected has been bumped to $20k/80%. Sorry y'all, best of luck on your scholarship negotiations!
Hey all, did anyone else get invited? Any former or current scholars here willing to provide advice for the upcoming weekend?

tiredandhungry

Post by tiredandhungry » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Anyone in-state still waiting for their application to go complete? :roll: I applied over Christmas and submitted supplemental/residency form in January and I never received any kind of confirmation or update to the status checker.

2cool4LawSchool

Post by 2cool4LawSchool » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:38 pm

Deleted
Last edited by 2cool4LawSchool on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tiredandhungry

Post by tiredandhungry » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:49 pm

Update: I got an email that I went complete today (finally). I had emailed admissions last week for an update about my status, and at that point it had been over a month that I did the supplemental/residency ish. How long does it take to hear back after going complete?

vikingrunner

Post by vikingrunner » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Finally accepted today, though given their money situation and the fact that I'm in-state I'm not expecting much in $.

ThisIsMe18

Post by ThisIsMe18 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:36 pm

Just got in today, but haven’t received any scholarship information yet.

Lawschool2021

Post by Lawschool2021 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Anybody still waiting that applied in early January? 😭 unc is the only school I’m waiting on & they determine if I’m going to wake or not.

tiredandhungry

Post by tiredandhungry » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:43 pm

Saw that some people heard back today on LSN - anyone here?

Caesar

Post by Caesar » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:47 pm

FWIW I was wait listed from UNC in April and didn't hear about getting off the wait list until sometime in July/August.

HangingAround

Post by HangingAround » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:38 pm

This was a response to another thread, but since it has UNC info that people may find helpful, here it is. Not sure if UNC is the right choice for you, but this can at least provide some more information from a 2L perspective:

Sure, you shouldn't expect a great job from UNC. Sure, the most likely outcome may be small firm, or state government or county DA/public defender (to be fair, a lot of people want those things and go to UNC for the low debt load to reach them). I go to UNC and know very few people who seem like they will end up at small firms, though they will probably make the same amount as if they did, just in government or PI work of some sort.

On the other hand, UNC does, according to Law School Transparency put 19.4% in large firms and 5.2% into federal clerkships. That is just under a fourth of the class - so a fourth of the class does, in fact, "get a good paying job from" UNC. Wake, with an overall higher employment score, only puts 16.3% in large firms and 3.8% in federal clerkships.Those are also "good paying jobs". Those numbers represent 2016 graduates, so I would keep an eye on how they change - UNC will probably drop a bit, and Wake will probably rise a bit. A couple of years ago UNC had double the federal clerkship+large firm as Wake, and the gap has closed as UNC has struggled with funding from the legislature. Wake also dropped ~15 spots in the rankings in one year and has worked their way back up - it happens. The non discounted debt from UNC is listed as $70,000 cheaper than Wake per LST, though Wake's willingness to give scholarships may make this a nominal difference.

I go to UNC and know 2Ls going to Skadden, Davis Polk, Clearly, Ropes, King & Spalding, Cahill, Orrick, plenty of others up in New York; a big group going to King & Spalding in AT with others going to Alston & Bird; some going to Ropes Sidley, Covington, Squire Patton Boggs, and Goodwin also among the DC ones; for NC people, typically multiple people, going to Robinson Bradshaw, MVA, McGuireWoods, Winston&Strawn, Smith Anderson, Brooks Pierce, Mayer Brown, Wyrick Robbins, Womble, Parker Poe, Katten and wherever else.

In short, don't go to UNC expecting to get a big firm or federal clerkship, but don't pretend like it's out of the question. Also, while you're most likely to stay in NC, it's not necessarily your destiny. With UNC's low tuition, getting a big firm job with smaller debt payments is pretty sweet if you're in the fourth of people who land one. For the people who got into T10 or T6 schools, even with scholarships, and turned them down for full or almost full rides at UNC, this is definitely a risky, but when it works out, a really nice outcome.

Also to this end, UNC is ranked 28th in the last ATL ranking, which focuses on the employment outcomes that TLS is focused on. Wake Forest is 49th. Surely Wake will do better this year, and UNC will fall, but UNC had already fallen a good deal by the time this 28 ranking came out.

Go find the numbers yourself, UNC publishes full ABA reports unlike most other schools, including Wake, so for better or for worse you will be informed. Use Law School Transparency, talk to people at places you want to work,

HangingAround

Post by HangingAround » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:26 pm

Just FYI - new employment stats show Wake Forest BL + Fed Clerk at ~20% while UNC is ~31% (increase of about 7%).

http://career.law.wfu.edu/files/2018/04 ... ummary.pdf

http://www.law.unc.edu/documents/career ... april6.pdf

myst_01

Post by myst_01 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi, is anyone still active here? I have just put in the first deposit... so excited! Thanks HangingAround for all that info - I followed some of your older posts too and all the threads have been super insightful.. it's really helpful to read and learn from current students perspectives! If you are still checking in, do you mind talking more about transitioning into law school? I have heard about the LEAP program for example, did you take it? Also, I know 1L OCI is pretty far right now, but could you maybe share some highlights of your experience?

HangingAround

Post by HangingAround » Sat May 19, 2018 10:22 am

myst_01 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:50 pm
Hi, is anyone still active here? I have just put in the first deposit... so excited! Thanks HangingAround for all that info - I followed some of your older posts too and all the threads have been super insightful.. it's really helpful to read and learn from current students perspectives! If you are still checking in, do you mind talking more about transitioning into law school? I have heard about the LEAP program for example, did you take it? Also, I know 1L OCI is pretty far right now, but could you maybe share some highlights of your experience?
Glad it helped. I didn't do LEAP but I think the people who did found it helpful.I read getting to maybe and figured out how OneNote worked, but otherwise I don't think there's much to do. A lot is thrown at you at once with class, constant lunch meetings, the career development office having events, and even getting signed up and used to the legal databases and all. I would relax now because it's hectic basically all of 1L year.

1L OCI is not huge - it's a great introduction to firms but there is not a ton of hiring. I got one firm job from OCI and one from Symplicity (the job bank). A lot more people will get things from Symplicity than from OCI because it is a lot easier on the organizations to have a listing on Symplicity and then do a callback than it is to send a couple attorneys to do OCIs. I had really high grades, but probably not all that great an interviewer. All my ties are NC. I don't think my OCI was that successful that year, but I'm working this summer with a firm I met (and did a callback with and didn't get) 1L year at OCI that was my dream firm coming in. So it can work out unexpectedly, and it's great practice for 2L OCI which went a lot better for me. Just know the people/firm, be enthusiastic, and unless you have some compelling reason not to be open to learning/experiencing everything they do since you probably don't really know what life is like practicing X kind of law.

The diversity programs in Charlotte and Raleigh are really strong. A ton of people do them and end up with offers for 2L summer, which they take or trade up to other firms. A ton of people do judicial clerkships - I think Newby at the Supreme Court hires 5 1Ls or so a year and people will get federal ones all over. Business court is pretty common. Lots of public interest and some really good in-house spots (like with Credit Suisse and Ingersoll Rand) that are open to everyone. People RA with professors. Everyone figured something out that I know - wasn't much pressure though of course it's nice to get paid at a firm/inhouse. Unfortunately you don't get the broad range of experiences which I somewhat regret but since I want to do transactional work probably, I feel less bad about missing the judicial experience (which you can also pick up in an externship).

myst_01

Post by myst_01 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:02 am

Hi HangingAround! Wow - congratulations on the grades and the job!! It sounds really great! Thanks a ton by the way, for all of it. All your comments are definitely very helpfulI. I am reading Getting to Maybe - but I have a feeling that it will start making much more sense once school starts.

Also, do you know if any of these experiences differ for an international student? Obviously, federal clerkships aside, are summer positions and hiring practices any different for internationals?

HangingAround

Post by HangingAround » Thu May 24, 2018 9:48 pm

myst_01 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:02 am
Hi HangingAround! Wow - congratulations on the grades and the job!! It sounds really great! Thanks a ton by the way, for all of it. All your comments are definitely very helpfulI. I am reading Getting to Maybe - but I have a feeling that it will start making much more sense once school starts.

Also, do you know if any of these experiences differ for an international student? Obviously, federal clerkships aside, are summer positions and hiring practices any different for internationals?
I’m not sure - I think some of the other posters would be able to generally help. For NC firms it will of course be harder since many care about ties. I know nothing about the visa/firm sponsorship of a visa thing I’ve seen come up on the forums before. I don’t really know what the international students did over the summers - most seemed to be planning to return home so I assumee did something there or Kept taking classes. None that I know of worked in those jobs, but I didn’t know our international students well. I wasn’t super involved at school. I would post in other forums or ask UNC for some names of other students.

Maybe some of the old stuff before top law schools went terrible can help you.

myst_01

Post by myst_01 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi HangingAround, thanks again! Yes, I got in touch with the admissions and they introduced me to an alum who has been pretty great about her experiences and stuff!

Thanks again, I am really looking forward to Fall :))