Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

School-specific applicants threads, waiting for results, announcements of acceptances/denials/waitlists.
Prudent_Jurist

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Par0levid3nce wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:42 pm
Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:28 am
Par0levid3nce wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:10 am
Submitted last night! ^__^
Welcome to the waiting room! Best of luck to you!
How long was your wait between submitting and receiving confirmation from UCI? I was getting a bit anxious but then I remembered others mention receiving confirmation from UCI *weeks* after, lol.
It was several weeks for me. I think that's the norm.

pagrok

Post by pagrok » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:43 pm

Submitted on Oct 17, no email with login info yet. Wonder when I will get it. From what I'm reading the login/status checker is similar to Davis, so it is weird.

merintil

Post by merintil » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:05 pm

pagrok wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:43 pm
Submitted on Oct 17, no email with login info yet. Wonder when I will get it. From what I'm reading the login/status checker is similar to Davis, so it is weird.
It took Pruden_Jurist and I several weeks before we got the status checker. It's pretty similar to all the other LSAC-hosted status checkers. Davis uses their own checker. Not sure if this is different from other cycles though.

In any case, you'll get the status checker soon! Might take a little bit longer.

pagrok

Post by pagrok » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:16 pm

merintil wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:05 pm
pagrok wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:43 pm
It took Pruden_Jurist and I several weeks before we got the status checker. It's pretty similar to all the other LSAC-hosted status checkers. Davis uses their own checker. Not sure if this is different from other cycles though.

In any case, you'll get the status checker soon! Might take a little bit longer.
Oh that is good to know that it is an LSAC one too. It's so much easier. The Davis one stresses me out.

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:28 pm

Par0levid3nce wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:42 pm
Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:28 am
Par0levid3nce wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:10 am
Submitted last night! ^__^
Welcome to the waiting room! Best of luck to you!
How long was your wait between submitting and receiving confirmation from UCI? I was getting a bit anxious but then I remembered others mention receiving confirmation from UCI *weeks* after, lol.
I think it was about 3-4 weeks between submitting and going complete for me.

Par0levid3nce

Post by Par0levid3nce » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:11 pm

Submitted on October 17th, just got UCI's confirmation email with login info just now ^__^

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:08 pm

Par0levid3nce wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:11 pm
Submitted on October 17th, just got UCI's confirmation email with login info just now ^__^
Excellent timing! Best of luck to you!

pagrok

Post by pagrok » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:48 pm

Par0levid3nce wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:11 pm
I just got it today too, and we applied the same day! Also... mine is "In Review"!!!!! SO EXCITING

Par0levid3nce

Post by Par0levid3nce » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:42 pm

In review as well. Best of luck friend! :D

ThaBlackLord

Post by ThaBlackLord » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:21 pm

Do we have a thread where we can ask questions to a current UCI Law student? I've been looking for a UCI student for months!!!

Studystudystudy

Post by Studystudystudy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:21 pm

ThaBlackLord wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:21 pm
Do we have a thread where we can ask questions to a current UCI Law student? I've been looking for a UCI student for months!!!
I posted earlier in here but, anyways, I am a current 1L so feel free to PM with questions.

merintil

Post by merintil » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:50 pm

Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:08 pm

IIRC, I think you posted your UCI experience on reddit? Kind of a bummer that you had a not-so-great experience...

I went to the forum in DC during the summer, and I spoke with Amanda Smith (briefly). She seemed pretty nice, and I was happy to learn more about the school.

In any case, I hope we hear back soon. According to mylsn.info, back in 2014, several people heard back in the beginning of November, but I don't think that has happened since that time. I guess we might hear back in December?

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:31 pm

merintil wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:50 pm
Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:08 pm

IIRC, I think you posted your UCI experience on reddit? Kind of a bummer that you had a not-so-great experience...

I went to the forum in DC during the summer, and I spoke with Amanda Smith (briefly). She seemed pretty nice, and I was happy to learn more about the school.

In any case, I hope we hear back soon. According to mylsn.info, back in 2014, several people heard back in the beginning of November, but I don't think that has happened since that time. I guess we might hear back in December?
To clarify, I think UCI is a great school, and if it ended up being the best choice for me, I wouldn't mind going there. I had a pleasant experience speaking with adcomms; however, I found that my interests and goals really didn't line up with the school's strengths in the way I thought. I really appreciated that the adcomms were actually forthcoming in pointing that fact out.

merintil

Post by merintil » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:39 pm

Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:31 pm

To clarify, I think UCI is a great school, and if it ended up being the best choice for me, I wouldn't mind going there. I had a pleasant experience speaking with adcomms; however, I found that my interests and goals really didn't line up with the school's strengths in the way I thought. I really appreciated that the adcomms were actually forthcoming in pointing that fact out.
Oh my bad! I kept hearing good and bad things about people's experiences at the forum.

Do you mind if I ask what your interests/goals are? Amanda made it seem like the school is good for a lot of interests, and now I'm wondering if I got bamboozled, haha. I thought their emphasis on clinical education and helping out the local community spoke to me a lot, but now that I think about it, I am not quite sure how that relates with my career goals.

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:52 pm

merintil wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:39 pm
Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:31 pm

Oh my bad! I kept hearing good and bad things about people's experiences at the forum.

Do you mind if I ask what your interests/goals are? Amanda made it seem like the school is good for a lot of interests, and now I'm wondering if I got bamboozled, haha. I thought their emphasis on clinical education and helping out the local community spoke to me a lot, but now that I think about it, I am not quite sure how that relates with my career goals.
I definitely get the sense they're good at clinical education and pro bono/public service experiences. Part of the attraction to Irvine, for me, was the Center for Legal Philosophy, especially since I'm currently a graduate student in philosophy specializing in legal philosophy. It would be awesome if I could remain engaged in academic philosophy while in school. Apparently, though, the law professor overseeing the Center left a couple years ago for another job, so there hasn't really been any concrete leadership, and the website doesn't indicate this.

I'm also interested in health law; however, the adcomm noted that they really only have a smattering of courses in that area and virtually no clinical education experience in the field, which is something I noted on their website. I suppose I needed someone from the school to actually point that out to me. Obviously you don't 'specialize' in law school, so it's not essential that a school has professors researching in this area. Even so, my conversation really checked my enthusiasm for the school.

I fully believe I could go there and come out with gainful employment; however, I could also go to Davis, UCLA, or ASU and have the same result (especially since I'm looking to enter a smaller, noncompetitive legal market). If the classes I take in law school really don't matter that much to my future employment, then I want to make sure I'm going to a place I enjoy. UCLA, for example, has a stellar philosophy program and a concentration in Law and Philosophy. ASU has a specialization in health technology and hosts the western center of the National Association for Health Law and Policy (I think that's the title). They also have a research partnership with the Mayo Clinic location in Phoenix, and a number of professors are researching the ethical and legal ramifications of CRISPR/genetic engineering technologies.

merintil

Post by merintil » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:52 pm

I definitely get the sense they're good at clinical education and pro bono/public service experiences. Part of the attraction to Irvine, for me, was the Center for Legal Philosophy, especially since I'm currently a graduate student in philosophy specializing in legal philosophy. It would be awesome if I could remain engaged in academic philosophy while in school. Apparently, though, the law professor overseeing the Center left a couple years ago for another job, so there hasn't really been any concrete leadership, and the website doesn't indicate this.

I'm also interested in health law; however, the adcomm noted that they really only have a smattering of courses in that area and virtually no clinical education experience in the field, which is something I noted on their website. I suppose I needed someone from the school to actually point that out to me. Obviously you don't 'specialize' in law school, so it's not essential that a school has professors researching in this area. Even so, my conversation really checked my enthusiasm for the school.

I fully believe I could go there and come out with gainful employment; however, I could also go to Davis, UCLA, or ASU and have the same result (especially since I'm looking to enter a smaller, noncompetitive legal market). If the classes I take in law school really don't matter that much to my future employment, then I want to make sure I'm going to a place I enjoy. UCLA, for example, has a stellar philosophy program and a concentration in Law and Philosophy. ASU has a specialization in health technology and hosts the western center of the National Association for Health Law and Policy (I think that's the title). They also have a research partnership with the Mayo Clinic location in Phoenix, and a number of professors are researching the ethical and legal ramifications of CRISPR/genetic engineering technologies.
That makes a lot of sense, and it is unfortunate that the professor overseeing that center left.

I think your goals are pretty awesome! Though, now I wonder if I should have put more thought into what my goals are outside of corporate law.

In any case, I think reading about your goals really hits home the diversity of candidates who want to go to law school and work on a whole kaleidoscope of options.

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:10 pm

merintil wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:06 pm
Prudent_Jurist wrote:

That makes a lot of sense, and it is unfortunate that the professor overseeing that center left.

I think your goals are pretty awesome! Though, now I wonder if I should have put more thought into what my goals are outside of corporate law.

In any case, I think reading about your goals really hits home the diversity of candidates who want to go to law school and work on a whole kaleidoscope of options.
I mean, my career goal is to work in a firm doing something related to health law and policy. Even then, I'd be fine doing other things too. At the end of the day, if I can make money, pay off my debts, and relatively enjoy my work, I'll be fine. :lol:

But I think there's a bifurcation between school and career. I always hear law students and current lawyers talking about how it doesn't really matter what you take in law school (outside of classes directly related to the bar). So, if what I take doesn't generally matter, why not go to schools that have classes I'll really enjoy.

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:11 pm

Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:10 pm
merintil wrote:
Prudent_Jurist wrote:

I mean, my career goal is to work in a firm doing something related to health law and policy. Even then, I'd be fine doing other things too. At the end of the day, if I can make money, pay off my debts, and relatively enjoy my work, I'll be fine. :lol:

But I think there's a bifurcation between school and career. I always hear law students and current lawyers talking about how it doesn't really matter what you take in law school (outside of classes directly related to the bar). So, if what I take doesn't generally matter, why not go to schools that have classes I'll really enjoy. I'll still take the classes I'll need, and some electives that are probably good to have (e.g., tax or insurance for health law).

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:11 pm

merintil wrote:
Prudent_Jurist wrote:

But I think there's a bifurcation between school and career. I always hear law students and current lawyers talking about how it doesn't really matter what you take in law school (outside of classes directly related to the bar). So, if what I take doesn't generally matter, why not go to schools that have classes I'll really enjoy. I'll still take the classes I'll need, and some electives that are probably good to have (e.g., tax or insurance for health law).

Par0levid3nce

Post by Par0levid3nce » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:12 pm

Does anyone remember when Irvine sent out their first batch of decisions in the previous cycles? :3

Par0levid3nce

Post by Par0levid3nce » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:22 am

Crossing my fingers for a UCI wave tomorrow 8)

merintil

Post by merintil » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:15 am

Par0levid3nce wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:12 pm
Does anyone remember when Irvine sent out their first batch of decisions in the previous cycles? :3
I think it ranges from around this time to late November.

I suspect that we will likely see movement in late November, though. Given last year's cycle, the committee will probably want to see more applications before beginning to send out decisions.

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:16 pm

merintil wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:15 am
Par0levid3nce wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:12 pm
I think it ranges from around this time to late November.

I suspect that we will likely see movement in late November, though. Given last year's cycle, the committee will probably want to see more applications before beginning to send out decisions.
I think that's sound reasoning. Also, because of their bump in the rankings, I'm sure they'll be trying to figure out to leverage their applicant pool to at least remain in their current spot, if not make the jump to 20.

Par0levid3nce

Post by Par0levid3nce » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:59 pm

Sounds reasonable to me! Thanks all 😁

merintil

Post by merintil » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:22 pm

Looks like there is some movement according to reddit, though I haven't been blessed with any!