Switching Summer Job

Anon1

Switching Summer Job

Post by Anon1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:56 pm

So, without going into too much detail my summer internship has been a shitshow so far. I'm at a small nonprofit and they fired one of the attorneys on my second day. The other attorneys are furious and in the process of unionizing and might go on strike. Apparently there's been massive turnover there recently and tons of people are quitting. My direct supervisor also seems totally checked out and basically has one foot out the door. I'm also realizing I don't really want to do this kind of legal work as a career.
I checked and I can still get an internship at the public defender's office in this city if I want. This was my goal going into law school and I think it will be a better fit. I'm planning on quitting and switching over to the public defender, but I just wanted to check if anyone thought this would be a terrible decision for some reason I'm not thinking of. I'm sure they'll be pissed at my current internship, but I'm willing to risk that to get out of there.

CS1775

Re: Switching Summer Job

Post by CS1775 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:16 pm

I'm not sure how to leave a legal internship besides sending a notice of resignation (I'm guessing you want to be out of there ASAP and to avoid conflicts with the PD). What I can say is that small private firms may hire summer interns much later than bigger places, if you have an interest.

Anon1

Post by Anon1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:20 pm

CS1775 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:16 pm
I'm not sure how to leave a legal internship besides sending a notice of resignation (I'm guessing you want to be out of there ASAP and to avoid conflicts with the PD). What I can say is that small private firms may hire summer interns much later than bigger places, if you have an interest.
Yeah, that's what I mean. I would be quitting one internship and starting another. I already know I have one lined up with the PD if I want it, I'm not looking at small private firms.

blueapple

Post by blueapple » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Yeah I'd say switch to the PD internship.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:20 pm

Normally I'd advise against burning any bridges but it seems like they're not going to look out for you and it's a toxic work environment. If they ask why, you can be polite but candid about the workplace environment giving you concern.

North

Post by North » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:44 am

Yeah def switch