2017-18 Admissions Spreadsheets

School-specific applicants threads, waiting for results, announcements of acceptances/denials/waitlists.
Stranger

Re: 2017-18 Admissions Spreadsheets

Post by Stranger » Tue May 08, 2018 4:42 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:25 pm
yes thank you! Someone should delete it from the other site.
Is the one on the other site the one compiled by the Blue Devil? He's a different poster, alas, and I don't know if he made it over.

erose

Post by erose » Wed May 30, 2018 11:31 am

What's a CF?

Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten

Post by Mikey » Wed May 30, 2018 11:39 am

erose wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:31 am
What's a CF?
character and fitness issues

et84

Post by et84 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Sorry if this has already been asked, I'm new to the admissions game, but what does WE on the spreadsheets mean?

Post by AvatarRoku » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:13 pm

et84 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:04 pm
Sorry if this has already been asked, I'm new to the admissions game, but what does WE on the spreadsheets mean?
WE= Work Experience (measured in years)

Mon Viller

Post by Mon Viller » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:35 pm

lsatlsatlsat wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:38 pm
Sorry if this is a dumb question (never used TLS) - what are examples of below average, average, above average, and highly unique softs?

What I've gathered is -

Below average: nothing?
Average: clubs, sports, internships
Above average: advanced degree, TFA, AmeriCorps, work experience
Highly unique: Rhodes Scholar, Olympic athlete, president's kid

Is this accurate?
Following on to this question, which category best describes military experience? Also, for these classifications purposes would all military experience be treated the same? Thanks.

rachelac

Post by rachelac » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:11 pm

Mon Viller wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:35 pm
lsatlsatlsat wrote:
Sorry if this is a dumb question (never used TLS) - what are examples of below average, average, above average, and highly unique softs?

What I've gathered is -

Is this accurate?
Following on to this question, which category best describes military experience? Also, for these classifications purposes would all military experience be treated the same? Thanks.
My relatively baseless opinion is that the military would be above average and everything would be treated the same except for maybe being a SEAL

Mon Viller

Post by Mon Viller » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:31 pm

rachelac wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:11 pm
Mon Viller wrote:
lsatlsatlsat wrote:

What I've gathered is -

Is this accurate?
My relatively baseless opinion is that the military would be above average and everything would be treated the same except for maybe being a SEAL
Gotcha that's about what I suspected, but I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't overestimating my softs.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:16 pm

Mon Viller wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:31 pm
rachelac wrote:
Mon Viller wrote:
lsatlsatlsat wrote:

What I've gathered is -

Is this accurate?
Gotcha that's about what I suspected, but I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't overestimating my softs.
We have a tendency to overestimate our softs, really. I suspect the reality is more like:

Nonexistent - literally K-JD with no work or extracurricular activities
Weak - attendance at a club or two, or a brief unskilled job
Below Average - sustained participation in clubs, sports, internships, but without leadership roles, or a year or two in a real job
Average - leadership roles in the aforementioned activities, or significant work experience in addition to that typical sustained participation, or a simple advanced degree, things that might actually stay on your resume for real job applications
Above Average - significant work experience along with leadership roles and/or advanced degree, doctorate, entrepreneur, something you can write a personal statement about that they don't see every day
Strong - started a company they've heard of, highly decorated veteran, pro athlete, something you can write a personal statement about that they may not see the likes of in a given year
Highly Unique - Congressional Medal of Honor, Olympic medalist, Presidents kid, something you can write a personal statement about that they'll likely never see again

Once you get to above average, you're likely talking about something an interviewer wants to bring up early just to hear more about. It's not just something that makes you well-rounded, it's something that makes you interesting.

Mon Viller

Post by Mon Viller » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:03 pm

Stranger wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:16 pm
Mon Viller wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:31 pm
rachelac wrote:
Mon Viller wrote:
lsatlsatlsat wrote:

What I've gathered is -

Is this accurate?
We have a tendency to overestimate our softs, really. I suspect the reality is more like:

Nonexistent - literally K-JD with no work or extracurricular activities
Weak - attendance at a club or two, or a brief unskilled job
Below Average - sustained participation in clubs, sports, internships, but without leadership roles, or a year or two in a real job
Average - leadership roles in the aforementioned activities, or significant work experience in addition to that typical sustained participation, or a simple advanced degree, things that might actually stay on your resume for real job applications
Above Average - significant work experience along with leadership roles and/or advanced degree, doctorate, entrepreneur, something you can write a personal statement about that they don't see every day
Strong - started a company they've heard of, highly decorated veteran, pro athlete, something you can write a personal statement about that they may not see the likes of in a given year
Highly Unique - Congressional Medal of Honor, Olympic medalist, Presidents kid, something you can write a personal statement about that they'll likely never see again

Once you get to above average, you're likely talking about something an interviewer wants to bring up early just to hear more about. It's not just something that makes you well-rounded, it's something that makes you interesting.
That is super helpful! I was considering writing about my unique experiences in the military in my personal statement before and this definitely confirms it for me. Thanks!

jeremybearimy

Post by jeremybearimy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi! I'm pretty new here, so sorry in advance if this is a stupid suggestion--what if we made spreadsheets like this for the current cycle, and posted them in each school's thread, and people could update them as the cycle goes on? That way it's not left to one person to compile all of the info at the end of the cycle, and we can see how the cycle is shaping up as it's going? I know lawschoolnumbers sort of serves this purpose, but just wanted to toss that out there!

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:54 pm

jeremybearimy wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:08 pm
Hi! I'm pretty new here, so sorry in advance if this is a stupid suggestion--what if we made spreadsheets like this for the current cycle, and posted them in each school's thread, and people could update them as the cycle goes on? That way it's not left to one person to compile all of the info at the end of the cycle, and we can see how the cycle is shaping up as it's going? I know lawschoolnumbers sort of serves this purpose, but just wanted to toss that out there!
It's your cycle. You can handle data however you want.