Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

School-specific applicants threads, waiting for results, announcements of acceptances/denials/waitlists.
merintil

Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by merintil » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:45 pm

Cornell Law Website: http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/

Cornell ABA 509 Report: http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/about/ ... -20-50.pdf

Status Checker: http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admiss ... status.cfm

C/O 2021 Stats:
LSAT: ??=75th/167=50th/??=25th
GPA: ??=75th/3.82=50th/??=25th

2018 Tuition: $65,456

SadCowboysFan

Re: Cornell c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by SadCowboysFan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:08 am

Checking in!

merintil

Post by merintil » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:57 am

So the date on my status checker changed from when I submitted in September.

I am expecting a rejection (would be the first one of the cycle!), but from what I have read, there are others who have gone "UR2" and have received interview requests.

Here's to hoping!

Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten

Post by Mikey » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:30 am

Current Cornell 1L. Feel free to ask me anything either here or by PM!

Good luck!

merintil

Post by merintil » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:46 am

Mikey wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:30 am

Good luck!
Thank you for taking the time to answer questions!

How far away from the undergraduate campus is the law school? Or are they pretty integrated?

How expensive are housing options near the campus?

Also, how's the weather?

Lots of questions in this initial salvo, but they are the first ones to popped in my head.

Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten

Post by Mikey » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:12 am

merintil wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:46 am
Mikey wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:30 am

Good luck!
Thank you for taking the time to answer questions!

How far away from the undergraduate campus is the law school? Or are they pretty integrated?

How expensive are housing options near the campus?

Also, how's the weather?

Lots of questions in this initial salvo, but they are the first ones to popped in my head.
Np! This is a good distraction from things I need to do but don't feel like doing. LMAO.

The law school is integrated into the rest of campus but is kind of in its own section because it's at the end of the campus and is right next to Collegetown, but is still surrounded by UG buildings. If that makes any sense? I like where it is located because CTown is literally a 2-minute walk and it is a good break from the school (even if you do see people you know out there lol).

So housing-wise, it really depends on where you live. I'm no expert on the market as I didn't look at too many places, but if you plan on living in Collegtown or Downtown, I think you may be spending a bit more than others as CTown and Downtown are the hot spots for hanging out. However, I am sure if you have roommates and you guys find a decently-priced place it won't be so bad. Me for example, I live on North Campus (grad housing) and pay about 1100 for a spacious 1BR (everything included). It is on campus, but it is not close to the law school. The law school is more on the south end of campus and I'm far north, so it's a commute but the buses are pretty good here and it's only about 15-20 mins away.

The weather is fine at the moment, but that is just my opinion. It is getting colder, but it is not TOO bad as of right now, but I've heard it gets worse. I am used to cold weather but apparently the winters here are brutal. (yay :roll: )

merintil

Post by merintil » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:33 am

Mikey wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:12 am
Np! This is a good distraction from things I need to do but don't feel like doing. LMAO.

The law school is integrated into the rest of campus but is kind of in its own section because it's at the end of the campus and is right next to Collegetown, but is still surrounded by UG buildings. If that makes any sense? I like where it is located because CTown is literally a 2-minute walk and it is a good break from the school (even if you do see people you know out there lol).

So housing-wise, it really depends on where you live. I'm no expert on the market as I didn't look at too many places, but if you plan on living in Collegtown or Downtown, I think you may be spending a bit more than others as CTown and Downtown are the hot spots for hanging out. However, I am sure if you have roommates and you guys find a decently-priced place it won't be so bad. Me for example, I live on North Campus (grad housing) and pay about 1100 for a spacious 1BR (everything included). It is on campus, but it is not close to the law school. The law school is more on the south end of campus and I'm far north, so it's a commute but the buses are pretty good here and it's only about 15-20 mins away.

The weather is fine at the moment, but that is just my opinion. It is getting colder, but it is not TOO bad as of right now, but I've heard it gets worse. I am used to cold weather but apparently the winters here are brutal. (yay :roll: )
Thanks for the answer!

How do you like classes so far?

Also, what do you think is a highlight of Cornell (thus far) and the worst part of Cornell? I don't know if you have had enough time at Cornell to answer this question, but I figured I could just ask it.

Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten

Post by Mikey » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:05 pm

merintil wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:33 am
Thanks for the answer!

How do you like classes so far?

Also, what do you think is a highlight of Cornell (thus far) and the worst part of Cornell? I don't know if you have had enough time at Cornell to answer this question, but I figured I could just ask it.
Classes are ok. I like property and contracts, civ pro is tough (it's kicking my ass tbh), and con law is ehh depending on the day. Some days I enjoy con law, some other days I just don't. And then lawyering (legal writing and research) is its own beast and will suck up a lot of your time once you get assigned memos.

I think the biggest highlight is the people. The vast majority of people I have met are super nice and willing to help if you seek it. It is not really all that competitive here in the sense that people are out to screw with their classmates. It's obviously competitive in the sense that people want to do well (but that is just a general law school thing obviously), but not to the extent where someone will backstab someone to get ahead. With that said, while most here won't do shitty things to others to get ahead, it can definitely happen just like it would at any other school. The vibe here is just very different than a lot of other places bc it is very communal, which is cool imo. Most people here tend to be very social as well, which is a plus! Also, most of the faculty I have met are also very very nice, which I immediately noticed when I got here.

Worst part? Honestly, it sounds cliché but the amount of work you get as a 1L. It's one thing to hear about how much work it is and knowing that it is a lot of work (like me when I was a 0L thinking "yeah it's a lot of work but whatever!")... But actually being in the position to have to do it and experience it is a very different thing. Biggest tip is time management, it is key. I was never organized before law school, but I feel like the things you have to do here, you are kind of forced to organize and manage your time whether you like it or not. With that said, the workload feels like a lot when you start (it is), but at least for me, I caught on pretty quickly with what is important when reading and what I needed to get done before other things. So the workload didn't get easier, it just became way more manageable. We are at a point in the semester where the amount of time put in is ramping up as finals approach, bc we are more worried now with practice tests, outlining, our next memo, and keeping up with what is happening in class. Also, the low amount of guidance you get in law school sucks, you really do have to figure a lot of shit out on your own (of course with some help from upperclassmen, who are VERY helpful here btw!--there's dope mentor programs here) but that's just the way it works.

merintil

Post by merintil » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:35 pm

Mikey wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:05 pm
Classes are ok. I like property and contracts, civ pro is tough (it's kicking my ass tbh), and con law is ehh depending on the day. Some days I enjoy con law, some other days I just don't. And then lawyering (legal writing and research) is its own beast and will suck up a lot of your time once you get assigned memos.

I think the biggest highlight is the people. The vast majority of people I have met are super nice and willing to help if you seek it. It is not really all that competitive here in the sense that people are out to screw with their classmates. It's obviously competitive in the sense that people want to do well (but that is just a general law school thing obviously), but not to the extent where someone will backstab someone to get ahead. With that said, while most here won't do shitty things to others to get ahead, it can definitely happen just like it would at any other school. The vibe here is just very different than a lot of other places bc it is very communal, which is cool imo. Most people here tend to be very social as well, which is a plus! Also, most of the faculty I have met are also very very nice, which I immediately noticed when I got here.

Worst part? Honestly, it sounds cliché but the amount of work you get as a 1L. It's one thing to hear about how much work it is and knowing that it is a lot of work (like me when I was a 0L thinking "yeah it's a lot of work but whatever!")... But actually being in the position to have to do it and experience it is a very different thing. Biggest tip is time management, it is key. I was never organized before law school, but I feel like the things you have to do here, you are kind of forced to organize and manage your time whether you like it or not. With that said, the workload feels like a lot when you start (it is), but at least for me, I caught on pretty quickly with what is important when reading and what I needed to get done before other things. So the workload didn't get easier, it just became way more manageable. We are at a point in the semester where the amount of time put in is ramping up as finals approach, bc we are more worried now with practice tests, outlining, our next memo, and keeping up with what is happening in class. Also, the low amount of guidance you get in law school sucks, you really do have to figure a lot of shit out on your own (of course with some help from upperclassmen, who are VERY helpful here btw!--there's dope mentor programs here) but that's just the way it works.
Again, thank you for the in-depth answers! Cornell sounds like an awesome place for learning (from the communal atmosphere to the mentorship programs), despite the amount of work (though that does seem to be universal for all schools). I am not sure if I should be worried about time management as I definitely haven't experienced law school. Perhaps that is something I can work on beforehand? Anyways, I fully expect to get dinged here, haha, but right now, I can live the dream by asking questions and somewhat living vicariously through your answers.

Some final questions (for now):

Is the lawyering class graded?

Also, do you recommend doing anything in advance to prepare for law school?

Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten

Post by Mikey » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:18 pm

merintil wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:35 pm
Again, thank you for the in-depth answers! Cornell sounds like an awesome place for learning (from the communal atmosphere to the mentorship programs), despite the amount of work (though that does seem to be universal for all schools). I am not sure if I should be worried about time management as I definitely haven't experienced law school. Perhaps that is something I can work on beforehand? Anyways, I fully expect to get dinged here, haha, but right now, I can live the dream by asking questions and somewhat living vicariously through your answers.

Some final questions (for now):

Is the lawyering class graded?

Also, do you recommend doing anything in advance to prepare for law school?
I mean, imo time management isn't much of a difficult thing to wrap your head around. If you can get used to it before law school then that works. But if you don't, I don't think it is a big deal as you can just adapt to it when you start school.

Yeah, lawyering is graded here. It's not that big of a deal, though, so if you get in I definitely recommend not letting that be a huge factor in not choosing Cornell.

Tbh, before law school just try to chill as much as you can and do things you enjoy. Although many 0L's may think there is no time in law school to do anything fun, this is not true AT ALL. There is plenty of time to chill and have fun, but enjoy doing things as much as you can before school starts bc you'll be much busier here, obv. Also, the books Getting to maybe and 1L of a ride are pretty good, I recommend reading them (leisurely, not in a library or anything). Also, this may seem like a very simple thing and you may think you are a very fast typer (you may or may not be), but you will need to know how to type FAST for exams. So I recommend getting faster at typing before you get to law school.

BetterCallDonna

Post by BetterCallDonna » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:31 pm

Checking in- submitted last week.

merintil

Post by merintil » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:27 am

Someone on reddit got accepted!

Didn't even realize that interview requests have gone out already.

welp

Post by welp » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:08 pm

Interview invite! So excited :)

merintil

Post by merintil » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:09 pm

welp wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:08 pm
Interview invite! So excited :)
Congrats! Good luck on the interview!

SadCowboysFan

Post by SadCowboysFan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:12 pm

Interview invite as well!

nidoking

Post by nidoking » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:31 pm

Those getting interview invites, when did you submit? Congrats!

SadCowboysFan

Post by SadCowboysFan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:24 pm

nidoking wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:31 pm
Those getting interview invites, when did you submit? Congrats!
I went complete on 9/28.

welp

Post by welp » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:40 am

I think I underwhelmed on the interview :( not expecting much

I got nervous and kept forgetting to closely monitor the timer -- got cut off twice mid-sentence

Lankhs

Post by Lankhs » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:02 am

My interview was basura :'( hope Cornell still loves me.

pioneer1234

Post by pioneer1234 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:53 pm

Interview invite today.

pipedream

Post by pipedream » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:58 pm

Glad to see some movement here. I've been stuck on "waiting for review" since 9/4 (ugggh...)

Lankhs

Post by Lankhs » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:00 pm

last year, Cornell had already admitted a good number of people through RD by this point. what do you guys think it means that they haven't yet?

BetterCallDonna

Post by BetterCallDonna » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:35 pm

Lankhs wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:00 pm
last year, Cornell had already admitted a good number of people through RD by this point. what do you guys think it means that they haven't yet?
Probably that they over-admitted last cycle and are being more cautious this time around. Don't have stats to back this up though.

jerrycallow

Post by jerrycallow » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:00 pm

Hey I believe it was Spivey that told me recently that they did go over a bit with enrollment last cycle. This is true for several schools especially Vanderbilt

SadCowboysFan

Post by SadCowboysFan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Hoping we see some movement tomorrow. In the past, they've done waves of acceptances exactly a week after the interview waves. Maybe by slowing down, they are doing a wave of acceptances after two waves of interviews (10/31 and 11/7).