Long-time users: please note that the prosilver and Allanstyle-subsilver styles will be phased out in the coming months due to upcoming site update incompatibilities. If you use either style, you can change back to the default proflat style at any time in your User Control Panel, or simply wait for the update to do so automatically. Thanks for your patience, and apologies to any folks who prefer the old look.

Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

School-specific applicants threads, waiting for results, announcements of acceptances/denials/waitlists.
Par0levid3nce

Re: Irvine c/o 2022 Applicants

Post by Par0levid3nce » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:28 pm

Crossing my fingers for some movement this week .__.

merintil

Post by merintil » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:01 pm

In at Irvine!!! Via status checker

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:18 pm

merintil wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:01 pm
Congratulations! Me too! We've been waiting for this day for what seems like an age.

merintil

Post by merintil » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:20 pm

Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:18 pm
merintil wrote:
Congratulations! Me too! We've been waiting for this day for what seems like an age.
Congratulations to you too! It really does seem like decades ago when we first started messaging on this thread...

Now I want to know when scholarship info will be announced...

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:21 pm

merintil wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:20 pm
Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:18 pm
merintil wrote:
Congratulations to you too! It really does seem like decades ago when we first started messaging on this thread...

Now I want to know when scholarship info will be announced...
Right? Maybe I've become spoiled at this point, but I'm not really excited about acceptances until I see the chunk of change. :lol:

merintil

Post by merintil » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:24 pm

Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:21 pm

Right? Maybe I've become spoiled at this point, but I'm not really excited about acceptances until I see the chunk of change. :lol:
Yeah, now the tables have turned, and us applicants want to be wine and dined! /s

To answer the question, I think I saw in last year's thread that people hear about scholarship info in the mail. Given that I live in the East Coast, I will have to wait a little bit before any mail from California gets sent here.

Prudent_Jurist

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:30 pm

merintil wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:24 pm

Yeah, now the tables have turned, and us applicants want to be wine and dined! /s

To answer the question, I think I saw in last year's thread that people hear about scholarship info in the mail. Given that I live in the East Coast, I will have to wait a little bit before any mail from California gets sent here.
I'm a bit closer than that; so, I'll be sure to let you know (via post here) when I receive mine in the mail! Hopefully it's soon!

merintil

Post by merintil » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:30 pm

I'm a bit closer than that; so, I'll be sure to let you know (via post here) when I receive mine in the mail! Hopefully it's soon!
I hope so too! Last year, I think someone notified the forum around a week after getting admitted.

I wonder if we will also receive an email confirming the acceptance?

I'm going to have to track down any current students at UCI... So many questions to ask!

merintil

Post by merintil » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:35 am

Studystudystudy wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:11 pm
Current 1L if anyone has questions! I will do my best to answer them.
Hello! I am not sure if you are currently undergoing finals, but if you have some time after the finals season, can you answer a few questions for me?

1. What do you like the most so far about Irvine? Conversely, what do you least like so far?

2. How is Orange County in general?

3. Do you happen to know how difficult it is to get into one's desired clinic?

Thank you and good luck on finals!

Par0levid3nce

Post by Par0levid3nce » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:44 pm

I went to UCI for undergrad. I can answer questions about Irvine in general if anyone has any! :D (PLEASE DISTRACT ME FROM WORK AND MY RADIO SILENCE FROM LAW SCHOOLS...).

merintil

Post by merintil » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:05 pm

Par0levid3nce wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:44 pm
I went to UCI for undergrad. I can answer questions about Irvine in general if anyone has any! :D (PLEASE DISTRACT ME FROM WORK AND MY RADIO SILENCE FROM LAW SCHOOLS...).
Hahaha, here are a few questions then! What's Orange County like? Also, what did you like about Irvine's undergraduate community? I am not sure if it's similar to the law school community, but it doesn't hurt to ask I think.

Par0levid3nce

Post by Par0levid3nce » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:46 pm

merintil wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:05 pm
Par0levid3nce wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:44 pm
Hahaha, here are a few questions then! What's Orange County like? Also, what did you like about Irvine's undergraduate community? I am not sure if it's similar to the law school community, but it doesn't hurt to ask I think.
The law school itself is physically isolated from the main undergrad campus. It's just a short walk/shuttle ride away, though I'm not too sure how often law students might need to go to the main campus (unless its a late night at the library. IIRC, the UCI Law library closes before the main library).

UCI for undergrad was alright. Everything in the city of Irvine itself closes at 9pm. We usually went to bars in Fullerton, Costa Mesa, or Huntington for fun. Irvine is 1.5 hrs away from San Diego and just a short drive away from LA, so going to events in either city on weekends wasn't too much of a journey. As an undergrad we had enough freedom from major responsibilities to go raves and party in Vegas every so often. Definitely not the case in law school unless there's some break or special occasion going on LOL.

Irvine is very cookie cutter conservative I guess we can say? I can't speak too much of that because I really didn't pay attention to that in undergrad LOL. Irvine also has a ton of Asian food restaurants which is really nice when you need a boba fix.

Sorry if this was scattered and not what you were looking for. You're welcome to PM me with any specifics like recreation, leisure, or stuff like that.

merintil

Post by merintil » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:32 pm

Par0levid3nce wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:46 pm

The law school itself is physically isolated from the main undergrad campus. It's just a short walk/shuttle ride away, though I'm not too sure how often law students might need to go to the main campus (unless its a late night at the library. IIRC, the UCI Law library closes before the main library).

UCI for undergrad was alright. Everything in the city of Irvine itself closes at 9pm. We usually went to bars in Fullerton, Costa Mesa, or Huntington for fun. Irvine is 1.5 hrs away from San Diego and just a short drive away from LA, so going to events in either city on weekends wasn't too much of a journey. As an undergrad we had enough freedom from major responsibilities to go raves and party in Vegas every so often. Definitely not the case in law school unless there's some break or special occasion going on LOL.

Irvine is very cookie cutter conservative I guess we can say? I can't speak too much of that because I really didn't pay attention to that in undergrad LOL. Irvine also has a ton of Asian food restaurants which is really nice when you need a boba fix.

Sorry if this was scattered and not what you were looking for. You're welcome to PM me with any specifics like recreation, leisure, or stuff like that.
Thank you for the info! I think this gives me a sense of what the school and area is like. Though, I think I'll definitely have to visit the area.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by cookie cutter conservative? I spent a lot of my life in liberal-leaning areas, and I can't really imagine what a conservative-leaning area would look like. I actually didn't really think there would be a difference, haha.

Par0levid3nce

Post by Par0levid3nce » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:19 pm

merintil wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:32 pm
Par0levid3nce wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:46 pm

Thank you for the info! I think this gives me a sense of what the school and area is like. Though, I think I'll definitely have to visit the area.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by cookie cutter conservative? I spent a lot of my life in liberal-leaning areas, and I can't really imagine what a conservative-leaning area would look like. I actually didn't really think there would be a difference, haha.
Yes, so a few things to know about the City of Irvine: it's predominantly Caucasian and Asian, the median household income is in the mid $90k, the houses all look the same, and it's a place where you live when you raise a family--it's THE suburb of suburbs. I guess by cookie cutter conservative I was trying to describe how it's kind of a boring city LOL. Conservative might have been the wrong word to use. Socially, Irvine locals are alright. I never encountered any flack(as far as I know) for being queer, yellow, or having a moderate amount of tattoos. They just drive way too fast.

merintil

Post by merintil » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Par0levid3nce wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:19 pm

Yes, so a few things to know about the City of Irvine: it's predominantly Caucasian and Asian, the median household income is in the mid $90k, the houses all look the same, and it's a place where you live when you raise a family--it's THE suburb of suburbs. I guess by cookie cutter conservative I was trying to describe how it's kind of a boring city LOL. Conservative might have been the wrong word to use. Socially, Irvine locals are alright. I never encountered any flack(as far as I know) for being queer, yellow, or having a moderate amount of tattoos. They just drive way too fast.
Thank you again for the info!

I think I have a better picture of the city now. Who knows if we'll have time to hang out in Irvine while in school, but it is good to know about what it's like. And also to avoid the roads, haha.

Do you happen to know if the law school building is relatively quiet? Also, you mentioned that the law library closes early, does that mean that students can just head over to any other nearby library for late night reading/studying?

Par0levid3nce

Post by Par0levid3nce » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:48 pm

merintil wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:43 pm
Par0levid3nce wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:19 pm

Thank you again for the info!

I think I have a better picture of the city now. Who knows if we'll have time to hang out in Irvine while in school, but it is good to know about what it's like. And also to avoid the roads, haha.

Do you happen to know if the law school building is relatively quiet? Also, you mentioned that the law library closes early, does that mean that students can just head over to any other nearby library for late night reading/studying?
I've been inside the law school a few times but both times were during finals season and bar prep. IT WAS SUPER QUIET. As for the law library, on a typical week the library closes at 10:00pm. The awesome campus tour rep, Amanda, said the school encourages students to go home and have a life. If I remember correctly, the main campus library closes at 11:00pm on a typical week. The good news is Gateway Student Center, on the main campus, is open 24hours Monday through Thursday. Not fair because Gateway wasn't 24hrs when I went there for UG, lol.

Studystudystudy

Post by Studystudystudy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:12 pm

merintil wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:35 am
Studystudystudy wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:11 pm
Current 1L if anyone has questions! I will do my best to answer them.
Hello! I am not sure if you are currently undergoing finals, but if you have some time after the finals season, can you answer a few questions for me?

1. What do you like the most so far about Irvine? Conversely, what do you least like so far?

2. How is Orange County in general?

3. Do you happen to know how difficult it is to get into one's desired clinic?

Thank you and good luck on finals!
This gives me a break before I dig into studying for torts haha.

1. I am from So Cal originally, so I don't mind the traffic. However, for some people I could see that being an issue. I love the atmosphere of Irvine and even just the aesthetics of the town. It's really clean and cute. You have pretty much everything around you too, so that's a huge advantage. The Honda Center is only like 30 minutes away, max. Disneyland is only around 20 minutes. LA isn't that bad either. For purposes of summer externships, you have your choice of LA or SD. SD is a bit of a drive but hey, it's worth it for the right job! If you're living on campus, you literally have everything walking distance to where you'd be living so not having a car isn't a deal breaker. I have a lot of friends that don't have cars. Off campus housing is more expensive but there's something to be said for being able to actually leave school. You also have places like Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, and Huntington Beach right by. These are awesome places to get away and get your mind off things, if need be.

2. I think stuff I addressed in number 1 answers this. Again, Orange County is comprised of a lot of cool spots and you really have everything you want around you!

3. From what I've heard, students at least get their second pick. There are obviously some clinics more popular than others. We don't choose clinics until some time later next semester, so I would not know as much as say a 2L or 3L.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me with more questions if you want. We just finished our first final yesterday though so I might be delayed in responding. :D