URM Cycle Results 18-19 (Class of 2022)

Admissions strategy and application process for URM applicants.
Post Reply
zil020511
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:03 pm

URM Cycle Results 18-19 (Class of 2022)

Post by zil020511 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:37 pm

Hello Everyone,

I saw this on the other site and thought it was helpful information. So I wanted to keep it going. I know people are still making decisions. No rush. Just fill out when your cycle is done or close to done for future URM applicants. Also, please include scholarship info next to acceptances. For example, School X (1 million dollars).
Thanks!

Type of URM:

Attending:

GPA:

LSAT: (Include retakes)

Undergrad:

Softs:

Advice:

Approx. Time of Application:

Other acceptances:

Rejections:

Waitlists:

planningthelaw
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:19 pm

Re: URM Cycle Results 18-19 (Class of 2022)

Post by planningthelaw » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:47 pm

Type of URM: Mixed, MA & White

Attending: Stanford ($$/$$$)

GPA: 3.5

LSAT: 168 (166, 165)

Undergrad: mid-range University of California (Not Berkeley or UCLA)

Softs: 6 years WE in policy-related work; master's degree w/ high GPA; strong LORs; certification in current field

Advice:
1) Apply early! I think a lot of my waitlists and rejections in the lower T14 are because I applied in the post-December LSAT mad rush. I think my softs could have saved me from my underwhelming stats if I would have applied earlier in the cycle.
2) To completely contradict my first point: it's still better to apply later with a higher LSAT than apply early with a lower LSAT and a poorly put together application. I wish I would have been able to apply earlier, but I needed that 168 to get me into the CN and S.
3) Tell your story and shoot your goddamn shot. Wanna know how silly I felt applying to Stanford with my stats? MyLSN gave me a 0% chance of getting into Stanford based on non-AA URMs who applied with 166-170, 3.4-3.6 in the past five cycles. But I got the call and it changed my life. SHOOT YOUR SHOT.
4) Be yourself and express your interests. My interests are in a very narrow field of law and I think that may have gotten me the ax from a few schools that didn't have much programming in that interest area. But for schools who look at your application holistically, they will see the passion and it will help you.

Approx. Time of Application: Mid-December

Other acceptances: Chicago($), NYU, UCLA ($$)

Rejections: Penn, Berkeley

Waitlists: Harvard, Columbia, Michigan, Northwestern
Last edited by planningthelaw on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
necho2
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:57 am

Re: URM Cycle Results 18-19 (Class of 2022)

Post by necho2 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:24 am

Congratulations! That's a fantastic outcome and I think awareness of how volatile MyLSN can be w/ certain groups (I doubt the non-AA semi-splitter sample is particularly large) is absolutely important in encouraging folks to apply.

Edit: Thought this was the other thread, feel free to delete if I'm taking up data point space.

planningthelaw
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:19 pm

Re: URM Cycle Results 18-19 (Class of 2022)

Post by planningthelaw » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:11 pm

necho2 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:24 am
Congratulations! That's a fantastic outcome and I think awareness of how volatile MyLSN can be w/ certain groups (I doubt the non-AA semi-splitter sample is particularly large) is absolutely important in encouraging folks to apply.

Edit: Thought this was the other thread, feel free to delete if I'm taking up data point space.
Yes, the sample size for the non-AA semi-splitter was very very small on MyLSN. If someone searches with the same range next cycle, it will show them an 11% chance of getting into Stanford because of my acceptance :lol:

thelawsklkidd
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:47 am

Re: URM Cycle Results 18-19 (Class of 2022)

Post by thelawsklkidd » Tue May 28, 2019 3:20 pm

Can we get a little bit more activity on this thread? Hahah I know we have more than one URM going to law school next year 😆

User avatar
ThaBlackLord
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:55 pm

Re: URM Cycle Results 18-19 (Class of 2022)

Post by ThaBlackLord » Tue May 28, 2019 10:20 pm

thelawsklkidd wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:20 pm
Can we get a little bit more activity on this thread? Hahah I know we have more than one URM going to law school next year 😆
+ 180

tamoki
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:04 am

Re: URM Cycle Results 18-19 (Class of 2022)

Post by tamoki » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:29 pm

planningthelaw wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:47 pm
Type of URM: Mixed, MA & White

Attending: Stanford ($$/$$$)

GPA: 3.5

LSAT: 168 (166, 165)

Undergrad: mid-range University of California (Not Berkeley or UCLA)

Softs: 6 years WE in policy-related work; master's degree w/ high GPA; strong LORs; certification in current field

Advice:
1) Apply early! I think a lot of my waitlists and rejections in the lower T14 are because I applied in the post-December LSAT mad rush. I think my softs could have saved me from my underwhelming stats if I would have applied earlier in the cycle.
2) To completely contradict my first point: it's still better to apply later with a higher LSAT than apply early with a lower LSAT and a poorly put together application. I wish I would have been able to apply earlier, but I needed that 168 to get me into the CN and S.
3) Tell your story and shoot your goddamn shot. Wanna know how silly I felt applying to Stanford with my stats? MyLSN gave me a 0% chance of getting into Stanford based on non-AA URMs who applied with 166-170, 3.4-3.6 in the past five cycles. But I got the call and it changed my life. SHOOT YOUR SHOT.
4) Be yourself and express your interests. My interests are in a very narrow field of law and I think that may have gotten me the ax from a few schools that didn't have much programming in that interest area. But for schools who look at your application holistically, they will see the passion and it will help you.

Approx. Time of Application: Mid-December

Other acceptances: Chicago($), NYU, UCLA ($$)

Rejections: Penn, Berkeley

Waitlists: Harvard, Columbia, Michigan, Northwestern
Super helpful to read your post! Currently applying to the following schools: Penn (I attended for undergrad and had a 3.38 GPA), GW (just completed my master's here with a 3.85 GPA so it's my safety), UVA (my top choice; also eligible for Virginia in state residency), NYU and Georgetown (very close to my condo). Currently preparing to retake LSAT in February with accommodations. Sucks to apply late but I'd rather do that than submit my first score from 2015 that was pretty low. Please share any other helpful tips!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests