Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

School-specific applicants threads, waiting for results, announcements of acceptances/denials/waitlists.
User avatar
George Marshall
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:10 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by George Marshall » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:45 pm

rhythmofdevotion wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:42 pm
George Marshall wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:47 pm
In!!!!
Congrats! When did you interview?
Thank you! Mid-November

User avatar
Kiskeya
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:45 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by Kiskeya » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:46 pm

In!!!! via phone earlier today

rhythmofdevotion
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by rhythmofdevotion » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:05 pm

Also in via phone this morning! Status checker changed to "application review complete" a few hours before the call. Anyone have info on the scholarship process?

Sash
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by Sash » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:45 pm

If we haven’t gotten an interview request yet is all hope lost? I sent my app in early October and I’m at both 75ths

sunnysidedown
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:57 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by sunnysidedown » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:24 pm

Sash wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:45 pm
If we haven’t gotten an interview request yet is all hope lost? I sent my app in early October and I’m at both 75ths
Wondering the same thing, starting to lose hope... I did go UR2 in late November/early December, though. Did you?

Sash
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by Sash » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:07 pm

sunnysidedown wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:24 pm
Sash wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:45 pm
If we haven’t gotten an interview request yet is all hope lost? I sent my app in early October and I’m at both 75ths
Wondering the same thing, starting to lose hope... I did go UR2 in late November/early December, though. Did you?
Yes I went UR2 the second week of November...maybe they’re just moving really slow this cycle...

NeverEverGiveUp
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:06 pm

How long is cornell’s Interview?
Everyone that got in had to interview? Or who do they send interview requests to?

Sash
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by Sash » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:17 pm

NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:06 pm
How long is cornell’s Interview?
Everyone that got in had to interview? Or who do they send interview requests to?
The dean told me that students who adcomms want to admit are interviewed and as far as I understood all accepted students go through an interview. Although some students who interview are not accepted ie the dean mentioned a student who was clearly being coached and communicating with someone in the background while she was recording her interview...so she wasnt admitted. The interview is a few questions which i think you’re given a minute to answer with 30 seconds given for each to prepare and a couple written questions which I think you get 10 or so minutes for. Other Kira interviews I’ve done took less than 30 min.

rhythmofdevotion
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by rhythmofdevotion » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:01 pm

NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:06 pm
How long is cornell’s Interview?
Everyone that got in had to interview? Or who do they send interview requests to?
I believe mine lasted around 20-30 minutes including the prep time they give you in the beginning. You're on a time limit for each question so it goes by pretty quick.

NeverEverGiveUp
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:28 pm

Sash wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:17 pm
NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:06 pm
How long is cornell’s Interview?
Everyone that got in had to interview? Or who do they send interview requests to?
The dean told me that students who adcomms want to admit are interviewed and as far as I understood all accepted students go through an interview. Although some students who interview are not accepted ie the dean mentioned a student who was clearly being coached and communicating with someone in the background while she was recording her interview...so she wasnt admitted. The interview is a few questions which i think you’re given a minute to answer with 30 seconds given for each to prepare and a couple written questions which I think you get 10 or so minutes for. Other Kira interviews I’ve done took less than 30 min.
Thank you. How soon after the interview do you hear back?
Last edited by NeverEverGiveUp on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackmamba8
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:51 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by blackmamba8 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:21 am

Good luck everyone! Hope to see you in Ithaca next fall. If anyone has questions about Cornell/Ithaca I'd be happy to answer them!

Sash
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by Sash » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:47 am

NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:28 pm
Sash wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:17 pm
NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:06 pm
How long is cornell’s Interview?
Everyone that got in had to interview? Or who do they send interview requests to?
The dean told me that students who adcomms want to admit are interviewed and as far as I understood all accepted students go through an interview. Although some students who interview are not accepted ie the dean mentioned a student who was clearly being coached and communicating with someone in the background while she was recording her interview...so she wasnt admitted. The interview is a few questions which i think you’re given a minute to answer with 30 seconds given for each to prepare and a couple written questions which I think you get 10 or so minutes for. Other Kira interviews I’ve done took less than 30 min.
Thank you. How soon after the interview do you hear back?
Briefly looking at the forums could answer all your questions

NeverEverGiveUp
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:25 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:21 am
Good luck everyone! Hope to see you in Ithaca next fall. If anyone has questions about Cornell/Ithaca I'd be happy to answer them!
Hi, can you please comment on housing? You can PM me too.
Thanks

blackmamba8
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:51 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:32 pm

NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:25 pm
blackmamba8 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:21 am
Good luck everyone! Hope to see you in Ithaca next fall. If anyone has questions about Cornell/Ithaca I'd be happy to answer them!
Hi, can you please comment on housing? You can PM me too.
Thanks
Sure!

Most students live in the neighborhood right next to the law school called Collegetown. Collegetown Terrace (CTT) is probably the most popular place for law students to live. It's like a 15 minute walk to the law school from there, but they have a shuttle that drops you off in front of the law school. Their apartments are nice, but they're pretty expensive. Maplewood Apartments is another complex law students live in. There were some problems first semester with people's places not being ready by their move-in dates, but I've heard the apartments really nice. Less expensive than CTT too.

At the bottom of the hill is the Commons. Some people live there too, but I don't know much about it. I think it's less expensive than Collegetown, though. I live in a complex a couple miles north of campus, close to the mall. It's along a bus route so getting to class is really easy (the bus pass is free your first year and then like $250/year after that). I know a few other people who live up by me and they seem to like it. You get more for your money the further you get away from campus, but it does make socializing a little harder.

Sash
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by Sash » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:56 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:21 am
Good luck everyone! Hope to see you in Ithaca next fall. If anyone has questions about Cornell/Ithaca I'd be happy to answer them!
Do you know anything about the JD/LLM degree in international comparative law? There doesn’t seem to be much info on it on the school website other than it’s 20 credits more than the JD and it involves a summer in Paris. Do many students get a JD/LLM? Are there a lot of Cornell law alum working abroad?

Sash
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by Sash » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:57 pm

-
Last edited by Sash on Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeverEverGiveUp
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Sash wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:57 pm
Got an interview request! Woooo!!!
Congrats! You will do well.

NeverEverGiveUp
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:00 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:32 pm
NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:25 pm
blackmamba8 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:21 am
Good luck everyone! Hope to see you in Ithaca next fall. If anyone has questions about Cornell/Ithaca I'd be happy to answer them!
Hi, can you please comment on housing? You can PM me too.
Thanks
Sure!

Most students live in the neighborhood right next to the law school called Collegetown. Collegetown Terrace (CTT) is probably the most popular place for law students to live. It's like a 15 minute walk to the law school from there, but they have a shuttle that drops you off in front of the law school. Their apartments are nice, but they're pretty expensive. Maplewood Apartments is another complex law students live in. There were some problems first semester with people's places not being ready by their move-in dates, but I've heard the apartments really nice. Less expensive than CTT too.

At the bottom of the hill is the Commons. Some people live there too, but I don't know much about it. I think it's less expensive than Collegetown, though. I live in a complex a couple miles north of campus, close to the mall. It's along a bus route so getting to class is really easy (the bus pass is free your first year and then like $250/year after that). I know a few other people who live up by me and they seem to like it. You get more for your money the further you get away from campus, but it does make socializing a little harder.
Thanks! ☺️ How does rent compare to nyc?
Somebody is going to say, I should google... but it is nice to have all that info right here with people giving their input.

blackmamba8
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:51 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:14 pm

Sash wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:56 pm
blackmamba8 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:21 am
Good luck everyone! Hope to see you in Ithaca next fall. If anyone has questions about Cornell/Ithaca I'd be happy to answer them!
Do you know anything about the JD/LLM degree in international comparative law? There doesn’t seem to be much info on it on the school website other than it’s 20 credits more than the JD and it involves a summer in Paris. Do many students get a JD/LLM? Are there a lot of Cornell law alum working abroad?
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about that program, so I won't be much help on that. I don't know of anyone getting a JD/LLM, so I don't know how popular it is. The most popular dual degree program seems to be the JD/MBA one. I know a few people doing that. The class of 2018 had 7/202 students working abroad, but I don't know if there are a lot of alums working abroad.

blackmamba8
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:51 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:18 pm

NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:00 pm
blackmamba8 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:32 pm
NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:25 pm
blackmamba8 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:21 am
Good luck everyone! Hope to see you in Ithaca next fall. If anyone has questions about Cornell/Ithaca I'd be happy to answer them!
Hi, can you please comment on housing? You can PM me too.
Thanks
Sure!

Most students live in the neighborhood right next to the law school called Collegetown. Collegetown Terrace (CTT) is probably the most popular place for law students to live. It's like a 15 minute walk to the law school from there, but they have a shuttle that drops you off in front of the law school. Their apartments are nice, but they're pretty expensive. Maplewood Apartments is another complex law students live in. There were some problems first semester with people's places not being ready by their move-in dates, but I've heard the apartments really nice. Less expensive than CTT too.

At the bottom of the hill is the Commons. Some people live there too, but I don't know much about it. I think it's less expensive than Collegetown, though. I live in a complex a couple miles north of campus, close to the mall. It's along a bus route so getting to class is really easy (the bus pass is free your first year and then like $250/year after that). I know a few other people who live up by me and they seem to like it. You get more for your money the further you get away from campus, but it does make socializing a little harder.
Thanks! ☺️ How does rent compare to nyc?
Somebody is going to say, I should google... but it is nice to have all that info right here with people giving their input.
Rent is more expensive than you'd expect for upstate New York. When I toured CTT last spring their studios were renting for ~1600. Studios at Maplewood start around $1050 and 1 bedrooms start around $1210. I pay a little over $1300 for my 1 bedroom. Apartments go quick in Ithaca so if you end up deciding on Cornell you should look for housing sooner rather than later.

NeverEverGiveUp
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:23 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:18 pm
NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:00 pm
blackmamba8 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:32 pm
NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:25 pm
blackmamba8 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:21 am
Good luck everyone! Hope to see you in Ithaca next fall. If anyone has questions about Cornell/Ithaca I'd be happy to answer them!
Hi, can you please comment on housing? You can PM me too.
Thanks
Sure!

Most students live in the neighborhood right next to the law school called Collegetown. Collegetown Terrace (CTT) is probably the most popular place for law students to live. It's like a 15 minute walk to the law school from there, but they have a shuttle that drops you off in front of the law school. Their apartments are nice, but they're pretty expensive. Maplewood Apartments is another complex law students live in. There were some problems first semester with people's places not being ready by their move-in dates, but I've heard the apartments really nice. Less expensive than CTT too.

At the bottom of the hill is the Commons. Some people live there too, but I don't know much about it. I think it's less expensive than Collegetown, though. I live in a complex a couple miles north of campus, close to the mall. It's along a bus route so getting to class is really easy (the bus pass is free your first year and then like $250/year after that). I know a few other people who live up by me and they seem to like it. You get more for your money the further you get away from campus, but it does make socializing a little harder.
Thanks! ☺️ How does rent compare to nyc?
Somebody is going to say, I should google... but it is nice to have all that info right here with people giving their input.
Rent is more expensive than you'd expect for upstate New York. When I toured CTT last spring their studios were renting for ~1600. Studios at Maplewood start around $1050 and 1 bedrooms start around $1210. I pay a little over $1300 foreign my 1 bedroom. Apartments go quick in Ithaca so if you end up deciding on Cornell you should look for housing sooner rather than later.
Oh my... I thought the answer to “why Ithaca” was the lower rent lol

NeverEverGiveUp
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:59 am

Anyone attending asw? Should we have a different forum for admitted students?

separk5567
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:41 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by separk5567 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:50 am

I got an email telling me to send them an email back if I still have an interest in Cornell law within 2 weeks. Then, they'll review my application again. I've been getting this kind of email from a few schools that basically told me to wait a little bit more until they reach a final decision on my file. Is this kind of notification equivalent of being waitlisted? Or do they specifically tell you that you're on the waitlist, if you are waitlisted?

HopefullyDefinitely
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:35 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by HopefullyDefinitely » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:37 pm

Hi everyone! did any other admitted applicants get an invitation to apply to the CEHS scholarship? Not sure how excited I should get...

lmb38
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:02 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by lmb38 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:14 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:32 pm
NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:25 pm
blackmamba8 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:21 am
Good luck everyone! Hope to see you in Ithaca next fall. If anyone has questions about Cornell/Ithaca I'd be happy to answer them!
Hi, can you please comment on housing? You can PM me too.
Thanks
Sure!

Most students live in the neighborhood right next to the law school called Collegetown. Collegetown Terrace (CTT) is probably the most popular place for law students to live. It's like a 15 minute walk to the law school from there, but they have a shuttle that drops you off in front of the law school. Their apartments are nice, but they're pretty expensive. Maplewood Apartments is another complex law students live in. There were some problems first semester with people's places not being ready by their move-in dates, but I've heard the apartments really nice. Less expensive than CTT too.

At the bottom of the hill is the Commons. Some people live there too, but I don't know much about it. I think it's less expensive than Collegetown, though. I live in a complex a couple miles north of campus, close to the mall. It's along a bus route so getting to class is really easy (the bus pass is free your first year and then like $250/year after that). I know a few other people who live up by me and they seem to like it. You get more for your money the further you get away from campus, but it does make socializing a little harder.
This is SO helpful - thank you for the info! Maplewood seems like it would be perfect for 1L for me. I didn't see info for CTT re: pets, but I have a dog that will be coming with me and love that Maplewood is pet friendly! And seems like for 1L, a furnished apartment close to campus would be ideal. Not terrible rates either if you go up to 2+ bedrooms. Thank you!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests