2018-2019 SEO Applicants

Admissions strategy and application process for URM applicants.
LSNlife

2018-2019 SEO Applicants

Post by LSNlife » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:04 am

Credit to Daddy's whose creation of an applicants thread last year is the basis for this one!

All applicants must have:

Graduated from or be graduating from an accredited, four-year, U.S. college or university, or foreign equivalent.
Taken the LSAT and plan to attend law school in the U.S. starting in the fall of the year in which they plan to do the internship (e.g., only students starting law school in the fall of 2019 are eligible for the internship program during the summer of 2019).
A 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA.
International students are not eligible for SEO law internships

Got the following from last years thread and it will be updated over time:

Important dates to remember
Application deadline: March 4, 2019
Interviews: scheduled starting January 2019
Proof of enrollment (aka seat deposit): no later than April 30, 2019
SEO admissions decisions: No Later Than May 1, 2019
Program dates: May 19, 2019 - July 26, 2019

Sites recommended for SEO partners research prior to interview:
http://www.chambers-associate.com/home
http://www.nalpdirectory.com/
*Above the Law also has a law firm directory*

Basic interview info.
Conducted from February - April
Length of interview seems to vary (generally about 30 minutes)
Not a "stress interview" (unlike previous years) -- some who have interviewed report it being somewhat tense, but that wasn't my experience
Conducted in person in NYC, DC, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Ithaca, Atlanta, LA & SF (via skype if you cannot travel to an interview location)
Know their firms

Basic SEO info (website, some program details, etc.)
http://seolaw.org/
10-week-long fellowship (First two weeks are more educational, take place in NYC; next eight weeks take place at whatever firm you're placed at)
Majority of placement is in NYC, followed by DC; most other placement is just a couple people
Housing is NOT provided (except the two weeks in NYC for people who aren't placed in at a NYC firm)
$$$ = up to $1500/wk
Placement is highly-dependent on what the firm is asking for (they give list of schools they prefer) HENCE seat deposit is a MUST before they can place you
For anyone who is trying to negotiate schollies and thus, hasn't submitted a seat deposit by the deadline, LET SEO KNOW
Resume MUST be ONLY one page!

```If you register for the Webinear and were somehow unable to attend, it is VERY obvious to SEO. My job works with the same webinar platform and can very easily look at attendance data (if you tuned in at all, how much time you were in there etc etc)

Advice from a 2017 SEO Alum:
charlie90 wrote:
Congrats on all of your interviews!

I mentioned this to a couple of people through DMs but just a couple of things:
- $1100-1500 salary is on some pay scale that is completely the discretion of law firms. There was an anecdote going around that if you're one of the few SEOs at a firm (looking at TX, OH, and CA people), you're probably going to be making that full amount. No idea if this is true or not. If finances are a concern, you can ask SEO for a short-time loan if necessary and SEO did give out three scholarships at the end of our SEO network, get a SEO mentor who will tell you how to email people, and it'll help you out job-wise as a 1L.
- If you are concerned about $ (completely understandable), once again... Perhaps try choosing cities close to/where you will be going to school. No matter what you decide to do, its probably going to be chaotic. Some firms may help you "travel" to the city (e.g. you're a HYS student that will be a SEO Fellow in NYC) and most firms will cover your time spent during SEO's NYC institute. (Again, completely at firm discretion). I know there would be people who would want to disagree with me, but I would be willing to take out a loan to make it work for a short term summer. If someone had told me that a year ago I probably would have thought they were crazy, but seriously. SEO is not really about the money but the number of doors that will open once you say you're SEO (especially in NYC) or that you "clerked at insert Big Law firm" before 1L.
- As much as SEO Law does, it's a very small team that is putting this on. No one can say with confidence how many people are interviewed but chances are, you have a good chance to get in if you are being invited to interview. Just don't be weird and have rational answers to questions.

If you're a male, remove all facial hair!

We *BELIEVE* only 2/10 people who apply are invited to interview. However, the director of SEO (Van Ann Bui) did confirm that of those who've been invited to interview, the chances of being accepted rise to 40-50%.

PlzSendJS1

Re: 2018-2019 SEO Applicants

Post by PlzSendJS1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:47 am

Are you supposed to get email confirmation after you submit?

LSNlife

Post by LSNlife » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:38 pm

PlzSendJS1 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:47 am
Are you supposed to get email confirmation after you submit?
I didn't last year, just interview invitation emails.

Kiskeya

Post by Kiskeya » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:26 pm

Checking in- thanks for starting this! any interview tips for new applicants? I couldn't make the webinar bc of overtime at work

LSNlife

Post by LSNlife » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:23 pm

Kiskeya wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:26 pm
Checking in- thanks for starting this! any interview tips for new applicants? I couldn't make the webinar bc of overtime at work
Hey! I’m not 100% certain but I think last year they provided a way for us to watch it after the fact, if that’s the case I highly recommend taking a look. Much of this advice is likely repeated in last years thread but SEO is huge on professional appearance and timeliness. Make sure you suit fits, your skirt is long enough, tie is tied and your hair is out of your face. On a more substantive note be sure to research the firms and the kind of work they do so that you can have a well-thought out answer for questions regarding what you’re looking to get out of your summer experience and why you think SEO/that particular firm can help further that interest. If you’re public-interested minded that’s fine but don’t make it the entire point of your interview, at the end of the day SEO is hoping to place people in big law early who will one day have big law careers. While plenty of fellows don’t want to work in big law, the interview isn’t the time to explain all the reasons why you WONT stick around after SEO. Anyhow, I hope this helped and feel free to follow up!

urmlaw18

Post by urmlaw18 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:15 pm

Is the 3.0 GPA requirement still in place?

diamondlaw21

Post by diamondlaw21 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:06 pm

checking in! applied 1/9 and picked NY and DC as first and second placement preferences

LSNlife

Post by LSNlife » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:12 pm

urmlaw18 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:15 pm
Is the 3.0 GPA requirement still in place?
Im honestly not sure. I don’t think it’s on the new website but I’d still suspect that anything below that would be difficult for them to market to the firms regardless...

Lankhs

Post by Lankhs » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:20 pm

Submitted yesterday! Anyone know usual turnaround time, if there is an answer to that?

Doofus123

Post by Doofus123 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:29 am

Is it true that only students who attend top schools, and some at Forhdam and Boston are offered admission into the program?

LSNlife

Post by LSNlife » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:34 pm

Doofus123 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:29 am
Is it true that only students who attend top schools, and some at Forhdam and Boston are offered admission into the program?
It's definitely not a program requirement but I will say that members of last years' cohort were all enrolled in the T-16, and the majority were HYSCCNP.