URM 2017-2018 Cycle Results

Admissions strategy and application process for URM applicants.
Aspire

URM 2017-2018 Cycle Results

Post by Aspire »

Results Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1430892895

Borrowing the format from last year. Feel free to post your current status, even if you've not made a final decision, and update it when you've made your mind up.

Type of URM:

Attending:

GPA:

LSAT:

Undergrad:

Softs:

Approx. Time of Application:

Other acceptances:

Rejections:

Waitlists:

Advice:
RSolano

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Results

Post by RSolano »

Type of URM: AA

Attending: Columbia with Hamilton

GPA: 3.6

LSAT: 174

Undergrad:

Softs: Above Average

Approx. Time of Application: Early December

Other acceptances: Harvard, Chicago ($60k), Columbia (Hamilton), Michigan (Darrow), Duke, NYU ($130k), UPenn

Rejections:

Waitlists: UVa(withdrew)

Advice: If any sentence of your personal statement could be said by anyone, delete it. Apply early. Give the LSAT your absolute best. Be happy and positive in interviews. Make sure your apps are flawless, well thought-out with no errors. I listed everything about myself that I wanted to include/portray in my app and then assigned each thing to a component of my app (ie resume, PS, DS, letter of rec etc). Paint a clear picture of yourself as an applicant. Good luck!
Last edited by RSolano on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
andysimbi

Post by andysimbi »

Type of URM: AA

Attending: NYU (Jacobson/Nordlicht - $$$$)

GPA: 3.58

LSAT: 167 (1 take)

Undergrad: Ivy

Softs: Lots of solid work experience at major/well-known companies, which I think made up for my GPA/LSAT combo a LOT. I'm a first gen college student as well.

Approx. Time of Application: All were sent in early September.

Other acceptances: BU ($$$), Georgetown ($$$), Cornell ($$$), Duke ($$$), Chicago (Doctoroff/$)), Berkeley ($$$), Michigan (0), WashU ($$$$), USC ($$$$), American ($$$$), Cardozo ($$$$), Fordham ($$$$), Suffolk ($$$$), Northeastern ($$$$+), Vanderbilt ($$$), UC Irvine ($$), UC Davis ($$$), Boston College ($$$), Harvard (x), UCLA (?), Columbia (?)

Rejections: n/a

Waitlists: Penn, UVA, Northwestern

Withdrew w/o Response: Stanford

Advice: Applying early seems like a very good plan, and I'd definitely recommend applying by Thanksgiving, if at all possible, but definitely by the end of the year. I do think that my work experienced helped me a LOT this cycle overall, so I'd probably recommend that to everyone. There's a lot that you can learn from being in the workforce, especially in an office, that makes certain questions during interviews really easy to answer. I'd also say to focus on the LSAT and get your score as high as possible. Honestly, I was very lucky--I didn't max out my score at all, and never took a timed practice test (which I wouldn't really recommend). I could've ended up with a really bad cycle and would've only had myself to blame for it.

Having very solid pieces of writing is, I think, a huge help. My current job is writing-centric, so I'm sure that helped me a lot. [I bet there are all sorts of typos and grammar issues in this post that'll make that seem like a lie, haha.] If writing and editing aren't your strong suit, definitely have other people read over your work.

When you have an interview, just relax and remember that your interviewer isn't trying to trip you up or find a reason to reject you (and if they are, they're going to find it regardless of how you do). So just relax!

Lastly, I wouldn't recommend applying to as many schools as I did in a normal situation. But, if you're able to, I would definitely recommend applying to at least one or two schools that seem 'above' your assumed acceptance ceiling. If I'd stopped at the lower T-10 I would've gotten those waitlists and assumed that was it, but my results in the T6 were significantly better in every instance.

Good luck!

$ = 1/4 tuition
Last edited by andysimbi on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Law School Native

Post by Law School Native »

URM type: American Indian
Attending: I don't know
GPA 3.46
LSAT: 160
Undergrad: state school
Softs: Average
Approximate: Mid January
Waitlisted
Columbia
Cornell (interviewed.)
Fordham

Rejected:
NYU
Harvard
Yale

Advice: Apply early! Will wait out the waitlists and apply with a September LSAT retake next go around if that doesn't work.
Last edited by Law School Native on Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stjeff00

Post by Stjeff00 »

Type of URM: AA Male

Attending: Still deciding between Northwestern $$ or Berkeley $$$$ (95% sure it will be Berkeley)

LSAT: 156 (After 3 tries)

GPA: 3.52 ( with upward trend, 3.7+ last year and a half)

Undergrad Type: Top Public

Softs: solid full time work experience, that all cohesively tie to the field of law I'm interested in. State Director of Non-Profit, D.C. internships at notable organizations, and involved in pretty much everything law-related/social justice throughout undergrad.

Approx. Time of Application: Beginning of January to Middle of January ( DO NOT BE LIKE ME)

Other Acceptances: Northwestern (still in negotiation), UT Austin (0), Vanderbilt ($$) , WashU ($$$), Notre Dame ($), UCI ($$), GW, Howard, Ohio State

Rejections: Georgetown, UVA

Waitlists: Michigan, Cornell, USC

Still Waiting: NYU, UCLA, UC Davis (idk whats going on with this one)

Advice: I have so much it's ridiculous. #1 please use these forums to your advantage, I would not have been as successful in my cycle without it. I've been studying information from *the website that shall not be named* & lawschoolnumbers since my junior year of college (I know this process very well). Ask anything and everything. #2 Apply early! It is realll. It was one of the downfalls of my cycle because by the time some of the schools got to my application it was just too late and I was either waitlisted or received no money (UT AUSTIN). Be proactive about getting all your materials and giving yourself ample enough time to retake the LSAT. #3 Take the LSAT serious but it IS NOT THE END ALL BE ALL (as many would have you believe), especially for URM's. The LSAT was my downfall, as someone who school has always come naturally to.. it killed me. I wish I could get into the nuances of why I want to get rid of the LSAT and it's inherent racist nature but I don't see it being removed from the admissions process anytime soon so I'll save that but try your best and try to accumulate as many resources as possible from people ( old books, practice tests, study groups, ask those that came before you). To keep it real transparent (because not enough people do), I studied for a year and my initial diagnostic was a 136. I grinded my way up to a 20+ point increase (wrote my LSAT addendum about this) through consistent practice and never wanting to give up. So to anyone reading this that is struggling with the LSAT and feels that it is the end of the world, I feel you but keep going and don't give up. #4 If your LSAT or GPA is not a strong point of your application make sure the rest is 100%. Have your essays, resume and letter of recs tell a cohesive narrative of why law school. Please put time into your essays, I'm a good writer and it took me 6 months to write my personal statement. Essays are a very underrated aspect of your application but have the ability to set you apart from other applicants, take the time to tell a story. Also write EVERYTHING. Write the diversity statement , write the Why essays, write the addendums (if applicable), leave no room for adcom to question anything. #5 This admissions process lends itself to people who are social and know how to sell themselves (especially in interviews). As someone without a lot of social capitol and connections, I had so many doors open for me because the deans of admission at schools I was serious about knew me by name. And even wrote on my acceptance letters that they remember meeting me. Obviously do not be annoying about it, but take every opportunity to show your face and speak to admissions officers. They are people too and if you can hold a good (non-awkward) conversation they are more likely to assist you. #6 Have a support group, have people that you can just call and vent to throughout this whole process. My friends who are engineers and in stem fields know the t-14 rankings by heart because they have heard me talk about them so much LOL. But honestly just have people who keep you level headed and provide you with that unwavering support. Because this process is filled with anxiety, disappointment and frustration. #7 (this is my last one I promise) If you really want this, don't give up. This process is looong and hard especially for URM's who are often first generation. Looking back I worked so hard and was so stressed out but really was all worth it once you start getting your acceptance letters (with money) lol. Message me if you have any questions!
Last edited by Stjeff00 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcDUDE2014

Post by jcDUDE2014 »

(I typed this all out but it disappeared ig lol.)

Attending: Berkeley (135k)

GPA: 3.83

LSAT: 158, 167

Undergrad: State School

Softs: Heavy campus involvement/leadership, study abroad, three internships (one international)

Approx. Time of Application: Thanksgiving-Christmas (heavier towards the christmas side)

Other acceptances: Columbia (0), NYU (135), Michigan (135), Northwestern (105), Duke (didn't do finaid), UCLA (104), Vandy (125)

Rejections: UVA (rude)

Waitlists: Harvard, Chicago, Penn (withdrew the second I got put on each waitlist)

Advice:
-Don't be afraid of retaking the LSAT! Taking the LSAT again was literally the last thing I wanted to do after getting my score and I seriously considered applying with my first score. I don't know how that would have turned out but I highly doubt I would have had nearly as successful of a cycle. LSAT advice is everywhere on this site and *the other one* USE IT and take your studying seriously. I self studied both times so feel free to ask me any questions!

-This ish is a game and you've gotta play it! Your initial scholarship offers are just the first step. Again, feel free to PM me any questions about how I played, I promise you that most of these high numbers were not my initial offer. Stay vigilant but patient when working with the financial aid offices.

-Practice self care! This is a stressful process and it's not over until it's over (I just made my decision today lol). Obsessing over the waiting forums WILL stress you out so while they can be helpful, proceed with caution.

-Reach out! None of my friends/family knew anything about law school applications, LSL/TLS are great resources for getting that kind of information. Connect with current & future students at admit weekends, message people here and on LSN, get all the information you possibly can. Having said that, if anybody has any questions about my journey or the process in general PLEASE feel free to PM!

Best of luck to everyone on the end of this cycle and all future cycles!
Last edited by jcDUDE2014 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obama2008

Post by Obama2008 »

Type of URM: MA

Attending: Berkeley ($$$$+)

GPA: 3.9

LSAT: 165

Undergrad: Berkeley

Softs: First Generation and lower socioeconomic background. I also come from a historically disadvantaged area in California, which I tied into my personal statement and application.

In terms of work experience, I have internships with the White House, Congress, and a large nonprofit in California. I have also worked for a nonprofit for a couple of years since graduation.

Approx. Time of Application: Mid-November

Acceptances: Stanford ($$), Harvard ($$), Chicago ($), Columbia ($$), NYU ($$$$), Michigan (Nada), Berkeley ($$$$+), Virginia (Nada), Duke ($$$), Northwestern ($$$), Cornell ($$$), Texas ($$), UCLA ($$$$), and USC ($$$)

Rejections: None

Waitlists: None

Advice: I'm going to enumerate this section for clarity. I'll also add more over the next couple months.

1) APPLY EARLY - Make sure to get your applications in before Thanksgiving.
2) Your personal statement, diversity statement, and any other supplemental essays should form a cohesive narrative about your background.
3) There will be some disagreement over this point. TLS was notorious for telling prospective applicants that they did not have to answer the "why law" question in their personal statement. I COMPLETELY DISAGREE. With the increase in applications, I believe every student should answer the "why law" and "why now" questions in their personal statement, especially if you are KJD.
4) Lastly, do not break a finger on your writing hand or get into a terrible car accident midway through your LSAT prep! :lol:
Last edited by Obama2008 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dowsing

Post by Dowsing »

Type of URM: Native American

Attending: Penn (Levy)

GPA: 4.0

LSAT: 168,171

Undergrad: State school

Softs: Not great; very active in UG and some volunteerism, but overall poor softs

Time of apps: Middle of October

Other acceptances: Chicago ($), Michigan ($$$), Berkeley ($$$), Duke (withdrew before scholly), Cornell (withdrew before scholly), Georgetown ($0)

Waitlists: Harvard, UVA, Stanford, NYU

Rejections: Yale

Advice: I have 3 big things to say
1. When in doubt, retake. I thought 168 would get me a cycle I'd be happy with, but I knew I was capable of better so I sat for it again. I have no doubt that those 3 points changed my life by getting me the Levy (and big money at Mich and Berk which I would have been thrilled to take if Penn hadn't come through).
2. Apply broadly. Everyone will tell you to apply early, and you should. But I want to emphasize a blanket strategy. Ask for fee waivers to make this easier if you don't get them upfront. Penn was NOT on my radar before the cycle and I almost didn't even apply. In fact, I was hellbent on NYU who ghosted me. But Penn turned out to be the school that appreciated me the most and I LOVED my visit. You never know who's gonna throw money at you and if your top choice is gonna ignore you. A variety of acceptances can also help with scholly negotiation. Bottom line: send out as many apps as you can.
3. Write every optional essay with a prompt that you can answer sincerely. I convinced myself not to write a diversity statement when I absolutely have experiences that would have allowed me to write a great one. That hurt me. Please write the DS; you have a perspective that law schools need, so don't minimize that like I did.
My why's were quite good, and that helped me. I did NOT write one for Penn however because I had no passion for it; that didn't hurt me a bit in the end, and by not turning in a poor essay I dodged a bullet there.

I may have underpreformed a bit overall due to terrible softs, a mediocre PS, and no diversity statement. It worked out however based purely on numbers and strong why's (my Levy essay was pretty good too). Apply broadly, write a DS, and work harder than I did to tell a compelling story throughout your entire application. Don't underemphasize numbers however, because mine were good enough to balance out some weak spots in my apps and get me a final outcome that I am so happy with.
Last edited by Dowsing on Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
principalagent

Post by principalagent »

Type of URM: African American Man

Attending: UVA - Wahoowa!!! (Dillard)

GPA: 3.16 (very strong upward grade trend)

LSAT: 173

Undergrad: HYP

Softs: LGBT, two years work experience outside of law, well-regarded legal internships in UG, very active in UG and decent community service post undergrad

Approx. Time of Application: Late September, except Columbia (late Oct) and Yale (mid Dec)

Other acceptances: Harvard, Columbia, Penn ($$$), Michigan (Darrow), Duke ($$$), Northwestern ($), Cornell ($$), Texas ($$$$), WashU ($$$$), Alabama ($$$$+)

Rejections: Yale (second time now :cry: )

Waitlists: Stanford, Chicago

Ghosted: NYU

Advice:

1) Stay open to your options. Virginia wasn't really on my radar at the beginning of the cycle and I had my eyes on other schools. But after working through my Why UVA and attending a dinner, it shot way up. The Dillard basically sealed the deal. The Darrow and Harvard did screw with my head a bit, but Virginia was always there, and I fell in love with it more and more as the cycle went on. ASW completely sold me, and my visits at Michigan and Harvard only solidified the love I had for UVA.

2) Stay confident. Honestly, if you had told me that Harvard or T10 full scholarships (let alone TWO) would have been possible in August, I would have laughed at you. I thought my best option would be DNCG with $$ because of my GPA, but I ended up blowing that out of the water (and of course N and C curved the fuck out of me but it's fine). Please, ESPECIALLY as a URM, shoot your shot. You're amazing and worth it.

3) Craft your application. I had a weak spot I knew I had to mitigate. I worked extremely hard to make sure everything else I had was perfect. I studied up to 20 hours a week for the three months before the June LSAT. I told my rec letter writers what to focus on to run interference against my GPA. I wrote a DS and a GPA addendum, as well as a PS that was strong, personal, and compelling. I also wrote Why X Essays, one of which got me a personal compliment from a school's Dean as the best they have ever read. I can't say enough how much really making your application whole matters - even more for URMs where our numbers aren't everything. But, like Dowsing before me, I pulled off a named scholarship at a school I didn't write one for - I think that speaks to the strength of everything else in spite of my GPA.

I exceeded my expectations for this cycle by a ton and I can't be more happy to go to UVA over the next three years. Super-splitter URMs, always shoot me an email and I'll be willing to talk.
Last edited by principalagent on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KENYADIGG1T

Post by KENYADIGG1T »

Type of URM: Black (African)

Attending: Yale

GPA: 4.0

LSAT: 161

Undergrad: CCNY

Softs: Berkeley PhD student, published academic, immigrant rights activist, really unique story.

Approx. Time of Application: I sent them all by 10/20.

Other acceptances: Penn, Duke, Berk, Mich

Rejections: N/A

Waitlists: N/A

Withdrawals: Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, UChicago (Bye Felicia), and NYU

Advice (a lot of mine is going to mirror principalagent's):
1) Numbers get you to the door, not through it. My LSAT was quite low, but I figured it would still be worth a shot to apply. That said, had I been dinged, I would have retaken and re-applied. Therefore, I made sure the other aspects of my application were impeccable (which they were). This was helpful because if I did get dinged from Y/had a bad cycle overall, I would know it's the LSAT and can then focus on improving it. Always look to retake (even though it was moot from my POV).

2) Recommendations are key! To wit, I think that independent studies/seminar classes are the secret weapon to strong recommendations. Professors get to see your initiative, drive, capacity for self-directed scholarship, and willingness to push yourself. Everything a strong recommendation has, an independent study will allow you to have for yourself. For me, I was applying with recommendations from 3 law professors (the perks of doing a PhD at a T14 law school) and 2 undergrad professors who have been law professors. I had done research for or with all of them. Far from picking people in whose classes I did well, I made sure my recommenders knew me. As someone who wants to be a law professor, I could not have picked a better set of recommenders.

3) Key to a strong "Why X". Though I didn't write a specific "Why X" essay for any school, a "Why Yale" component was a major part of my application. The key to writing a strong "Why X" is this: think of your interests, objectives, experiences, and values. From that, determine how they interact with the resources a school offers in a way that 1) is not replicated anywhere else and 2) makes it imperative that *you* take advantage of those resources right now.

4) Be proud of yourself. As a young kid in the outskirts of Nairobi, Kenya, I could have never thought that I would have a shot at some of the best institutions in the world. I had to remind myself that even being a law applicant is a privileged position that most people don't get to. I say this because it's easy to punish ourselves in the process, and as someone above me said, you need to take care of yourself. You thought you were the shit when you made yourself competitive, and that doesn't go away just because you're waiting on decisions.

If you need advice, hit me up at [email protected], or just PM me.
triplem

Post by triplem »

I love this thread. I think we need to compile the advice given and sticky a compendium at the top. While I am sure that compendium is a word, I'm not sure it's the right word.
principalagent

Post by principalagent »

KENYADIGG1T wrote: ↑Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:28 pm securethebagconsulting.com
sis πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Stjeff00

Post by Stjeff00 »

principalagent wrote: ↑Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:51 am
I was hoping I wasn't the only one that caught that :lol: :lol:
triplem

Post by triplem »

KENYADIGG1T wrote: ↑Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:28 pm ...

Not advice so much as a favor. Would you be so kind as to take a pen up to the financial aid office and add a few zeros onto my aid offer? The zeros must go after the first number and before the decimal... but anywhere in there is fine. You can choose however many zeros you feel in the moment; consider it an artistic expression.
Last edited by triplem on Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leslie_knope_4_prez

Post by leslie_knope_4_prez »

Lol I'm not as impressive as everyone else here but hopefully this helps someone
Type of URM: AA Female

Attending: Notre Dame

GPA: 3.75

LSAT: 156

Undergrad: small private

Softs: graduating in 3 years with a dual degree, great internships and volunteer experiences, great letters of rec

Approx. Time of Application: All apps submitted by 1/20 except the ivy leagues

Other acceptances: UT($$), Notre Dame($$$), Washington and Lee($$$$), George Mason($$), George Washington($$$), American($)

Rejections: Yale

Waitlists: Penn, Columbia, Cornell

Advice:
1) As you can see through me and many others on here, numbers are not everything. Obviously do as best as you can on your LSAT and GPA but remember, they're enrolling people, not statistics. Show them why you're different and why you deserve to be there. Not everyone can have a 179 and 4.0 lol
2) Softs. Matter. Period. Seek out as many relevant opportunities you can and network. In 3 years I interned with the US Attorneys Office, Congress, and the State Senate in addition to holding multiple leadership positions on campus and working a part-time job. I believe this played an advantage to combat how young I am compared to most applicants and took away attention from my LSAT.
3) Get to know your professors!! Idk what they said about me but apparently it was great. Your professors want to help and if they see that you are invested in your success, they will be too.
4) Schools expect you to negotiate scholarship money so do it. You had to sell yourself to them, now its their turn. As minorities, they need us. Make them work for it.
5) Honestly, I had no interest in applying to Ivy Leagues because I figured I didn't have a chance but in February, Columbia, Penn, and Cornell hit me with some fee waivers so I said why not and now I actually have a small chance at attending one of these prestigious universities. Opportunities are everywhere. If they come, take them.
6) Applying early is probably best lol. I waited to apply after first semester was over because I knew my GPA would be higher, but in hindsight, I believe if I had applied earlier to the ivys, I probably would have had a better chance at being admitted opposed to being waitlisted.
7) Trust the process and trust your gut. You can get advice from everyone under the sun but at the end of the day, you should attend law school for your own reasons and attend the school that best suits you.
Anacabana

Post by Anacabana »

Type of URM: African-American

Attending: Yale

GPA: 3.9

LSAT: 165

Other acceptances: Stanford; Chicago; Columbia; NYU; Duke; Berkeley; Georgetown
Last edited by Anacabana on Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
KENYADIGG1T

Post by KENYADIGG1T »

Stjeff00 wrote: ↑Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:00 am
principalagent wrote: ↑Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:51 am
I was hoping I wasn't the only one that caught that :lol: :lol:
Watch me make this a thing πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
KENYADIGG1T

Post by KENYADIGG1T »

triplem wrote: ↑Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:40 pm
KENYADIGG1T wrote: ↑Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:28 pm ...

Not advice so much as a favor. Would you be so kind as to take a pen up to the financial aid office and add a few zeros onto my aid offer? The zeros must go after the first number and before the decimal... but anywhere in there is fine. You can choose however many zeros you feel in the moment; consider it an artistic expression.
Say no more fam I gotchu
blackishpanther

Post by blackishpanther »

Attending: NYU ($$$$-RTK)

GPA: 3.68

LSAT: 167

Undergrad: Small Liberal Arts

Softs: Extensive leadership experience in undergrad; a ton of social justice-oriented extracurriculars, internships, and jobs, especially dealing with criminal justice reform; 2 years of work experience, including an AmeriCorps fellowship

Approx. Time of Application: Early November

Other acceptances: Berkeley ($$$$), Northwestern ($$), Georgetown ($$$), Tulane ($$$$), Howard ($$$$), USC ($$$), UCLA ($$), Cornell ($$$$), Vanderbilt ($$), Duke ($$), BU ($$$), Fordham ($$$), Emory ($$$)

Waitlists: UPenn (Withdrawn), Chicago (Withdrawn), Michigan (Withdrawn)

Withdrawals: Columbia

Advice:

1. Don't be afraid to take the LSAT more than once. I took it 3 times, including one time where I freaked out and cancelled my score, and it didn't seem to really impact my cycle at all. I didn't even bother writing an addendum explaining the retakes because an admissions officer at a Columbia info session said retakes with upward trends were pretty self-explanatory. That being said, I doubt that it would have hurt my application to write one and a more complicated retake situation would probably warrant one.
2. Softs matter!!! I kind of got the vibe schools are making more of an effort to look at applications holistically, which is super awesome. I really didn't have high expectations for this cycle because my LSAT still wasn't quite where I wanted it to be and my GPA is pretty meh for T-14, especially considering the fact that I didn't go to a top school for undergrad. I had always heard that numbers far outweighed everything else when it came to getting admitted so I figured most of my schools were reaches. I think having a very clear social justice "theme" in most of my activities and work experience was super helpful and I think taking time off after undergrad was a big plus as well.
3. Schools have a good chunk of money to throw at applicants that they want and the sticker price you see in the brochure shouldn't stop you from applying, especially if you get offered a fee waiver. There's no guarantee that you'll get money from your dream school, but it's definitely not as far-fetched as you think. I got money from every single school I was accepted to, which I was most definitely was not expecting.
4. Take a lot of time with your application and try to paint a cohesive "narrative" of yourself and your journey to law school, especially if you have life experiences that inspired you to attend. Don't try to force the legal aspect though, especially in your personal statement. I wrote about criminal justice reform and how it tied in with my Black identity, which obviously deals with the law directly, but the notes I got from admissions officers seemed more impressed with the personal aspect of my essay than my ability to articulate all the nuances of a legal issue or anything like that.
5. I applied to 18 schools because I had fee waivers and like options. Options are overrated and stressful, that is all.
6. Relax (easier said than done, I know). This process is a crapshoot in a lot of ways and there's just as much, if not more, that's out of your control as there is in your control. Focus on what's in your control and let the rest go (Again, way easier said than done).
BlondeAmbiti0n

Post by BlondeAmbiti0n »

Type of URM: PR

Attending: Northwestern ($$)

GPA: 3.62

LSAT: 169

Undergrad: Ivy

Softs: first generation college student/low income background; decently involved in UG; big fed internship for the past year that I think was my strongest soft/came up in all my interviews

Approx. Time of Application: late Oct.

Other acceptances: Chicago ($), Duke ($$), Michigan ($$), Berkeley, UCLA, USC ($$), Georgetown, Vandy ($$)

Rejections: none yet

Waitlists: UVA, Penn, Columbia (Reserve technically)

Still Pending (lol): Yale, Stanford

Advice:

Everyone has some amazing advice that I echo, especially the points on applying early and broadly & keeping an open mind (both of which were critical to me this cycle).

Also:
  • Recommendations: Make sure they are professors who’ve seen your best work and who have also seen your best self. They shouldn’t just regurgitate information that could be gleaned from your resume/personal statement/transcript. They should have stories about you that only they could tell, and stories that demonstrate who you are and what makes you a unique, awesome candidate. My recommenders were both professors at the beginnings of their careers with whom I had forged strong bonds during and after their classes and I think their letters really helped me.
  • Writing: Like a lot of people have said: craft a cohesive narrative throughout your application. My PS, DS, and Why X supplements all illustrated different facets of who I am as a person and applicant but they also dovetailed into each other so that the person reading my application had a clear idea of who I am, where I’m going, and how I could fit at their school. Don’t shy away from what makes your perspective unique. A lot of URMs are also first gen (I am too so represent ya’ll) and there’s a tendency among us to want to shy away from what we’ve overcome. You don’t have to distance yourself from your struggle; your results are legitimate and everything you have overcome to get there just as much informs who you are as an applicant as your LSAT/GPA/etc. Embrace what you’ve overcome and achieved and how that has impacted your perspective; schools want to see that because they know just how valuable that perspective is.
  • ~Words of Wisdom~: Be unabashedly proud (but also humble) with everything you have and will achieved. Your cycle will inevitably be filled with highs and lows, but remember to embrace the highs and enjoy the moments while also having grace with yourself during the lows.
Always happy to talk about my experiences/offer advice/just chat about whatever, so feel free to shoot me a PM anytime!
P55

Post by P55 »

Attending: Stanford $$

GPA: 3.55

LSAT: 166

Undergrad: Liberal Arts

Softs: Campus Involvement, Prestigious political internships, 2 years in the banking sector

Approx. Time of Application: Early November

Other acceptances: UChicago $, Columbia $$, NYU, Michigan, Duke

Rejections: N/A

Waitlists: UPenn (Withdrew immediately), Harvard (Withdrew Immediately)

Advice: All has been said. My main goal during the process was just to put together "my" best application, so that I'd have no regrets when opening decisions. I recommend "letting go" in a sense. My biggest lesson was that your original personal statement will usually not be your final personal statement...a hard lesson for prideful writers. Lastly, I think that "a match is a match," so pay attention to how you feel about a school and how the school has or hasn't shown you love, in order to determine your best fit.

P.S. I never did any "Why X" essays, because my personal statement and diversity statement were both 2 pages long, and I didn't want to put together another piece of writing. It's a gamble, but it isn't always a deal breaker.
LSNlife

Post by LSNlife »

Attending: UPenn $$

GPA: 3.2

LSAT: 162 (1 take)

Undergrad: Liberal Arts

Softs: Military, 2 years Big Law Paralegal

Time of Application: Mid-October

Other Acceptances: NYU $$, UVA $, UMichigan $, Howard $$$$, Vanderbilt $$, BU $$$, WashU $$$, American $$$, Penn State Dickinson $$$$, Wake Forest $$$$, GW $

Rejections: Harvard

Waitlists: Georgetown, Duke, Northwestern, U of Georgia

Advice: I'm just going to Echo what everyone else has said. Particularly for URM admissions writing is KEY, recommendations, PS and DS are make or break, especially if you're working with numbers like mine. I did not have time to retake the LSAT but if I had I'm sure my cycle would have been even better. If you've got the chance work as hard as you can to get that score up! Don't get too caught up in the hype of "only numbers matter". Schools do pay attention to fit and the whole person concept, so shoot your shot every time, the worst thing they can tell you is "No". Always happy to talk further for anyone else working with below average numbers!

I only wrote a Why X for Michigan which was my dream school at the beginning of my cycle.
RubyRhad

Post by RubyRhad »

Attending: Penn ($$$)

GPA: 3.27 (degree GPA is 4.04; I took some time off in the middle of school and maintained a 4.0 when I returned)

LSAT: 172

Undergrad: State School

Softs: Lots of work experience, community service, and leadership positions in school/community organizations. I also had a hardship that I overcame that I think greatly contributed to my acceptances/money.

Approx. Time of Application: early January

Other acceptances: UVA ($$$$), Michigan ($$$$), Georgetown (didn't write scholly essay), Texas ($), WashU ($$$$), Vanderbilt ($$)

Rejections: n/a

Waitlists: Harvard, Columbia, Berkeley

Still Waiting: NYU, Stanford

Advice: Softs are really important for URMs. Everything you write should be super well-written. Don't forget your diversity statement. Be as unique as possible. Don't shy away from writing about hardships! Do as well as possible on the LSAT. Never stop asking for money. PM me if you have any questions, especially about being a splitter/studying for the LSAT.
law

Post by law »

Attending: UVA

GPA: 3.26

LSAT: 159, 167

Undergrad: avg state school

Softs: 2 years work experience. Socioeconomically disadvantaged background.

Approx. Time of Application: December

Other acceptances: Michigan, Northwestern, Vandy, Georgetown,

Waitlists: Duke, Penn, UCLA, Texas

Still Waiting On: NYU, Columbia

Advice: Apply early if you can, but dont be afraid to take multiple LSATs if need be. Always write the optional essays, why x essays, and diversity statements. ALWAYS try to negotiate until a school says no.
bdream96

Post by bdream96 »

Attending:Georgetown ($$)

GPA: 3.7

LSAT: 151, 157, Cancel (February)

Undergrad: Big Unimpressive State

Softs: Basically non-existent, ok existent but average af. KJD.

Approx. Time of Application: December for all non-T14 +UVA and Duke, January for the rest of the T14

Other acceptances: Vanderbilt $$, Washington & Lee$$$, Alabama $$, Wake Forest $$$, UNC $

Rejections: Harvard, lol. #ShootYourShot2018

Waitlists: Chicago, Michigan, UVA, Duke, Cornell, Emory, UGA

Advice: If you're KJD take the LSAT in June if at all possible. I was studying abroad and I think not having a June first take or the summer to study was detrimental to my whole cycle. I was lucky enough to get into one of my top choices with money but I still wonder how things could have turned out had I broke the 160's. But on a more important note I think networking was a really big part of me having a decent cycle considering my stats. I visited Vanderbilt and Wake really early on and think that helped me out a lot. Also GO TO THE LSAC FORUM, it gives you great content for a why X and a bunch of fee waivers. Go the black pre-law conference too if you can! WRITE WHY X's, I wrote why x's for every school I applied to besides Emory, UGA and Bama and really think it helped me get on some of those waitlist rather than a straight out rejection for the major reaches. Overall, just remember that you're a valuable applicant and that if you don't have any confidence about yourself it'll show in your app! Believe in yourself and trust that God will work everything else out. Best of luck to whoever's reading this, you're gonna kill it(:
Last edited by bdream96 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.