URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Admissions strategy and application process for URM applicants.

Where are you in the application process?

Essays drafted/LSAT sorted/Recs locked down. I'm ready.
13
33%
LSAT is done, but my other materials need work
8
21%
I need to retake.
10
26%
I don't have an LSAT score.
6
15%
What is law school?
2
5%
 
Total votes: 39

User avatar
blackgoku
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:07 pm

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by blackgoku » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:33 pm

chetobeto wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:24 pm
Checking in! After finally getting a score I felt comfortable with. :)
Whoo! Congrats. What schools are you going for?

chetobeto
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:25 am

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by chetobeto » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:11 pm

blackgoku wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:33 pm
chetobeto wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:24 pm
Checking in! After finally getting a score I felt comfortable with. :)
Whoo! Congrats. What schools are you going for?
I'm blanketing the T14 and seeing what happens :D

What about you friend?

User avatar
blackgoku
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:07 pm

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by blackgoku » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:36 pm

chetobeto wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:11 pm
blackgoku wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:33 pm
chetobeto wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:24 pm
Checking in! After finally getting a score I felt comfortable with. :)
Whoo! Congrats. What schools are you going for?
I'm blanketing the T14 and seeing what happens :D

What about you friend?
Sweet, I'm rooting for you and hope you kill it!! I applied to 10 outta the T14

tokenhonduran
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:09 pm

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by tokenhonduran » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:17 pm

Well. Looks like a retake is in the books.

User avatar
KENYADIGG1T
Moderator
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:17 pm
Contact:

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:44 pm

POLL IDEAS PLEASE

killakam92
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:47 pm

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by killakam92 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:49 pm

Checking in

3.1/163
AA male, Somali-specifically

Re-taking LSAT in 3 weeks. Good luck yall!

BlackMiLawGuy
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:54 pm

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by BlackMiLawGuy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:13 pm

The hard stats: 3.3, 158

Possible mitigating factor:
3.7 gpa recalculated if one bad semester with 1.3 gpa is removed, addendum written

Some schools asked about LSAT prep etc. My response: no class taken, no time for prep, working taking 18 credits yada yada will retake November it is what it is though I have many other things to worry about.

Possible soft factors": AA Male; LSES, fee waiver; First-gen; single parent household (dead dad); many good jobs on campus, including pharmacological research and tutoring underprivileged students; from Detroit. Major:Psych B.S Minor:law Justice public policy. Diverse class selection including logic and reasoning and the sciences; big ten university.

Essays written: various scholarship essays, gpa addendum, c&f addendum, personal statement, diversity statement.

Schools I applied to:

Yale
Harvard
Chicago
Columbia
NYU
UPenn
UMich
UC Berkeley
Virginia
Duke
Northwestern
Cornell
Georgetown
UT Austin
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Boston University
USC

I'll update the list as I hear back from schools.

Good luck everyone. 🙏

g01denb3ar
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:37 pm

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by g01denb3ar » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:42 pm

Checking In!
AA
3.9/175+

Applications are in progress - I really just need to put my head down and finish essays

Applying to

Yale
Stanford
Harvard
Chicago
Columbia
NYU
Duke
UVA
UMich
UPenn

Considering:Berkeley, Cornell, Emory, UT, USC
Last edited by g01denb3ar on Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

g01denb3ar
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:37 pm

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by g01denb3ar » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:45 pm

BlackMiLawGuy wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:13 pm
The hard stats: 3.3, 158

Possible mitigating factor:
3.7 gpa recalculated if one bad semester with 1.3 gpa is removed, addendum written

I have a slightly similar circumstance. Are you mentioning the recalculation in your addendum?

killakam92
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:47 pm

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by killakam92 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:35 am

Hey, does anyone know if you've gotten a fee waiver in the past from a school and used it, can you get another one from the same school for CRS? I believe Cornell doesn't but not sure about other ones

User avatar
greatspirit
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:53 am

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by greatspirit » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:12 pm

g01denb3ar wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:42 pm
Checking In!
AA
3.9/175+

Applications are in progress - I really just need to put my head down and finish essays

Applying to

Yale
Stanford
Harvard
Columbia
NYU
Berkeley
Cornell
Duke
UPenn
1 other of: USC, Emory, UT
You are the magical applicant. Have fun at Yale!

g01denb3ar
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:37 pm

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by g01denb3ar » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:28 pm

greatspirit wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:12 pm

You are the magical applicant. Have fun at Yale!
Writing these essays, I'm not so confident. But, I hope you're right!

User avatar
KENYADIGG1T
Moderator
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:17 pm
Contact:

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:43 pm

g01denb3ar wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:28 pm
greatspirit wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:12 pm

You are the magical applicant. Have fun at Yale!
Writing these essays, I'm not so confident. But, I hope you're right!
We believe in you

sierrarox101
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:04 am

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by sierrarox101 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:06 am

Checking in! 3.9/170 AA Female

I applied to:
Harvard
Michigan
Penn
NYU
Columbia
Vanderbilt
Cornell
Berkeley
WashU
UGA

Considering applying to Stanford

User avatar
LSNlife
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:35 am

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by LSNlife » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:51 am

sierrarox101 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:06 am
Checking in! 3.9/170 AA Female

I applied to:
Harvard
Michigan
Penn
NYU
Columbia
Vanderbilt
Cornell
Berkeley
WashU
UGA

Considering applying to Stanford
You should definitely apply to Stanford. Yale as well.

killakam92
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:47 pm

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by killakam92 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:54 pm

Anyone else taking the LSAT this weekend?

If so what are you doing last week of prep?

User avatar
ThaBlackLord
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:55 pm

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by ThaBlackLord » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:56 pm

killakam92 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:54 pm
Anyone else taking the LSAT this weekend?

If so what are you doing last week of prep?
Praying fam

killakam92
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:47 pm

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by killakam92 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:25 pm

ThaBlackLord wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:56 pm
killakam92 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:54 pm
Anyone else taking the LSAT this weekend?

If so what are you doing last week of prep?
Praying fam
Same lol gotta be confident. I'm just hoping for no really wierd LG and a decent RC section. Trying to improve on a 163 so every question matters lol my PTs have been between 166-170 so I'm feeling good

FatherShampoo
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:23 am

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by FatherShampoo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:02 am

In at Michigannnnnn 3.35/165, submitted 10/31 accepted 11/9.
Strong softs, good essays incl why Michigan and diversity statement.
Posting because I want future applicants to see, just as I did through posts like this, that it is possible!!!
Last edited by FatherShampoo on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

killakam92
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:47 pm

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by killakam92 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:18 pm

FatherShampoo wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:02 am
In at Michigannnnnn 3.35/167, submitted 10/31 accepted 11/9.
Strong softs, good essays incl why Michigan and diversity statement.
Posting because I want future applicants to see, just as I did through posts like this, that it is possible!!!
Ayyy congrats!

must be nice to hear back in less than 2 weeks lol

FatherShampoo
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:23 am

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by FatherShampoo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:20 pm

killakam92 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:18 pm
FatherShampoo wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:02 am
In at Michigannnnnn 3.35/165, submitted 10/31 accepted 11/9.
Strong softs, good essays incl why Michigan and diversity statement.
Posting because I want future applicants to see, just as I did through posts like this, that it is possible!!!
Ayyy congrats!

must be nice to hear back in less than 2 weeks lol
Thanks man, great start to my cycle! I saw above that you're Somali--same here! Looking forward to following your cycle. We got this
Last edited by FatherShampoo on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

killakam92
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:47 pm

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by killakam92 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:59 pm

FatherShampoo wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:20 pm
killakam92 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:18 pm
FatherShampoo wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:02 am
In at Michigannnnnn 3.35/167, submitted 10/31 accepted 11/9.
Strong softs, good essays incl why Michigan and diversity statement.
Posting because I want future applicants to see, just as I did through posts like this, that it is possible!!!
Ayyy congrats!

must be nice to hear back in less than 2 weeks lol
Thanks man, great start to my cycle! I saw above that you're Somali--same here! Looking forward to following your cycle. We got this
WOW really? thats crazy lol we gotta do our people proud! I'm applying to MIchigan too working on my essays right now

User avatar
KENYADIGG1T
Moderator
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:17 pm
Contact:

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:30 pm

FatherShampoo wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:02 am
In at Michigannnnnn 3.35/167, submitted 10/31 accepted 11/9.
Strong softs, good essays incl why Michigan and diversity statement.
Posting because I want future applicants to see, just as I did through posts like this, that it is possible!!!
Congrats! Secure the BAG

User avatar
Kiskeya
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:45 am

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by Kiskeya » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:37 pm

In at Duke!!!!! Priority Track app - completed 11/05 and heard back today. I'm so freaking excited y'all!!!!!

chetobeto
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:25 am

Re: URM 2018/19 Applicants Thread

Post by chetobeto » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:52 pm

I think I read somewhere online that generally, URMs tend to hear back later in the cycle? Is this true? Can anybody confirm or deny based on their own experiences or what they have read?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest