No longer seeing new post / notification numbers in tabs (Chrome)

Discuss site issues, suggestions, and any other kind of technical issues related to LSL here.
Unregistered guests can post here with moderator approval.
ggocat

No longer seeing new post / notification numbers in tabs (Chrome)

Post by ggocat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49 am

When a page on the forum had new posts, or when I had a notification, I would always see a number in brackets or parentheses next to the title of the page in my tabs on Chrome. The number indicated the number of new posts in that thread, or the total number of notifications. It would look like [3] or (3). Brackets meant one thing, parenthesis meant another; can't remember which.

Within the past couple of days, I stopped seeing these. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it a Chrome problem or a website problem?

I tried Edge and there are no numbers/brackets/etc. Not sure if there ever were in Edge, though.

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Re: No longer seeing new post / notification numbers in tabs (Chrome)

Post by ymmv » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:15 pm

ggocat wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49 am
When a page on the forum had new posts, or when I had a notification, I would always see a number in brackets or parentheses next to the title of the page in my tabs on Chrome. The number indicated the number of new posts in that thread, or the total number of notifications. It would look like [3] or (3). Brackets meant one thing, parenthesis meant another; can't remember which.

Within the past couple of days, I stopped seeing these. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it a Chrome problem or a website problem?

I tried Edge and there are no numbers/brackets/etc. Not sure if there ever were in Edge, though.
Looking into this, thanks. Do you know if this started for you roughly around the time of the corona lockdowns?

ggocat

Post by ggocat » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:19 pm

Yes, it was the middle of last week. Funny thing is that over the past week I've noticed sometimes I do get to see the number (1) for notifications, or [1] for new posts on a page. But often the [1] for new posts doesn't come up, and even when it does, it's just [1] rather than the actual number of new posts.

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:23 pm

ggocat wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:19 pm
Yes, it was the middle of last week. Funny thing is that over the past week I've noticed sometimes I do get to see the number (1) for notifications, or [1] for new posts on a page. But often the [1] for new posts doesn't come up, and even when it does, it's just [1] rather than the actual number of new posts.
I have a feeling our webhost did something to limit server load from requests like this (and prevent flooding / system-wide DDOS from all the additional corona traffic); I'll see what I can figure out.