UCLA c/o 2022 Applicants

School-specific applicants threads, waiting for results, announcements of acceptances/denials/waitlists.
merintil

Re: UCLA c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by merintil » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:29 pm

LS_2018 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:12 pm
Hey guys. Happy to report that I was admitted to UCLA on September 20th!

I'll respond to PMs for stats.
Congratulations! Are you the same user on LSN who was admitted on the 20th?

LS_2018

Post by LS_2018 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:45 pm

merintil wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:29 pm
LS_2018 wrote:

Congratulations! Are you the same user on LSN who was admitted on the 20th?
Nope. They must've sent out multiple acceptances on the 20th.

Thank you!

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:07 pm

LS_2018 wrote:

Congratulations! That's awesome.

merintil

Post by merintil » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:53 am

Looks like another acceptance was posted yesterday. The applicant had really impressive stats!

merintil

Post by merintil » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:46 pm

Some movement today on both reddit and LSN. Hope this means a wave!

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:02 pm

merintil wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:46 pm
Hopefully you hear back soon! I'm still crossing my fingers about the full-tuition scholly. It's a long shot, but I'm hoping to at least make it to the interview stage. Maybe my charming smile will convince them to give me $$$$. ;)

merintil

Post by merintil » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:37 pm

Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:02 pm
merintil wrote:
Hopefully you hear back soon! I'm still crossing my fingers about the full-tuition scholly. It's a long shot, but I'm hoping to at least make it to the interview stage. Maybe my charming smile will convince them to give me $$$$. ;)
Thank you! I think I missed this wave, but there's always next week!

I hope you get a shot at that interview! I am sure you can regale them with tales about how you became the foremost expert on Princeton Law!

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:56 pm

merintil wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:37 pm
Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:02 pm
merintil wrote:
Thank you! I think I missed this wave, but there's always next week!

I hope you get a shot at that interview! I am sure you can regale them with tales about how you became the foremost expert on Princeton Law!
I've had a long and storied career as the resident Princeton Law expert!

Gitaroo_Dude

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Sorry for the late replies, got caught up in work.
merintil wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:00 pm
Thank you for taking the time to answer questions! What aspect of UCLA do you value the most thus far? Also, how feasible is it for someone to get LA Big Law without ties to LA (outside of attending UCLA). Is someone at median able to get LA Big Law?
Cliche as it sounds, the most valuable part is the people. The law is going to be the law wherever you go, but I really like the environment here. There's a definite "laid-back" vibe that comes from being in SoCal. People are driven and bright but I never felt like it was at my expense. I feel like people have a lot of diverse interests here, so I was able to find other people who shared my hobbies and stuff and form groups around that. It made 1L really enjoyable for the most part.

Feasibility of LA big law is proportional to your grades. If you attend UCLA, it's pretty doable. As long as you interview well and are above median you'll have a good shot. If you're at median then it's kind of a crapshoot. People land biglaw at median but it's a mix of interviewing, resume strength, luck, etc. Networking is key if you're at median (so you'll need to begin networking in Spring semester at least). That said, I had pretty good grades but completely struck out on LA biglaw (though I only applied to the top firms, so that's part of why I struck out).

If you're at a non-T13 and a non-USC/UCLA school, it could be difficult. LA is actually a relatively small market compared to NYC and DC, so there aren't a lot of biglaw jobs available (roughly 300 in a given summer).

Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:01 am
On the flip-side of this question, what do you see as the biggest flaw of the program at UCLA?
I'm not a fan of graded Legal Research and Writing. I think it's the most stressful part of 1L because the memos take a lot of time, and you're not really sure what the professor wants at first, and this is all with the pressure of knowing your grade hinges on a final memo each semester. I think making it non-graded would allow people to develop their writing skills without the fear of the curve bearing down on them.

merintil

Post by merintil » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:42 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:32 pm
merintil wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:00 pm
Thank you for taking the time to answer questions! What aspect of UCLA do you value the most thus far? Also, how feasible is it for someone to get LA Big Law without ties to LA (outside of attending UCLA). Is someone at median able to get LA Big Law?
Cliche as it sounds, the most valuable part is the people. The law is going to be the law wherever you go, but I really like the environment here. There's a definite "laid-back" vibe that comes from being in SoCal. People are driven and bright but I never felt like it was at my expense. I feel like people have a lot of diverse interests here, so I was able to find other people who shared my hobbies and stuff and form groups around that. It made 1L really enjoyable for the most part.

Feasibility of LA big law is proportional to your grades. If you attend UCLA, it's pretty doable. As long as you interview well and are above median you'll have a good shot. If you're at median then it's kind of a crapshoot. People land biglaw at median but it's a mix of interviewing, resume strength, luck, etc. Networking is key if you're at median (so you'll need to begin networking in Spring semester at least). That said, I had pretty good grades but completely struck out on LA biglaw (though I only applied to the top firms, so that's part of why I struck out).

If you're at a non-T13 and a non-USC/UCLA school, it could be difficult. LA is actually a relatively small market compared to NYC and DC, so there aren't a lot of biglaw jobs available (roughly 300 in a given summer).

Prudent_Jurist wrote:
On the flip-side of this question, what do you see as the biggest flaw of the program at UCLA?
I'm not a fan of graded Legal Research and Writing. I think it's the most stressful part of 1L because the memos take a lot of time, and you're not really sure what the professor wants at first, and this is all with the pressure of knowing your grade hinges on a final memo each semester. I think making it non-graded would allow people to develop their writing skills without the fear of the curve bearing down on them.
Thank you for the response! Do you mind if I ask where you are working now?

Also, how difficult is shooting for DC big law at UCLA?

Gitaroo_Dude

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:54 pm

merintil wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:42 pm

I'll be summering for a biglaw firm in SF next summer.

DC biglaw seems pretty difficult. The school started a Spring Break trip to DC for students to network with firms and attorneys there, which should help; they subsidize the cost of travel and put you in touch with a lot of firms through mixers and firm events. But anecdotally I don't know anyone who landed a DC biglaw job (nor do I know anyone who applied for them tbh).

merintil

Post by merintil » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:25 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:54 pm
merintil wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:42 pm

I'll be summering for a biglaw firm in SF next summer.

DC biglaw seems pretty difficult. The school started a Spring Break trip to DC for students to network with firms and attorneys there, which should help; they subsidize the cost of travel and put you in touch with a lot of firms through mixers and firm events. But anecdotally I don't know anyone who landed a DC biglaw job (nor do I know anyone who applied for them tbh).
That's awesome! Congratulations.

I don't think I am too surprised by this information; though, I suspect that if I get accepted to UCLA, I would probably want to stay in the West Coast rather than return back here. I don't have any other questions, but if I do, I'll quote/ping you on this thread! Thank you very much for the answers!

GavelOut

Post by GavelOut » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:11 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Prudent_Jurist wrote:
This x1000. UCLA 1L here.

Other than that, loving it. 1L faculty is amazing, cohort is intelligent and inspiring and diverse; administration is very supportive

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:26 am

GavelOut wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:11 pm
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Prudent_Jurist wrote:
This x1000. UCLA 1L here.

Other than that, loving it. 1L faculty is amazing, cohort is intelligent and inspiring and diverse; administration is very supportive
How's your living situation? What do sense is the general quality of life for most students?

I currently live in San Francisco, so I'm totally accustomed to high cost of living. But I'm curious what the quality of life is living around UCLA. Thanks!

GavelOut

Post by GavelOut » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:07 pm

I've lived in LA for a few years, but also have lived in the East Bay. I think quality of life is very high and I definitely prefer LA to the obnoxious tech douches in the bay (and I say that as someone who worked in tech). Life is what you would expect in LA. The first few weeks, groups were going to the beach, hiking, etc, and still do (though less so). A lot of outdoors activities; many people study outside in the Law courtyard or nearby. People work hard, but nobody is overly competitive or pretentious. Everyone is very warm and friendly. I suggest living close to campus; traffic in Westwood is no joke. And yes it is expensive. Food is great here, lots of diversity.

merintil

Post by merintil » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:38 pm

GavelOut wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:07 pm
I've lived in LA for a few years, but also have lived in the East Bay. I think quality of life is very high and I definitely prefer LA to the obnoxious tech douches in the bay (and I say that as someone who worked in tech). Life is what you would expect in LA. The first few weeks, groups were going to the beach, hiking, etc, and still do (though less so). A lot of outdoors activities; many people study outside in the Law courtyard or nearby. People work hard, but nobody is overly competitive or pretentious. Everyone is very warm and friendly. I suggest living close to campus; traffic in Westwood is no joke. And yes it is expensive. Food is great here, lots of diversity.
How often do people go to Koreatown? I am a little amazed by how big LA is, and it seems like UCLA is a little far from K-Town.

Though, I also have little sense of distance.

On a related question, where do most people live in their 1L year?

GavelOut

Post by GavelOut » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:29 pm

merintil wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:38 pm
GavelOut wrote:
How often do people go to Koreatown? I am a little amazed by how big LA is, and it seems like UCLA is a little far from K-Town.

I think a few people live there but not many; it would not be a great daily commute. But its a fun spot for a night out on a weekend so i'm sure people do that occasionally.

About half of my section lives in the University-owned Weyburn apartments, most other people live in West LA/Brentwood/Westwood village/Palms. A few commute from family homes in the Valley, South Bay, or Pasadena area (not recommended, unless you use the traffic as motivation to come early and stay late to study)

Gitaroo_Dude

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:51 am

merintil wrote:

That'll be someone dependent on what year you're in. For 1Ls, they can probably only make it out there on weekends. KTown is about a ~50 minute drive one-way from the Westside on weeknights, so it's tough to head out there and still have time for work. My GF and I head out there about once a week for dinner or groceries, so once you're a 2L I think it's easier to head out there more often (and enjoy other parts of LA too).

But in general, it's hard to reach other neighborhoods of LA quickly. There's not much distance in between the different parts (West side, KTown, Downtown, East side, etc) but the traffic just sucks.

merintil

Post by merintil » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:24 pm

GavelOut wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:29 pm
merintil wrote:
GavelOut wrote:

I think a few people live there but not many; it would not be a great daily commute. But its a fun spot for a night out on a weekend so i'm sure people do that occasionally.

About half of my section lives in the University-owned Weyburn apartments, most other people live in West LA/Brentwood/Westwood village/Palms. A few commute from family homes in the Valley, South Bay, or Pasadena area (not recommended, unless you use the traffic as motivation to come early and stay late to study)
Thank you for the answer! I will most likely live somewhere close to campus. If I do live close to campus, is it worth it to bring my car over to LA? How is public transportation?
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:51 am
merintil wrote:

That'll be someone dependent on what year you're in. For 1Ls, they can probably only make it out there on weekends. KTown is about a ~50 minute drive one-way from the Westside on weeknights, so it's tough to head out there and still have time for work. My GF and I head out there about once a week for dinner or groceries, so once you're a 2L I think it's easier to head out there more often (and enjoy other parts of LA too).

But in general, it's hard to reach other neighborhoods of LA quickly. There's not much distance in between the different parts (West side, KTown, Downtown, East side, etc) but the traffic just sucks.
Thank you for the answer! Hmmm, I think I can deal with that situation! Do you travel by car or by public transit?

So long as I can get my korean bbq every once in a while, I think I will be happy.

jeremybearimy

Post by jeremybearimy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:16 pm

Checking in! Interviewed 10/31.

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:34 pm

jeremybearimy wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:16 pm
Checking in! Interviewed 10/31.
Congrats! Good luck!

GavelOut

Post by GavelOut » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:56 am

merintil wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:24 pm
GavelOut wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:29 pm
merintil wrote:
GavelOut wrote:

Thank you for the answer! I will most likely live somewhere close to campus. If I do live close to campus, is it worth it to bring my car over to LA? How is public transportation?
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:51 am
merintil wrote:

Thank you for the answer! Hmmm, I think I can deal with that situation! Do you travel by car or by public transit?

So long as I can get my korean bbq every once in a while, I think I will be happy.
You will want a car here; the only scenario I can imagine going without is if you lived in Weyburn or Westwood village and plan to work your summers in a different city. Even if you wont need it to commute, you will want it for weekends, clinics, and summer jobs.

That said, bus access is pretty extensive--from Westwood there are direct buses along Wilshire to Santa Monica and Koreatown/downtown, and along Sunset to west hollywood/hollywood. There is also an express bus to the airport. I spent three months without a car while working in LA and it was doable, you just had to allow more time for everything.

merintil

Post by merintil » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:55 pm

GavelOut wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:56 am

You will want a car here; the only scenario I can imagine going without is if you lived in Weyburn or Westwood village and plan to work your summers in a different city. Even if you wont need it to commute, you will want it for weekends, clinics, and summer jobs.

That said, bus access is pretty extensive--from Westwood there are direct buses along Wilshire to Santa Monica and Koreatown/downtown, and along Sunset to west hollywood/hollywood. There is also an express bus to the airport. I spent three months without a car while working in LA and it was doable, you just had to allow more time for everything.
Thanks for the info! If I get lucky enough to be admitted, I'll definitely keep that in mind...

How bad is the traffic near campus? I know that LA itself is pretty bad, but is it the kind of place where traffic grinds to a halt at all times?

I'm wondering if I should sell my manual transmission car and swap to a cheap automatic car so that I won't inadvertently get rock-solid calves on only one leg.

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:28 pm

merintil wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:55 pm

Thanks for the info! If I get lucky enough to be admitted, I'll definitely keep that in mind...

How bad is the traffic near campus? I know that LA itself is pretty bad, but is it the kind of place where traffic grinds to a halt at all times?

I'm wondering if I should sell my manual transmission car and swap to a cheap automatic car so that I won't inadvertently get rock-solid calves on only one leg.
I lived in Santa Barbara and went down to LA often. The 405 that runs near UCLA is a major thoroughfare that also connects to LAX, so it's usually pretty busy. :cry:

merintil

Post by merintil » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:35 pm

Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:28 pm

I lived in Santa Barbara and went down to LA often. The 405 that runs near UCLA is a major thoroughfare that also connects to LAX, so it's usually pretty busy. :cry:
Ouch... Time to start shopping around craigslist!