Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

School-specific applicants threads, waiting for results, announcements of acceptances/denials/waitlists.
User avatar
merintil
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by merintil » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Par0levid3nce wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:38 am
*Cries*

WAIT LISTED

*CRIES AGAIN*

Does anyone have the link to Spivey's wait list survival guide?

*CRIES A THIRD TIME*
Oh no!!!

I'm not sure what that guide is, but here's a list of his waitlist blogs: https://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/tag/waitlist/

Studystudystudy
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:46 am

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by Studystudystudy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:33 pm

merintil wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:32 am
Studystudystudy wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:51 am
UCI is planning to keep the class size of 2022 smaller than 2021. The goal is to always have the total amount of students be less than 600, I believe.
Oh ok! Well, then the increase doesn't seem too bad. In your experience so far as a 1L, do you think that the section sizes or increased amount of students has impacted your education positively? With an increase in students, I would suspect that there would be increased diversity to come along with that as well.
Yes, I absolutely do!

Par0levid3nce
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:24 pm

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by Par0levid3nce » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:55 pm

merintil wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:15 pm
Par0levid3nce wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:38 am
*Cries*

WAIT LISTED

*CRIES AGAIN*

Does anyone have the link to Spivey's wait list survival guide?

*CRIES A THIRD TIME*
Oh no!!!

I'm not sure what that guide is, but here's a list of his waitlist blogs: https://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/tag/waitlist/
Thank you sir! I would stay positive but this isn’t my first time WL’s by Irvine LOL. I plan on visiting the campus after the new year when classes resume.

I hope your cycle is going well!!

User avatar
merintil
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by merintil » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:21 am

Par0levid3nce wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:55 pm
merintil wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:15 pm
Par0levid3nce wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:38 am
*Cries*

WAIT LISTED

*CRIES AGAIN*

Does anyone have the link to Spivey's wait list survival guide?

*CRIES A THIRD TIME*
Oh no!!!

I'm not sure what that guide is, but here's a list of his waitlist blogs: https://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/tag/waitlist/
Thank you sir! I would stay positive but this isn’t my first time WL’s by Irvine LOL. I plan on visiting the campus after the new year when classes resume.

I hope your cycle is going well!!
Maybe you can retake the LSAT? I noticed that they have accepted a lot of people with high scores so far. They might also be a little conservative with their acceptances too so that they don't have as large of a 1L class as this year's.

I think last cycle was an outlier (so far), so there's definitely hope that you can get off the wait list!

Good luck! And thank you, my cycle is going pretty well, and I am leaning towards attending Irvine, but I'll have to do some deep thinking after I visit Irvine and other schools.

mstng9878
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:28 am

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by mstng9878 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:01 am

In at Irvine. Visited the school in the fall and absolutely loved it. I'm a non-traditional applicant (late 40's, second career) committed to public interest. Irvine is very high on my list; however, money will be a factor and, from current offers I've seen posted around the interwebs, a bit tight from UCI right now.

Regardless, very happy to get the acceptance, hoping for the best, and eager to see how this cycle plays out. Zot Zot Zot!

User avatar
merintil
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by merintil » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:18 am

Has anyone had luck with negotiating scholarships with the school? I just received the email to accept their scholarship offer by March 1st, but I am curious if the scholarship offer is a set number.

I heard that Irvine is known for being tough to negotiate with (i.e., incredibly difficult to negotiate). Wasn't sure if other people are feeling the same as me.

mstng9878
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:28 am

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by mstng9878 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:56 pm

So Irvine is basically asking for a commitment (via scholarship) in March? How does that fly with the ABA NET April commitment guidance?

User avatar
merintil
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by merintil » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:03 am

mstng9878 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:56 pm
So Irvine is basically asking for a commitment (via scholarship) in March? How does that fly with the ABA NET April commitment guidance?
Hmmm, well the wording of the email makes it seem like you don't need to accept the scholarship and you can still commit in April.

But, I mean, who would do that?

According to the email, there's no penalty in accepting the scholarship but deciding to not attend Irvine.

What this email means to me is that there may not be any opportunity to negotiate for a higher scholarship.

mstng9878
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:28 am

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by mstng9878 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:29 am

Thanks for the response. That's a bit weird. I have not seen language similar to that in my other scholarship offers. Haven't received my acceptance package yet, but I'm not expecting $ given the reported offers on LSN for this cycle. I'm wondering if its going to be a tough cycle for UCI, given their overbooked class for last year.

User avatar
merintil
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by merintil » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:33 am

mstng9878 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:29 am
Thanks for the response. That's a bit weird. I have not seen language similar to that in my other scholarship offers. Haven't received my acceptance package yet, but I'm not expecting $ given the reported offers on LSN for this cycle. I'm wondering if its going to be a tough cycle for UCI, given their overbooked class for last year.
I haven't seen that kind of language either with my offers. And you may be bringing up a good point. Though, I also wonder if scholarship offers are a little smaller so far because they want to attract more students or if they want to save money to attract students with stellar stats.

If the goal is to always have the total amount of students be less than 600 as a current 1L mentioned, then the school will need to have 162 matriculating students (to equal 550 total students as opposed to the current ~530 students). That would be near equivalent to the 2016-2017 cycle which is pretty much on par in terms of stats with last year's cycle.

Who knows, though. I hope you do receive scholarship money!

mstng9878
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:28 am

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by mstng9878 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:10 am

Received my acceptance package. No $ offer (we are reviewing and will let you know by March). I'm wondering what the man behind the curtain is doing this year. Hoping for something because I really like UCI, but some full rides in hand to schools in the mid-west are looking really attractive right now.

User avatar
merintil
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by merintil » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:32 am

mstng9878 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:10 am
Received my acceptance package. No $ offer (we are reviewing and will let you know by March). I'm wondering what the man behind the curtain is doing this year. Hoping for something because I really like UCI, but some full rides in hand to schools in the mid-west are looking really attractive right now.
Damn. I'm sorry to hear that. There seems to be some speculation on UCI and their smaller scholarship offerings this year, but I can't say why this is the case.

I suspect the school really wants to break into the top 20 (I mean.. what school doesn't?), and perhaps some money is being saved to attract as many competitive applicants as possible (those who are above the 75ths). But, I don't know if I agree. Maybe the school is just balancing out the money that they gave to their initial classes. In any case, I hope that they reconsider their offer to you.

BusinessLaw
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:01 am

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by BusinessLaw » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:30 am

Hello guys,
I had received an offer of 90K and tried to negotiate. I was told I would hear back sometime in March but I heard back yesterday bumping the schol to 120K and selecting me as a Distinguished Decade Scholar. They say it's the highest honor so am wondering I won't get any further bump. This has the privilege of choosing whatever clinic I want in 2L, and a faculty mentor attached in 1L.

Just wanted to check if being a named scholar increases the chances of getting a biglaw position in any way. I mean does the school help you out with gigs by putting in that extra effort or something? I am keen on a biglaw job as I am an international. I have a lower T-14 offer but the aid there is too low for me to consider it. WIth this scholarship offer at Irvine, I will not really NEED a biglaw job to pay back loans but would it would be useful to pay back early.

Pl let me know your views. Thanks

User avatar
merintil
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by merintil » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:23 am

BusinessLaw wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:30 am
Hello guys,
I had received an offer of 90K and tried to negotiate. I was told I would hear back sometime in March but I heard back yesterday bumping the schol to 120K and selecting me as a Distinguished Decade Scholar. They say it's the highest honor so am wondering I won't get any further bump. This has the privilege of choosing whatever clinic I want in 2L, and a faculty mentor attached in 1L.

Just wanted to check if being a named scholar increases the chances of getting a biglaw position in any way. I mean does the school help you out with gigs by putting in that extra effort or something? I am keen on a biglaw job as I am an international. I have a lower T-14 offer but the aid there is too low for me to consider it. WIth this scholarship offer at Irvine, I will not really NEED a biglaw job to pay back loans but would it would be useful to pay back early.

Pl let me know your views. Thanks
First, congrats! That's super awesome!

Second, I am not sure if it will increase your chances, but perhaps you can develop a rapport with your 1L faculty mentor who can give you guidance in obtaining a big law job. Having the ability to choose whatever clinic you want in 2L might help when you do OCI as you can mention it in your interview.

Caveat: I'm a 0L so I might just be talking out of my ass. In any case, the school sees that you have potential and if you do well in OCI, then I'm sure that you will have little issue (assuming you interview well) with OCI.

BusinessLaw
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:01 am

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by BusinessLaw » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:17 pm

merintil wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:23 am
BusinessLaw wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:30 am
Hello guys,
I had received an offer of 90K and tried to negotiate. I was told I would hear back sometime in March but I heard back yesterday bumping the schol to 120K and selecting me as a Distinguished Decade Scholar. They say it's the highest honor so am wondering I won't get any further bump. This has the privilege of choosing whatever clinic I want in 2L, and a faculty mentor attached in 1L.

Just wanted to check if being a named scholar increases the chances of getting a biglaw position in any way. I mean does the school help you out with gigs by putting in that extra effort or something? I am keen on a biglaw job as I am an international. I have a lower T-14 offer but the aid there is too low for me to consider it. WIth this scholarship offer at Irvine, I will not really NEED a biglaw job to pay back loans but would it would be useful to pay back early.

Pl let me know your views. Thanks
First, congrats! That's super awesome!

Second, I am not sure if it will increase your chances, but perhaps you can develop a rapport with your 1L faculty mentor who can give you guidance in obtaining a big law job. Having the ability to choose whatever clinic you want in 2L might help when you do OCI as you can mention it in your interview.

Caveat: I'm a 0L so I might just be talking out of my ass. In any case, the school sees that you have potential and if you do well in OCI, then I'm sure that you will have little issue (assuming you interview well) with OCI.
Hi. Thanks a lot for your wishes and your response. Hmmm I do see merit in your answer but I guess it just depends on how much a leg up I will get with it. Maybe a current student can shed more light. Are you planning to attend uci?

User avatar
merintil
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by merintil » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:34 pm

BusinessLaw wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:17 pm
merintil wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:23 am
BusinessLaw wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:30 am
Hello guys,
I had received an offer of 90K and tried to negotiate. I was told I would hear back sometime in March but I heard back yesterday bumping the schol to 120K and selecting me as a Distinguished Decade Scholar. They say it's the highest honor so am wondering I won't get any further bump. This has the privilege of choosing whatever clinic I want in 2L, and a faculty mentor attached in 1L.

Just wanted to check if being a named scholar increases the chances of getting a biglaw position in any way. I mean does the school help you out with gigs by putting in that extra effort or something? I am keen on a biglaw job as I am an international. I have a lower T-14 offer but the aid there is too low for me to consider it. WIth this scholarship offer at Irvine, I will not really NEED a biglaw job to pay back loans but would it would be useful to pay back early.

Pl let me know your views. Thanks
First, congrats! That's super awesome!

Second, I am not sure if it will increase your chances, but perhaps you can develop a rapport with your 1L faculty mentor who can give you guidance in obtaining a big law job. Having the ability to choose whatever clinic you want in 2L might help when you do OCI as you can mention it in your interview.

Caveat: I'm a 0L so I might just be talking out of my ass. In any case, the school sees that you have potential and if you do well in OCI, then I'm sure that you will have little issue (assuming you interview well) with OCI.
Hi. Thanks a lot for your wishes and your response. Hmmm I do see merit in your answer but I guess it just depends on how much a leg up I will get with it. Maybe a current student can shed more light. Are you planning to attend uci?
I'm considering it! I am leaning towards public interest with though, so I don't know if my perspective would be that helpful

mstng9878
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:28 am

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by mstng9878 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:02 am

Bumping this to see how everyone is doing. I'm hoping that the "review of scholarship budget in March" will mean good news in the form of some $ consideration. Its definitely been a norm-breaking year for the admissions cycle thus far.

User avatar
merintil
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by merintil » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:23 am

I sent an email a week before March for $ negotiation. We'll see what happens, but as it stands, I may not be able to attend at the current price, given that I would be moving from the East coast to the West coast. That is, after some soul searching, I may just want to reside in my current state because it would be much cheaper to attend schools here than in California.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests